Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Extended Toyota Warranty, Help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey,

I received my official Toyota "Platinum" extended warranty booklet in the mail today. I paid $614 for a 5yr./75k warranty though Troy Dietrich (of Toyota of Greenfield, MA) back on the 24th of February.

Anyway, I thought I'd add my confirmation to those already posted: These extended warranties are legit - they're the real thing!

Thanks,
Marc
Old 03-16-2012, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like Troy has his own website that gives a lot of details:

http://fd-warranty.com/
Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mr. Crow:

This is excellent information. I did a lot of research prior to risking my money with Troy, but I never happened upon the web site you discovered. It should help to inform future extended-warranty buyers. (And allay their fears!)

Marc
Old 03-17-2012, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seems legit to me. Here are the prices he quoted me for coverage on my 2012 Xb:

For the Toyota Platinum Extra Care Plan w/ $0 deductible.

6 yr / 75,000 mile plan for $459.00

7 yr / 100,000 mile plan for $754.00

8 yr / 125,000 mile plan for $1134.00

Note: these plans kick in the day after your 3 year 36k miles factory plan expires. So you can actually buy a plan at any time as long as you are still under the original 3yr/36k factory warranty.

I asked him if the plan covers "diagnostic fees" in determining what the problem is when troubleshooting an issue and this is what he said:

No, diagnostics aren't covered by any of the Toyota/Lexus plans. Their plan covers 100% of the parts and labor to repair/replace any covered component which has failed. However, many dealers will include include the diagnostic time as part of the repair if ultimately the diagnosis results in a covered claim.

-Troy

So be sure to ask your Toyota/Scion dealership if they charge a diagnostic BEFORE you bring in your vehicle. Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shane:

Thank you again. You know, I was assuming that my new extended warranty was relatively expensive because I'm almost 2&1/2 years into my 3-year basic warranty. But you've reminded me that these warranties are written to begin when the vehicle's basic warranty period ends.

I've tried to think of other actuarial variables that might explain the (high?) $614 cost of my 5-year warranty - e.g., zip code and/or model year - but none seems obvious to me. I've written to Troy to double-check that I didn't get ripped off.

Gracias, Mr. Black Bird.

Marc
Old 03-18-2012, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Two things:

One- I have bought two Scions prior of buying my xB. xA had 120k warranty which i traded in within six months which I end up getting it back in full amount. tC had 100k warranty and never made claim within the five years of ownership: no money back and it's been a month.

Two-you guys are aware GAP insurance is much cheaper with your insurance company with the car policy than getting at the dealer? Heck, Carmax doesnt even offer GAP even at new model locations because of that fact.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by shanecrow99
Seems legit to me. Here are the prices he quoted me for coverage on my 2012 Xb:

For the Toyota Platinum Extra Care Plan w/ $0 deductible.

6 yr / 75,000 mile plan for $459.00

7 yr / 100,000 mile plan for $754.00

8 yr / 125,000 mile plan for $1134.00

Note: these plans kick in the day after your 3 year 36k miles factory plan expires. So you can actually buy a plan at any time as long as you are still under the original 3yr/36k factory warranty.

I asked him if the plan covers "diagnostic fees" in determining what the problem is when troubleshooting an issue and this is what he said:

No, diagnostics aren't covered by any of the Toyota/Lexus plans. Their plan covers 100% of the parts and labor to repair/replace any covered component which has failed. However, many dealers will include include the diagnostic time as part of the repair if ultimately the diagnosis results in a covered claim.

-Troy

So be sure to ask your Toyota/Scion dealership if they charge a diagnostic BEFORE you bring in your vehicle. Hope this helps.

Hmm, these are pretty good prices...Since we plan on keeping the wife's 2010 xB for quite some time, this maybe something I should look into...
Old 03-19-2012, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mr.Shane:

I just had a response from Troy Dietrich.

It would appear that you're in error in your assertion that extended warranty coverage begins when the OEM, 3yr./36k mile "Basic" warranty expires. Not so, according to Troy:

"
Hi Marc,

The prices you listed below are all correct, however you purchased an 8 yr / 75,000 mile plan for the $614.00.

If you only wanted a 5 year plan I can do a 5 yr / 60K plan for $394.00, or a 5 yr / 80K plan for $429.00.

Just remember that time and mileage start effective from the original in-service date and mile 0. So an 8 yr / 75K plan is effectively adding 5 yrs / 39,000 miles of coverage to the end of the original 3 yr / 36K factory warranty. A 5 year plan only provides 2 additional years of coverage.

Troy"

Marc
Old 03-20-2012, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My bad, I stand corrected then. The dealership I bought my Xb from was pushing the same Toyota Platinum coverage and told me that the policy starts once the original 3yr/36k is met. Maybe Troy is selling something different after all.

Interesting.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now that I think on it, I believe you're right! (But, then again, what do I know?)

