Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Check page bottom 4!!Please Help! anyone with coilover knowledge.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1GreeKtC
I really don't know how those things work.
You're screwed.

j/k
Old 06-06-2010, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

I got an idea and my boy Skeeet doing the install, but like most people out there, no experience with everything.

:/
Old 06-06-2010, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Full coilovers are typically meant to lower the car and give it a firmer ride.
You can't install lowering springs or coilovers and expect a more luxury car like ride.

How a car feels is very, very subjective.
I prefer to feel every bump through my seat and steering wheel, so I would probably tell you coilovers feel great.
Someone else who just wants a better looking car without sacrificing ride quality would probably tell you the same coilovers ride like ****.

Why did you want coilovers and what were you expecting from them?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

I wanted the car to go lower and I was/am willing to sacrifice some comfort, it's not like my Hotchkis were butter-like.

But this.....is just insane....I cannot describe to you how bumpy they are, I have a feeling we did something wrong on the install, yet everything lines up no problem and I've driven ~80 miles and still alive. WTF!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

page one update!!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

They should be very stiff and harsher than stock, but if they are bouncy (As in bouncing up and down), even with the dampers set that stiff, the damper are no good or poorly designed, aka not designed well to match the spring rates/suspension frequency.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

32 way adjustable, should just put it right in the middle and call it a day.

thanks for posting man.
If I remember right, do they have the setting numbers on your coilover plates? For I.E. it would say 1-8 for track use- 8-12 for back roads or whatever, etc....

I would use that as a reference point and try and adjust from there. I had full fiberglass seats and coilovers and low profile tires on my old car, and I didn't think that ride was that bad? I don't see why it would be bad on our cars other then the fact I had independant rear suspension. Prob makes a huge difference.

I actually enjoyed the ride more because I didn;t get the rebound bounce. It would just compress and go back without even noticing the movement.

Edit: Just read your page1 update. If you are having bounce problem not stiffness problem then change your spring rate!!!! Do you know of any professional shops in teh area that can corner balance?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how are you adjusting ride height with the spring or the knuckle and ksports are rather stiff that could be the issue to i know i have to give up some comfort for performance
Old 06-06-2010, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also remember that you came from stocklike suspension give it a day or two and you will get semi use to it.but mine aren't as bad as you say yours are.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Originally Posted by oreoremix42
If I remember right, do they have the setting numbers on your coilover plates? For I.E. it would say 1-8 for track use- 8-12 for back roads or whatever, etc....

I would use that as a reference point and try and adjust from there. I had full fiberglass seats and coilovers and low profile tires on my old car, and I didn't think that ride was that bad? I don't see why it would be bad on our cars other then the fact I had independant rear suspension. Prob makes a huge difference.

I actually enjoyed the ride more because I didn;t get the rebound bounce. It would just compress and go back without even noticing the movement.

Edit: Just read your page1 update. If you are having bounce problem not stiffness problem then change your spring rate!!!! Do you know of any professional shops in teh area that can corner balance?
I wish it was stiff but it's not. The setting goes from Soft to Hard and you can dial it according to your liking, thing is that it's not very responsive. It's still hella bouncy for it to be just 3 clicks away from full stiff. :/
How often do people f*ck with the spring rate? I figured this would just be plug and play, wtf...now I gotta pay $$$ to get that fixed?
Originally Posted by coryjames
how are you adjusting ride height with the spring or the knuckle and ksports are rather stiff that could be the issue to i know i have to give up some comfort for performance
I adjust it through the two twisting rings that interlock and keep the spring for going past them. Like I said earlier, I was aware of some discomfort coming my way but there's no way anyone drives like this.
Originally Posted by papo
also remember that you came from stocklike suspension give it a day or two and you will get semi use to it.but mine aren't as bad as you say yours are.
It doesn't appear like an issue that would be resolved once the springs settle, I have a feeling that we did something wrong.

The only thing I can think of (noob question). Once the car sitting on stands the front springs were just very loose, they had about 5" of travel (up and down) granted there was no load on them but yeah that's the only thing I can think of.

Spring rate is 5.3kg/296lbs for the fronts and 2.2kg/123lbs in the rears.....does this help me at all...

thanks again everyone.

Last edited by 1GreeKtC; 06-06-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by oreoremix42

You corner balance a set of coilovers by adjusting ride height at each corner to get the cross weights equal, not by changing spring rates.

