Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Factory Nav DVD question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Factory Nav DVD question

Is there an video out from the head unit so that you can run the signal to monitors in the headrests? I need video, but want a sun roof (drop down out)and I dont need the "factory" deal as it is my understanding that the factory DVD-Headrest units is two seperate DVD players so if two in the back want to watch the same thing they have to watch one or the other monitor? Seems odd...so I was thinking of running video out to monitors from the factory nav unit.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, there is a video out that you can use

however, the scion headrest set has no input. It can show two diffrent dvds or one can act as the master. The above is aftermarket monitors having two inputs each. Nav is AV1, and a PS2 is AV2
Old 02-12-2008, 04:00 AM

I had the nav and factory headrests. I changed the nav for a Kenwood DDX8019 but still have the stock dvd headrest. Ok first the headrest are set up so you can watch whatever is on one on the other you just hit aux 2 on the screen the stock also have a video in but its on the front of the screen. So the stock can watch different or same and it came with a nifty remote and some aux in connectors. I didn't like that what ever was on the main screen on my new deck couldn't be seen on the stock headrests so what I did was cut the wires did the pin outs on it and made it to where you can still watch different on either but now aux 2 is whatever I am playing on the deck up front. So you can watch Ipod Video or DVDs or whatever you want. The deck will also do zone control so in the back they can watch and listen to whatever they want and the people up front something completly dif. Or whatever you want. The stock headrests are nice some neat features you just had to mod them a bit.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh, and the aftermarket setup I did ran me about 200 bucks (not including the ps2) and a few hours of lesure time
Old 02-12-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brentw59
I had the nav and factory headrests. I changed the nav for a Kenwood DDX8019 but still have the stock dvd headrest. Ok first the headrest are set up so you can watch whatever is on one on the other you just hit aux 2 on the screen the stock also have a video in but its on the front of the screen. So the stock can watch different or same and it came with a nifty remote and some aux in connectors. I didn't like that what ever was on the main screen on my new deck couldn't be seen on the stock headrests so what I did was cut the wires did the pin outs on it and made it to where you can still watch different on either but now aux 2 is whatever I am playing on the deck up front. So you can watch Ipod Video or DVDs or whatever you want. The deck will also do zone control so in the back they can watch and listen to whatever they want and the people up front something completly dif. Or whatever you want. The stock headrests are nice some neat features you just had to mod them a bit.
How difficult was all that to do? I have a Pioneer Avic D3 and my installer could not figure out how to share the video on the D3 to the stock rear LCDs in the headrests. After determining that the stock LCDs did not have an input (or output), we pretty decided it was not possible. Can you go into more detail so I can ask my installer again or go to someone else different who knows what you are talking about. Sorry, but AV is not my forte, but would really appreciate your advice.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by brentw59
........ Ok first the headrest are set up so you can watch whatever is on one on the other you just hit aux 2 on the screen the stock also have a video in but its on the front of the screen. .....
Are you friggen serious dude
I could not for the life of me figure out how to get both Moniters to play the same movie off of one player! For some reason my brain was stuck on the notion that i had to run a aux cable to the other moniter input, but yeah no outs on the stock moniters.

I didnt think that the were somehow linked together already

I just tested it, and yes it does work! I went thru that manual front to back and could not find anything to suggest that how to do it. The only thing they say, is that you can run the sound thru the SNS by playing the DVD on the passenger side DVD and hitting AUX on the SNS.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:28 AM
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by lvbitwiz
oh, and the aftermarket setup I did ran me about 200 bucks (not including the ps2) and a few hours of lesure time
I assume the 200 bucks does not include the monitors. BTW, what monitors are those?? I am looking for something that looks great in my XB2, don't really like the factory headrest monitors at all. I really like yours though from what I can see.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrE333
Originally Posted by lvbitwiz
I assume the 200 bucks does not include the monitors. BTW, what monitors are those?? I am looking for something that looks great in my XB2, don't really like the factory headrest monitors at all. I really like yours though from what I can see.
200bucks for all of it. I did the labor. I picked the monitors up from millionbuy.com

I did however go all hack and slash on my stock headrests