Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Camry or xB?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Camry or xB?

here's the deal

my family is a very "open" family when it comes to cars which is something im greatful for.
we HAVE to get a new car/truck pretty soon. meaning obama's cars program comes in effect july 24 and so after that we were planning on turning in our 98 Grand Cherokee V8 for the $4500 check he'd give us if we bought a new car.
The thing burns oil and has all the typical American car problems.

these are the choices
4.6 liter Tundra double cab -around 26k
2009 Camry LE-around 19k
2010 xB -around 18k

of course im figuring tax, title, tags, dealer fee which is $500 here and all which the 4500 from the Grand Cherokee should cover

i have 5 ppl in my fam total and it would be nice to have something to carry everyone around in, or my dad could get the tundra but i can drive it but the gas it takes it just crazy (not complaning of course its a big truck w/a v8 and all...

and the Camry only bc my mom is not too happy w.the styling pretty much only reason Camry is on the list

of course u guys are biased but what would u choose....i almost wanna go w/Camry cause mpg is greater and i would drive it to school everyday but the xB is wayy bigger inside for 5 ppl comfortably

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-11-2017 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

o all the cars would be new btw since the "cars" program only discounts the jeep if i buy a new car
Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well it depends on how you would be using the car, The camry and xb are good daily drivers, good on mpg and overall comfort. With gas prices the way they are I wouldn't recommend any truck unless you had specific need for it. The Camry has 2.5L engine while xB has 2.4L engine, so for the most part I think you would be getting the about same mpg for either car.

I'd say go with the xB, not because I'm biased but even if you don't like the style you can't deny that it would probably fit 5 people and their stuff better than a Camry would. Factor in that you get a better stereo with the xB and it just seems like a more logical choice. Also, a good compromise would be a Toyota Matrix.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes get the xB2. not only will you fit 5 people in there, the hatch gives you tons more cargo room than a traditional trunk as on the camry. also, the standard features on the xB are a lot more exciting than the camry and for a cheaper price. additionally, parking will be easier in the box, and it is incredibly easy to drive (a good thing for the driving folks in your family if they ever need to take the car out). MPG-wise, it will be the same as the camry pretty much, since the engines are almost identical, and with driving it to school as you say, it's going to be the same kind of mpg for daily driving.

out of the 3 choices you listed, the xB2 is definitely the logical choice IMO.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

actually the xb is actually worse mpg due to the aerodynamics and heavier weight im guessing

xb 22city28hwy
camry 22city-32hwy

i am actually leaning towards the xb bc of the whole comm. out there, and i'd have something to do besides stare at a boring old camry all day.

i heard the xb is "top heavy" in turns. have any of yall noticed that???

i do have about 50 hwy miles to do per day to get to school so it is a consideration. any opinion from the ppl that voted camry.

thank u for both ur inputs
Old 07-16-2009, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

XB is the way to go. You will love it. As all XB lovers love there's. Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:09 PM
SL Member

If XB and Camry are the only two choice then I go for XB.
Do you want to consider Rav4? It's about the same price of Camry but has the room of XB, more horse power but has the same mpg of XB. I was thinking of getting the Rav4 but went with XB cuz I need to save some money.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

i would get xB it looks cool and have good features!!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:41 PM
SL Member

I don't think it feels top heavy at all, then again I don't push it around corners like a sports car.
Kiiski
Old 07-16-2009, 03:34 PM

You're actually in luck that all of your options are going to be found at the same dealer.

If you have anyone considerably tall in your family, I'd have to say the xB is much more comfortable for them, ~1.5 inches more headroom for the driver, but each has their own characteristics when it comes to seating - the camry offers more shoulder room in the rear (less of a squished together feeling), but the xB has a wee bit more legroom in both the front and rear. The xB boasts a much nicer sound system, though.

Overall, I'd say the xB, but if it's truly a family decision, then try sticking all of your family members in a car and see which one makes 'em complain the least. :D
Old 07-16-2009, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go with the xB, while I do see them around, at least you won't have 200 of them in the mall parking lot in silver.

That gas mileage difference is not that much to pick the camry over the xB. Another reason I like the xB is because it comes in a manual which is nice. Car and Drive did a long term test on the xB and loved it. They even stated that they didn't think that they would like it but turned out to be very useful and practical.
If you ever have to move a lager object I would think that the xB would handle it better also.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you want a car that can haul as much stuff inside as the Grand Charokee, get the xB.

Motortrend just wrapped up their 1-year long term test, the article gives a pretty good write-up of what to expect with the xB. Kind of mirrors the Car & Driver, where people didn't really like the exterior look but after driving it loved it, even over the 1gen (which one of the editors also owns).

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ict/index.html

Best quote,

"This xB is so smooth and roomy, why would you buy a Civic?" Ed just stared back and replied, "Good question."
Old 07-16-2009, 07:58 PM
SL Member

i take 25mph turns at 60... then agian im not stock

top heavy? no.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you like modify, go for xB
if you like family commute, go for Camry
if you like moving stuffs, go for a truck

end of story :-)
Old 07-18-2009, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Time to get my opinion in on this.