It would seem logical that, in order to evade Truth in Advertising complaints, there might indeed be a kajillion variations that have been made upon a single warranty's schema. It is of course well known that the average person who attempts to read and comprehend his warranty will fall over dead long before reaching its end. (I tried it myself once but quit just in time.)

On the other hand, my Toyota-issued warranty would have to have a unique part number in order to support your's (and my) suspicions, whereas I see that actually there is only a single 8-digit "Agreement Number" printed on mine (which doesn't look at all like a conventional Toyota part number).

We'll have to wait and see what others say.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 03-20-2012, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got to thinking about it and the extended warranty beginning at mile 0 makes sense.

Think about it, you eventually will either hit one of two expirations: miles or years

Your miles coverage start at zero - so should the years. Seems simple enough.

Either way, Troy's prices still beat the hell out the dealerships. My dealership quoted me $1200 for the 6yr 75k coverage!!! I believe that dealerships need to earn a profit but dayum!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got my extended warranty at 8yr/120k for 1,200. From SO. cal
Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 PM

I got mine... 7 year I believe.. they threw it in when I bought it.. I know a good broker.. anyways.. my 100,000 miles will sadly never see 7 years.. I've had my '12 rs xb since jan 12, and I hit 8,000 miles today... UGH
Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

happy bday eklug!

but damn, you hit 8k miles pretty quick. my uncle just hit his 11k on his car that he bought in Jan, 2012. I've owned my car for a year now, and I barely hit 11k miles. lol
Old 05-05-2012, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I put in a request for a quote for the following:

7/75,000

7/80,000

7/85,000

We will see what these quotes cost. I am into this car for a few years of payments so I want a plan that covers parts of the car until I pay it off (or at least close to pay off)

Is this legit? I have enough trouble with that @$$hole Toyota dealer near me know when it comes to warranty work
Old 05-05-2012, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

most of the dealers dont want to deal with stuff they have to cover cause of warranty.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by megaxjess
most of the dealers dont want to deal with stuff they have to cover cause of warranty.

Yup, tell me about it. The dealer in question(Antwerpen Toyota/Scion in Clarksville MD) is a dealer I would never buy a car from due to their practices of their service center. Sadly I have been contemplating dumping the car and getting a Honda Civic or Ford Focus. The local Carmax offered me a good price for it so I was only out of pocket $100 in order to walk away from it. I like the car but if the closest dealer is the dealership I cannot stand and the next nearest is 25 miles away, then how the heck do I get services done on it? I wrote a letter to Toyota USA, Scion USA and also to Toyota Japan(I spent time in Japan and speak and write Japanese very well) So we will see what they say. My car has 13,080 miles on the clock so it has many miles left of the basic and powertrain warranties. As long as I do my part and get all the services done(i.e. oil changes, 15,000mile service etc) then they HAVE to fix the car under warranty
Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess it all depends on the dealership. I bought the ToyotaCare Platinum $0 deductible Extended Service Agreement for my 2008 xB from Toyota of Greenfield, Mass, and I live in Cali. All warranty & ESA work (about $2000 worth) was performed quickly & eagerly. They also provided a free loaner when the work required 3 days or more to complete (they had to special order rear bearing & hub assemblies). I was told that they receive full reimbursement for all parts, and labor at the rate of $118 per hour. They love doing warranty/ESA work because the customer walks away feeling like Toyota really took care of them, and the dealership receives basically full compensation that they would have to charge somebody without the ESA. I will certainly be purchasing the ESA for my 2012 xB when I get closer to the 36k mile mark.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our local toyota/ scion dealership does a lifetime warranty on motor/trans/ drivetrain for life of the time you own vehicle included in price of car. Salesman told me he thought there was a couple dealers that do this, im not sure who else does. I probably wont ever own car that long, but was cool came with it. But one thing, it only works like that if you have it serviced at the dealer, or if you keep up with receipts and mileage showing all maintenance was done at correct times. And I dont know if all dealers do it, but first 3 years all services are free.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by journeyforce
Yup, tell me about it. The dealer in question(Antwerpen Toyota/Scion in Clarksville MD) is a dealer I would never buy a car from due to their practices of their service center. Sadly I have been contemplating dumping the car and getting a Honda Civic or Ford Focus. The local Carmax offered me a good price for it so I was only out of pocket $100 in order to walk away from it. I like the car but if the closest dealer is the dealership I cannot stand and the next nearest is 25 miles away, then how the heck do I get services done on it? I wrote a letter to Toyota USA, Scion USA and also to Toyota Japan(I spent time in Japan and speak and write Japanese very well) So we will see what they say. My car has 13,080 miles on the clock so it has many miles left of the basic and powertrain warranties. As long as I do my part and get all the services done(i.e. oil changes, 15,000mile service etc) then they HAVE to fix the car under warranty

That sucks. Luckily my local dealership was willing to cover any services under warranty thus far... (1k, 5, 10k maintenance and when i had an issue with my brake rotors).
I cant imagine the frustration when the dealership refuse to deal with those things. Good luck though, hopefully you get at least something out of it

Quick Reply: Extended Toyota Warranty, Help please