Clunk noise when slowing down???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Surprised I didnt find this thread earlier. Heres my situation:

No clunking whatsoever until I replaced my pads with some Wagner ones. They seemed to fit perfectly but after that I get this clunking that seems to come just from the passenger front side. At times it would sound scary and I swear I could feel something wrong. There would be a creaking twisting kind of noise and I was afraid something was about to snap. I took everything apart and applied a generous amount of CRC Synthetic brake grease. This stopped everything and the car felt smoother during braking. After a week of that I end up being run off the road and going sideways sending dirt everywhere under my car. Clunking returns. I reapplied the grease but the clunking still remains when I slowdown. Im also getting squealing and think I just may need new rotors. I had them turned when I replaced the pads but idk I feel like they are still warped a bit. I took it to the dealership a while back and they told me it was "pad shift" and that it was normal. So now Im driving it just fine and it feels ok but the steering wheel seems to shake when I slow down now. I dont feel like this pad shift is a good thing at all. Shouldnt pads be flat and steady against the rotor while braking? I feel like pad shift has contributed to uneven wear on my rotors thus making braking very shakey. Its whatever though I plan to purchase new rotors and pads in the near future and hopefully that will solve this problem. Its a bit embarassing though as Im coming to a stop and i hear this almost scraping clicking noise as I roll to a stop. Its loud...
It basically sounds like you have pretty much already figured it out. That would have been my guesses as well... Pad shift, which depending upon the brand should be rather minimal if it was shifting that much I would have bought a different brand of pads. As for the shaking in the steering wheel I would suspect that the rotor is warped. So basically yeah, if you are planning on buying new pads and rotors that would solve it.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but did anyone check the control arm?

I have an 08 auto and when I would slow down, I would hear a clunk sound, too. The conditions of occurrence described on page one were identical to my experience, only mine was determined to be the control arm. When I brought it to the dealer, they tightened it up and it hasn't done that since.

This could be another potential issue that others could potentially be seeing.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but did anyone check the control arm?

I have an 08 auto and when I would slow down, I would hear a clunk sound, too. The conditions of occurrence described on page one were identical to my experience, only mine was determined to be the control arm. When I brought it to the dealer, they tightened it up and it hasn't done that since.

This could be another potential issue that others could potentially be seeing.
Thanks for the reply! What do you mean by tightening the control arm? What part/area?

I know for a fact this isn't the brakes causing my issue, it is the automatic transmission downshifting hard (@ about 17mph) on slowing down like described earlier.

Last edited by xbtalk; 08-24-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not entirely sure what they did, but the dealership technicians alerted me that the problem was the control arm on my xB, so they tightened up the nuts and bolts on it and since then, no clunk noises.

I'd take it in to the dealer and have them investigate the control arm.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
I'm not entirely sure what they did, but the dealership technicians alerted me that the problem was the control arm on my xB, so they tightened up the nuts and bolts on it and since then, no clunk noises.

I'd take it in to the dealer and have them investigate the control arm.
Was this causing the transmission to downshift prematurely on slowing down? My clunking noise seems to be in the transmission (exactly like the first poster) and is able to be reproduced by slowing down to 17 MPH after the engine is completely warmed up only with the lights OFF. Is it the control arm play/movement/sway causing issues with sensors which make the tranny downshift? Or maybe these are two different issues?
Old 08-27-2010, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Found this TSB from Ford that describes a clunking noise on a 2nd to 1st downshift, and checking the proper torque of the control arm is part of the procedure/fix. This may be it pyroman131!

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/01-13-07.pdf
Old 08-28-2010, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sounds precisely how mine was. I'm driving an automatic xB, but while the car slowed down and began shifting down from 2nd to 1st gear, I would hear that clunking sound, and usually the car would jolt.

I'm assuming that tightening it to the appropriate torque fixed the issue because I never had an issue with the control arm since.

Granted, your issue could be different, but I suspect this might be something to invest interest in the next time you are at the dealership.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where is my control arm and can I tighten it myself
Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@FroZone: Not sure where it is because I had the dealer deal with it. I suspect that it might be in the Scion manual, if not, a quick trip to the dealer should suffice. I also suspect that they might be able to furnish the torque setting for you and give you an idea of where the control arm is.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing that makes me believe it isn't the control arm is that the car doesn't do it when the headlights are on, as described earlier in the thread. If it was the control arm, why would it not do it when the lights are on? Unless the control arm affects a sensor reading, I wouldn't think adjusting the torque would help.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

After doing some research, I think this issue is with the calibration codes that are flashed in the ECM, especially since it really does it all the time when the vehicle is warmed up and it is warm outside. I also saw a post on Edmunds about a 2011 xB doing the same thing (when slowing down, you will sometimes get a downshift clunk).

Toyota looks like they fixed a similar issue (but with acceleration downshift below 20mph, not deceleration downshift below 20mph) with T-SB-0285-10 and T-SB-0393-09 via a calibration update for their automatic transmission in their 2009/2010 trucks.

T-SB-0285-10
"Harsh shift on acceleration below 20 mph during the 2-1 downshift"

T-SB-0393-09
"To enhance shifting performance and smoothness below 20 mph during the 2-1 downshift"

Any new 2009, 2010, or 2011 owners out there also have this issue?

Looks like the new Subaru Outback has a similar issue:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...eleration.html

Last edited by xbtalk; 03-25-2011 at 02:22 PM.