Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Engine problems already, only 2200 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:26 AM
zio
SL Member

Default That's your tranny

That clunking sound you hear is inside your transmission, the little stacked plates are coming back together and when they slap they go clunk when slowing down.

Not a problem but that didn't happen on my XA till 80K miles though.

Zio
Old 05-08-2008, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any updates on this problem?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:13 PM

Still having the weird noise at 3500rpm, but my main problem is the clunking noise when braking. It had stopped for a while but is back to doing it again. I've taken the car in 3 times to 2 separate dealers and they cannot figure out what it is. The brakes have been checked inside and out and they found no issues. Since it only happens at a particular speed and the car must be warmed up and driven for a while, my guess is transmission related possibly...or that's what others have suggested. No one with either dealership wants to even check trans.

So finally I'd had enough and we called Scion customer service. They are supposed to call us back sometime today to see what we need to do next but will possibly have someone over regional to come and look at car but not sure when that will be.

Oh, btw, I now have a wheel bearing out on the driver side front too...just peachy.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by paris_pearl
Still having the weird noise at 3500rpm, but my main problem is the clunking noise when braking. It had stopped for a while but is back to doing it again. I've taken the car in 3 times to 2 separate dealers and they cannot figure out what it is. The brakes have been checked inside and out and they found no issues. Since it only happens at a particular speed and the car must be warmed up and driven for a while, my guess is transmission related possibly...or that's what others have suggested. No one with either dealership wants to even check trans.

So finally I'd had enough and we called Scion customer service. They are supposed to call us back sometime today to see what we need to do next but will possibly have someone over regional to come and look at car but not sure when that will be.

Oh, btw, I now have a wheel bearing out on the driver side front too...just peachy.

Paris that's a bummer about the wheel bearing. It just adds to the frustration?
I hate the clunk noise too, it probably is the transmission...When the car is out of warranty, transmissions can cost over $5000 Let me know if you find out anything?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a wheel bearing throwing oil around in my wheel im ____ed oh well guess time to take it to the dealer so they can blame the coilovers lol
Old 05-10-2008, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by coryjames
i have a wheel bearing throwing oil around in my wheel im ____ed oh well guess time to take it to the dealer so they can blame the coilovers lol
Sorry to hear about that! It's a pain taking a new car back to the dealer.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:14 PM

Still not sure when someone will come look at my car, but found out from Scion case manager that when he contacted the dealership that we last took it to, they stated that they couldn't replicate the problem...that is total BS! They heard the clunk noise several times, it's just the fact they didn't know what it was and couldn't fix anything. I'm so aggravated that they lied about it.

I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of this car and trying something else. I haven't been pleased with any part of this car or the service (or lack there of) that I have received. Can't seem to get anything done.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 PM

Still not sure when someone will come look at my car, but found out from Scion case manager that when he contacted the dealership that we last took it to, they stated that they couldn't replicate the problem...that is total BS! They heard the clunk noise several times, it's just the fact they didn't know what it was and couldn't fix anything. I'm so aggravated that they lied about it.

I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of this car and trying something else. I haven't been pleased with any part of this car or the service (or lack there of) that I have received. Can't seem to get anything done.
Paris, it sucks having a new car that has a problem the dealer says they can't find...When I hear the clunk in my car, I think some day I'm going to be stuck paying for something that's going to be expensive.

We sold two cars to buy this car and we still had to borrow some money to pay for it...I now have 3500 miles on this car and I'm not happy thinking I have a problem that no body can find. I'm frustrated too!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:26 AM

Wow And I Just Got A xB......
Old 05-12-2008, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by DJDemon
Wow And I Just Got A xB......
Enjoy your new car...The odds are in your favor you won't have a problem!
Old 05-12-2008, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Default Re: Engine problems already, only 2200 miles

I purchased a new 2008 xb in December, have put about 2200 miles on it and I already have something going on with the engine. It has a strange chattering noise to it that gets worse when accelerating. It gets quite loud around 3000-3500rpms. It didn't do this when I first got the car. I owned a 2005 xb before this and never had any issues with it. I'm a little worried that things are already going wrong when I've only owned it a little over a month.

Definitely going to take my car in to get checked but is anyone else having the same issue? Have any ideas what could be causing this?

definetly take it in, hopefully waranty would take care of it. Engine is still breaking in...weird...