Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Engine problems already, only 2200 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my 98 bug had a problem with the #4 spark plug loosening up and that gave off what i thought was a really bad lifter noise, but got looking one night and noticed that and was like hmmm...... only prob with that car, hope ur prob is as simple!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Just take it back to the dealer. If the problem keeps coming back, keep taking it back to the dealer. Don't get annoyed with having to bring it back, thinking that they're not fixing the problem. After the 3rd time, tell them you want a new vehicle and just say the words 'lemon law' and you'll see some progress .
Old 01-16-2008, 07:42 PM

Well, I took my car in yesterday and they said that the noise wasn't coming from my engine. The best way I can describe it is this: the section between the hood and windshield on the passenger side has a vent that has a mesh screen underneath to keep leaves out...well, they said it was the screen rattling. They're ordering another one to to replace it to see if it will get better. I don't know anything about cars, but I'm not so sure I buy that.

And, as for my brake issue, they couldn't replicate it of course so they couldn't do anything about it. The car did it when I pulled in the dealership and also halfway home. I rode around with the mechanic for almost 45 mins and couldn't get the darn thing to make a single noise. I think my car hates me.

That's all I know for now, so I guess we'll see if this whole screen thing works...should be end of the week or so.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by paris_pearl
Well, I took my car in yesterday and they said that the noise wasn't coming from my engine. The best way I can describe it is this: the section between the hood and windshield on the passenger side has a vent that has a mesh screen underneath to keep leaves out...well, they said it was the screen rattling. They're ordering another one to to replace it to see if it will get better. I don't know anything about cars, but I'm not so sure I buy that.

And, as for my brake issue, they couldn't replicate it of course so they couldn't do anything about it. The car did it when I pulled in the dealership and also halfway home. I rode around with the mechanic for almost 45 mins and couldn't get the darn thing to make a single noise. I think my car hates me.

That's all I know for now, so I guess we'll see if this whole screen thing works...should be end of the week or so.
Paris, I wonder if I have something similar going on with my brakes too. My car has about 1500 miles on it and just recently my husband and I noticed 'bump' sound when slowing down to a stop. It doesn't always happen all the time either. It usually happens when the car has been running for awhile. I notice it never happens when the car is cold or when I try to show somebody....When it does happen, It is just before I come to a stop at around 17 mph. I wonder if it is the transmission or the brakes...I know if I take it in to the dealer, it won't do it then! I just wish it would break so they can fix the problem.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 PM

Molly, that sounds exactly like what's happening with my brakes. I have noticed it being in the 15-20mph range when it happens. Sometimes it's a subtle pop and other times a very loud pop. If you figure it out before I do, please let me know.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 PM

Molly, that sounds exactly like what's happening with my brakes. I have noticed it being in the 15-20mph range when it happens. Sometimes it's a subtle pop and other times a very loud pop. If you figure it out before I do, please let me know.
I will Paris! You let me know if you find out too? It's frustrating when it doesn't happen all the time....It's worries me because I don't want to be stuck paying for a major problem after the 36 month warrenty is up. My husband wanted to take it in, but he changed his mind because it probably won't make the 'bump' noise for the dealer! It just started doing it about three weeks ago, and only when it has been run awhile, but not all the time?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

take off the peice that you (or the dealer) thinks is making the noise and see if it still does it.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:08 AM

I have been saying since I got mine late Oct. that I thought my car acted weird at 15-18 mph. I have always driven a stick and this is auto and my bf kept sayign its just downshifting. Mine is not so much of a pop noise, but it feels like it slips... is that normal?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:53 AM

I don't know if I'm describing it right? Actually the 'bump' or a 'pop' that I feel when I'm slowing down at around 17 mph feels like I ran over something on the road. My car is an automatic, could it be the anti-loc Brakes, or the transmission? It never does it when the car is cold? I hate things like this when it doesn't do it all the time!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

When it does the pop/bump, can you feel it through the brake pedal? Most stuff brake related you can feel, like warped rotors will send a pulsing feeling through the pedal. If somthing is "bumping" or "popping" and it's brake related, I think you'd feel it in the pedal. I guess it could be the tranny if it's shifting/downshifting hard. Maybe check the tranny fluid.

