84.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Camry or xB?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does the Camry squeak as much as the xB? Just curious as I've only ridden in a Camry and never drove it.

My box is always squeaking and the a/c is annoying as hell when running. It's loud and is constantly straining to operate and thus shakes the car when I'm idling. I hate that. Took it to the dealer and they said there's nothing wrong with it and that all a/c's in the Scions run like that.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Camry

Does the Camry squeak as much as the xB? My XBs, gen1 & 2, hardly ever squeak..... ever. The gen 1 has 85+k & rattles a bit on our bad roads & we have pleanty, I have the bent rims to prove it.

the a/c is annoying as hell when running. It's loud and is constantly straining to operate and thus shakes the car when I'm idling. I hate that. Took it to the dealer and they said there's nothing wrong with it and that all a/c's in the Scions run like that. The gen 1 AC is loud at the highest setting, the gen 2 is hardly noticeable. If your AC is loud, I'd say there is a problem. Squeaks, I believe there is a TSB for some problem in the front of the car ( body )

My inlaws have 2 Camrys, an 06 & 09. The 09 is very nice but it cost 6k more than my 08 XB. The 06 is much more sophisticated than my 05 XB, however the money I saved was spent on a few add ons, 2 tone paint, a blower, wheels, Katzkin interior, wheels, & more.....
Old 07-26-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is a TSB? I have a squeak at the front of the car, but no rattles at all: circa 29,000 miles.

As for the a/c on my xB2, it is DEFINITELY loud, especially when it's hot. It is always straining to operate and shakes the car at higher settings. Very annoying and really ticks me off.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
What is a TSB?
Toyota Service Bulletin... it's not a warranty recall, just a notation from Toyota Corporate to all of their dealerships that there have been enough reports of problems that the dealerships should make the specified repairs and file the costs against Toyota Corporate under the bulletin #. It's a way for Toyota to keep their whinie customers happy without havin to do a major recall to fix cars of owners that have never perceived the problem.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin & every auto manufacturer has them.They are issued by NHTSA .

"As for the a/c on my xB2, it is DEFINITELY loud, especially when it's hot. It is always straining to operate and shakes the car at higher settings. Very annoying and really ticks me off." = this is wrong.

Either the compressor, the clutch or both are bad. Other than the fan speed inside the car there should not be any under hood shutter or noise that would be at a level that you describe.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@Steve60: I'm very certain that the clutch is not bad as the clutch has nothing to do with the a/c component (unless there's a non-specific transmission-related component that is also called a clutch). I'm VERY certain that one of the components involving the operation of the a/c (blower motor, compressor, etc.) is what causes the car to be loud and sometimes shake when at higher fan speeds.

Maybe I should post a video of how bad it sounds.

@Cionide and Steve60: Unfortunately at this stage, I do feel like a whiny customer in regards to my a/c and the creaks. Granted, I understand that I bought a cheaper Toyota, but I'd rather my box be substantially more quiet. When I brought my car into the dealer, they told me nothing was wrong with it. Maybe I should bring it back again, and this time mention the TSB and hopefully that'll help them "identify" the problems.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The compressor clutch for the AC.........
You'll need to do a search for a TSB relating to your issue before going to the dealer. If that doesn't work, they'll listen if you have a running chain saw in your right hand......
Yes! post a video
Old 07-26-2009, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
@Cionide and Steve60: Unfortunately at this stage, I do feel like a whiny customer in regards to my a/c and the creaks.
I wasn't trying to refer to you specifically as a whiny customer, just one of the reasons for a TSB instead of turning something into a full blown warranty item.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cionide - I don't think pyroman took it that way.

Service people, in general, try to dumb you down...... tell you what tires you should buy, oil to use, you spelled your name wrong...... or how about "the address you wrote here, is this where you live?" It's no wounder people feel the way they do...... Oh, btw it's spelled CYANIDE!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Steve60
Oh, btw it's spelled CYANIDE!
Yes it is, unless it's a sCION.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
I wasn't trying to refer to you specifically as a whiny customer, just one of the reasons for a TSB instead of turning something into a full blown warranty item.
Nah, I know you weren't referring to me that way so I took no offense whatsoever. I understand the general public is horrendously stupid and consistently complain about minor inconveniences regarding cars - hence JD Powers and Associates consumer reviews on car issues to be quite biased in terms of "expecting more than what is provided". I understand my Scion is not the premier Toyota brand, Lexus, and therefore I do not expect superb quality out of my car. It is why the interior is designed out of plastics and not the same materials as you see in the Toyota Tundra. I don't care. I just want my a/c to not be a p.o.s. if you understand where I'm coming from. Toyota is a quality company, not like Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge. If I wanted to buy a new transmission for my car at 30,000 miles, I'd go out and buy a Dodge Caliber just so I can spend that extra money and have a fridge in my car, too. It's great that I can keep drinks cool in my car while spending 3,000 for a new transmission after... what, a year of ownership? And I apologize for the segue there. The point I'd like to reiterate there is that I have but 2 outstanding issues with my car - they are issues I can accept and deal with, but I would expect more out of Toyota. I didn't buy a crappy American car.

Anyway, I am not aware of any TSBs (according to my insurance provider, Progressive). They do not have anything posted on their web site regarding recalls or other issues with the 08 Scion xB. I will contemplate making a video regarding the noise. I live in sunny Jacksonville, FL where the weather is stifling; ergo, I will have no problems replicating the issues that I consistently experience on a daily commute. Perhaps then some members here can not only empathize, but also understand my troubling issues and gripes that I found with my box.

Originally Posted by Steve60
The compressor clutch for the AC.........
You'll need to do a search for a TSB relating to your issue before going to the dealer. If that doesn't work, they'll listen if you have a running chain saw in your right hand......
Yes! post a video
I have basic/intermediate experience with cars and 0% experience with a/c's. I know what a compressor is, but not a clutch and naturally, correlated it to a transmission issue. Tomorrow I have a solid day off so perhaps I will record this issue I experience in the sunny Florida... sunshine. Thank you for your help in advance.

And as for the implied threat with the chainsaw, I'm sure that salespersons at dealerships have endured far worse pressure than that. I'd hate to work for a sales manager at a car dealership.

Wow, we hijacked this thread.