If you have bounce, it is because your dampers are not correct for the spring.

You could lower the spring rate, but the better method would be to keep the stiffer springs for handling reasons and get a setup with proper damping. Still not completely clear though if he really means bounce or stiff.

And is this a newer xB or the first gen? If 2nd gen those are soft springs ... if you think those are harsh try running 390F/550R springs on a 2900 lb car like I am... handles great, but yours is squishy soft in comparison With rates like that it seems like they tried to do a drop while keeping ride comfort, which is utter garbage. What may be happening is that the super soft springs in conjunction with lowered ride height has you hitting the bump stops, which makes it very bouncy.

If it is a first gen, then those rates may not be bad (much lighter vehicle).
Old 06-06-2010, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
You corner balance a set of coilovers by adjusting ride height at each corner to get the cross weights equal, not by changing spring rates.
Yes I know? Thats why I asked if he knows of a shop. They a lot of the times will adjust settings if he wants them a certain way.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

It's a 2nd Gen and I highly doubt I'm the first guy that has bought and installed these things, so many owners, including Neek, have them and do not complain about this much bounce.

Alright, just took a drive to my buddy's house and here's how I would describe the issue.
The front bounces pretty much uncontrollably, as if the spring doesn't stop anywhere and just hop all around.

Any ideas?

ps It's just the fronts that bug out like that.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you put adjustable sway bar end links on? If not, your car might be riding on the sway bar.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a 2nd Gen and I highly doubt I'm the first guy that has bought and installed these things, so many owners, including Neek, have them and do not complain about this much bounce.

Alright, just took a drive to my buddy's house and here's how I would describe the issue.
The front bounces pretty much uncontrollably, as if the spring doesn't stop anywhere and just hop all around.

Any ideas?

Try tightening up the front spring rate?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any ideas?

i asked neek he says his are pretty bouncy but you have to sacrifice something to be stanceddd. :/
Old 06-06-2010, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish it was stiff but it's not. The setting goes from Soft to Hard and you can dial it according to your liking, thing is that it's not very responsive. It's still hella bouncy for it to be just 3 clicks away from full stiff. :/
How often do people f*ck with the spring rate? I figured this would just be plug and play, wtf...now I gotta pay $$$ to get that fixed?

I adjust it through the two twisting rings that interlock and keep the spring for going past them. Like I said earlier, I was aware of some discomfort coming my way but there's no way anyone drives like this.

It doesn't appear like an issue that would be resolved once the springs settle, I have a feeling that we did something wrong.

The only thing I can think of (noob question). Once the car sitting on stands the front springs were just very loose, they had about 5" of travel (up and down) granted there was no load on them but yeah that's the only thing I can think of.

Spring rate is 5.3kg/296lbs for the fronts and 2.2kg/123lbs in the rears.....does this help me at all...

thanks again everyone.

wait your adjusting them via the spring? thats your problem right there, they have a set tension theres not suppose to be any play on the spring. your suppose to thread the body so the springs tension remains the same...
Old 06-07-2010, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You dont "tighten up" spring rate.

The adjusting rings adjust height, not play in the spring. The stiffness he is adjusting is the dampers.

And if those rates are correct, for a 2nd gen, those are definitely "I want to drop and keep ride comfort" coilovers. Those rates a way too low for a decent drop and handling on a 3000 lb xb. Those are closer to stock tC spring rates. A huge problem with tein lowering springs for the tC is that they are WAY too soft and when you push the car hard in a turn, you are bouncing off the bump stops. Not saying that is all of your issue, but I am saying those are soft **** springs.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

I pretty much cannot drive without the smallest crease on the road causing me to hop all around....it's the front that causes this issue....
If Neek had this bounce in it his wheels will be done for a while!
I haven't touched the spring all I did was place the ring to the height that I thought would serve me best and tighten the one on top of it.

If this bounce is considered normal, which I doubt, might as well put them up for sale.
This is nowhere near the experience I was looking for. smh....oh well.... I traid!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Your proplem is the stockies. I've had my ksports for a while and just switched to my stockies and your right its extremely bouncy. My set up is 3 full turns in the back and 3.5 in the front. Get lower profile tires and it wont bounce like that the ride is actually really comfortable.

Quick Reply: Check page bottom 4!!Please Help! anyone with coilover knowledge.