Even though I do love the xB, I would probably lean you towards the Camry. The reason why is because of the ride quality. The Camry is a stronger build than the xB, so you're going to get a much more comfortable ride than the xB. There won't be as many high revs in the car, it's a softer and quieter ride, and there aren't as many rattles.

My box is for myself only, and therefore, I am not too concerned with pleasing others with my driving. You get a lot of good features in the Camry and good room as it is a midsize sedan. If you're concerned about sound, in-car entertainment, or anything of that like, the xB is the way to go.

But in terms of pleasing everyone, I think it is important to ride in a car that doesn't feel as cheap. The Camry is definitely more high-end in terms of ride quality. The xB still rides nice, though.

I'd suggest test driving both the Camry and the xB and seeing which one appeals to you. Again, if you were by yourself, I'd recommend the xB. But since you have 5 people, I'd steer you towards the Camry simply because it'll drive better. Plus the A/C won't run obnoxiously loud as it does in the xB.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

lol at the ac thats what my dad said...i went and test drove an xb today....this is what i think

the overall car seems cheap like u can tell it isn't of the finest quality...

it took me like 5 min to adjust the seat and everything is so rough and harsh...when i buy a new car i don't expect the seat to slide with a jerk...i want it to slide smooth...

no matter what position i got it in the steering wheel felt weird...

i think it might actually have more interior room than the camry

i loved the audio system and a sub is a must no matter what i get

camry undoubtedly has wayyy better finish quality

there is no blind spot in the xb

the armrest thing in the xb is weird/ugly/awkward

the camry def. has better finish quality...only sat in one didnt drive it
Old 07-19-2009, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

the brakes on the xb felt quishy as hell ...one sec i wasnt slowing down. and a slight tap better i slow down like mad to a jerk...it feels weird

this had about 100 mi on it but i still think the xb could use more power

most 4 bangers i no shift around 3k or 2.8k...
but this xb was shifting around 3.2k or higher so it felt a little slow and the rpms are pretty high at like 55 so i would hate to see them at highway speed

the driver seat felt better in the camry

camry costs a lot more..
Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 AM

Default xb or camry???

I traded my 08 Honda Accord to the XB. Why??? I find the mid size car segment boring. unless you go for the Euro of course. I never regret getting the XB. It is fun to drive and you can do a lot of stuff with it. Camrys are good but you are like all the rest. I want something that you dont see in every street corner you drive. You will sacrifice a bit for the ride because of the shorter wheel base but definitely i life the feel. Cargo space is also sufficient.

Good luck!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the worst thing about the xB is the harsh run of the air conditioner. It makes my car feel so cheap. My girl has a brand new 09 Ford Focus coupe and hers runs much smoother than mine.

But to be real, you do get a good car out of the xB. The seats are comfortable and if you're of average height (5'10" or so), then you shouldn't have much problems in the car. The arm rests are a bit low though, so it's weird trying to sit comfortably in it.

Drive the xB a little bit more and you'll easily find the blind spot. It's the massive C-pillars in the back. They're what... 2 feet long? Perhaps that's an exaggeration, but that's what it feels like me. I just practice driving safer in the box. Make sure that I'm really clear when I switch lanes.

Originally Posted by indiantc
the brakes on the xb felt quishy as hell ...one sec i wasnt slowing down. and a slight tap better i slow down like mad to a jerk...it feels weird

this had about 100 mi on it but i still think the xb could use more power

most 4 bangers i no shift around 3k or 2.8k...
but this xb was shifting around 3.2k or higher so it felt a little slow and the rpms are pretty high at like 55 so i would hate to see them at highway speed

the driver seat felt better in the camry
The brakes feel fine to me (I'm running on stock and now am at 29k miles). If they're uncomfortable, they can easily be supplemented, but I wouldn't recommend it because they have good stopping distances IMO. The xB has a lot more power than the predecessor so I'm content with that: if you drive at 80 on the freeway, expect to be pushing 3.2k rpm easy. Gas mileage will be at around 24mph.

The seat quality is much better in the Camry because it's a more refined car. Which is why I suggest that you go with the Camry since you're having many people ride this car on a daily basis. Comfort is better than looks. I'm sorry, but it's true. I wish my box was a lot more comfortable and refined, but I wouldn't want to pay a lot more for it. I wanted a cheap car to take me through college and a little bit beyond, and this is what I get. Only it's a Toyota, and not a cheap Dodge that needs a new transmission at 30,000 miles.

Don't drive a car you will not be fully satisfied in.
If you are not comfortable with the xB, don't buy it because you will regret it in the future. And that being said, your personal opinion of Toyota will be affected and perhaps, in turn, you'll disparage other's opinions by informing them of the lower quality of Scions when compared to high quality Camry's.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Utility or comfort? I find the gen 2 XB front seats more supportive than the Camry & a lot more user friendly space ( I can fit all my drums, cymbals, stands, etc in easily )

Love hate styling or bland?

Blank canvas to personalize or Not? You can customize a Camry but.......

The Camry has many desirable qualities but not the XB statement. You need to live with the car, drive it daily and last but not least, find it in a parking lot......

The XB is not a Camry but it does measure up well IMHO. It's great bang for $$$ & leaves some room to add your own personal touch without breaking the bank.

Quick Reply: Camry or xB?