Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Bumper Protector Application

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Bumper Protector Application

I ordered, and received, the vinyl rear bumper protector for my new xB and the installation instructions are a little weird. First, it says that one of the tools needed for installation is a heat gun but no where in the actual instructions does it say where it's needed. Secondly, the directions say to use a 4" squeege to apply the protector, not to use your hand(s). I've tried finding a 4" squeege in several different places with no luck. Last, this, what I thought would be an easy install, looks like a two-man job that could turn to disaster very quickly.

Has anyone installed one of these protectors and, if so, any tips on how to do it easily without any problems?

Thanks....
Old 06-13-2007, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

The heat gun doesn't necessarily need to be used. As far as a 4" squeege, you can get away with using a credit card or something of that same size. There should be paper underneath the applique protecting the sticky tape. This paper should be divided into multiple sections. Make sure you have the applique centered before applying and a clean surface. Most people wipe down the top of the bumper with some type of adhesive remover then with a damp cloth. You will want to start at one end with the smallest exposed area after removing the tape. Either right to left or vice versa. Once you've started to lay down the applique, use your flat edge tool to smooth out the applique and remove any bubbles. You will want to take your time with laying the applique to eliminate any huge bubbles. If there are any bubbles after you've finished, remove by taking a pin or corner of a flat edge razor to poke a hole and smooth out.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Tavis,
Thanks for your reply, what you described makes all kinds of sense. Unfortunately, the directions on the protector are quite different. They want you to remove the whole paper, which is in one big piece, before you install the protector. Then, the directions say, start at the center of the protector and work your way from the middle to the outside. If the paper was in sections, like you described, it would seem to make the whole application easier. Looks like I'll just have to take my time and see what happens.
Thanks again....
Old 06-13-2007, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would wet the whole area with some water with a very small amount of dish detergent (like a couple drops in a quart spray bottle) then peel off the whole backing and place the protector. You'll still be able to slide it since it's floating on the water. Then when you have it in place, squeegee out all the water. This is the typical way to apply large vinyl decals or clear bumper/headlight protection.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, JasonH has it right. I have also seen people use window cleaner instead of the water/detergent as it evaporates very well when heated. One thing that I want to point out, is that you should not pop bubbles with a pin or razor. All this does is allow a spot where the decal can begin to come apart later on. These bubbles almost always can be worked out with a scraper or will evaporate out. I have seen people use a plastic auto body filler spreader as a scraper as well, they are sold at most auto parts stores. Look in the phone book in your area for a sign shop or sign supply business, they will have them. And of course, don't forget that most sign shops will install this piece for you for a reasonable price, and most of them have alot of experience installing these types of things !
Old 06-14-2007, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Guys, this isn't a decal, it's a piece of PVC made for the xB from a Toyota/Scion dealer....http://www.scion.com/bys/pub/media?id=21101296

I'm sure the decal thing wouldn't work....
Old 06-14-2007, 04:04 AM
SL Member

Extreme.......Are your front windows Tinted?