Hope you guys can get this figured out. I've had zero problems with mine since July (knock on wood).
Old 01-17-2008, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by MikeInABox
When it does the pop/bump, can you feel it through the brake pedal? Most stuff brake related you can feel, like warped rotors will send a pulsing feeling through the pedal. If somthing is "bumping" or "popping" and it's brake related, I think you'd feel it in the pedal. I guess it could be the tranny if it's shifting/downshifting hard. Maybe check the tranny fluid.

Hope you guys can get this figured out. I've had zero problems with mine since July (knock on wood).
Thanks Mike, you might be right... it's weird when it happens, it's just one bump when it happens...I'm the one usually driving and I can both feel it, and hear it, and so can my husband who is in the passenger seat! I'll tell my husband to check the transmission fluid!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Think I found my brake problem!!!

The caliper slide pins on the top of both the driver & passenger side front was sticking. They are supposed to move back and forth smoothly, but when my husband inspected them, they were stuck in the pushed in position. That was causing my pop and also the quick short loss of brake pressure after popping. The factory goop they put on those pins is way too thick and it was all collected at the tip of the pins. My husband cleaned them and re-lubed them with something better and haven't had a single problem yet. My brakes also feel smoother when slowing down in general.

So Molly & everyone else having this same problem, if you take your car in somewhere, tell them to check the caliper slide pins.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:38 PM

The caliper slide pins on the top of both the driver & passenger side front was sticking. They are supposed to move back and forth smoothly, but when my husband inspected them, they were stuck in the pushed in position. That was causing my pop and also the quick short loss of brake pressure after popping. The factory goop they put on those pins is way too thick and it was all collected at the tip of the pins. My husband cleaned them and re-lubed them with something better and haven't had a single problem yet. My brakes also feel smoother when slowing down in general.

So Molly & everyone else having this same problem, if you take your car in somewhere, tell them to check the caliper slide pins.

Hope this helps!
Paris thanks so much! We will check it out.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good find! That's definitely not normal, especially on a brand new car. When I replaced the pads on my wife's Camry w/ 50k+ miles on it the pins still had a ton of grease on there.

You and Molly should compare the production dates of your xB's. Maybe there was a time period where they had some crap grease at the factory or something.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the update!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:42 PM

Well, my popping is back. So, I guess it wasn't the pins, unless they are still sticking.

Maybe it's a problem with the transmission like Mike suggested. But I still feel the tiniest bit of lost pressure when it happens so I keep thinking that would mean the brakes. I just don't know. I still have to go back to the dealership so maybe they will eventually find the problem.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:36 PM

Well, my popping is back. So, I guess it wasn't the pins, unless they are still sticking.

Maybe it's a problem with the transmission like Mike suggested. But I still feel the tiniest bit of lost pressure when it happens so I keep thinking that would mean the brakes. I just don't know. I still have to go back to the dealership so maybe they will eventually find the problem.
I'm sorry to hear that! I hope we can evenually find out what it is. Mine is still doing it too. Let us know if you find out what's causing it!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by MikeInABox
Sounds to me like the valves, especially if your husband can hear it under the engine cover. That's probably also what you hear ticking when the hood is up. On most cars you can hear the valves with the hood up, but it shouldn't be crazy loud. My VW had 20 valves, talk about ticking!

That's the first thing I thought of when you said chattering an ticking. If it is the valves, they shouldn't be that noticable when your accelerating. Especially from inside the car.

Hope you get it figured out, let us know.
That's what I was thinking it sounded like, based on her description. Wonder if her oil pump is working, or if all the oil is sitting down in the pan.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 PM

Hope this helps!
Do you ladies live in cold climates?

I live in So Cal and have never experienced this. I wonder if it is just when the factory grease gets cold and hardens a bit.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM

It's quite possible Eric. I live in Tennessee and it has been colder lately. I would have to say we were having highs in the 50s when it started happening. I had the incident where I heard the popping again last Friday, but haven't heard or experienced it since. And it's been in the 20s to 40s now. I really have no clue.

Quick Reply: Engine problems already, only 2200 miles