Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Factory NAV system fix needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member

Default Factory NAV system fix needed

I purchased my 08 Silver 5spd with the NAV system a few days ago. I am used to a portable Garmin unit. I am very surprised that the Scion system does not allow you to access almost all of the nav functions when you are moving. This, I believe, negates a lot of the advantages of a nav system. Today, my wife and I were driving the freeway. It was lunchtime, and we wanted to look for restaurants on the nav unit. Sorry...you can't input a route while you are moving!

Is there a fix for this? I suspect that the unit must be wired into the Vehicle Speed Sensor somehow.

I was really looking forward to having a permanent nav unit in the xB. However, the way it works from the factory, the portable Garmin unit is far superior!

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 05-20-2007, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, considering the amount of time it's actually been on the market, it's expected to be working like that still.

I'm sure it won't take too long for someone to find a bypass though.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member

I sure hope so, because right now I am regretting that I spent $1950 for a disabled Nav system!

Kevin
Old 05-20-2007, 03:53 AM

I have a 2007 Yukon Denali. with a Nav system and it also does not allow you to do anything while the car is moving. This is all thanks to lawyers. I sure someone comes up with a hack because I've got my Blackberry Crush metallic coming in 2 weeks and I want a useful Nav system not something that only works when its stopped.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most nav systems don't let you use the touch screen when you are moving. The exception that I'm aware of is the Acura nav systems.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

which is the reason why many said not to buy the factory NAV system. for that much money, you could have bought a far superior system to the factory or Garmin...
Old 05-20-2007, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member

I searched all of the posts on this site prior to my purchase. Although I did read criticism of the price of the NAV system, I didn't see any posts that mentioned that the factory NAV system was disabled. Had I known that, I would not have purchased the factory system.

I think that there is a great money-making opportunity for someone to come up with a fix for this!

Kevin
Old 05-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well legally any navi that goes in place of the radio will be "disabled" like that. For my navi (Eclipse AVN5435) I just had to ground out the parking brake wire to the metal frame where the radio attaches and I can do anything while driving, sure in the info screen it says parking brake on, but it doesn't hinder beyond that.

However the difficult part is that unless it has a seperate harness for the parking brake, reverse.... there may not be an easy way around it. If it was a seperate wire, you could just ground it out.

Legally they cant sell a car with navi without having that "safety feature"
Old 05-20-2007, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member

I think I read in one of the manuals that the NAV was disabled at 12mph. That makes me think that it is somehow tied into the Vehicle Speed Sensor.

The manual also mentions that the parking brake must be on to view DVDs.

Kevin
Old 05-21-2007, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

i hacked it already.
can even play dvd's while driving.
maybe i'll post a diy tomorrow. i'm tired and gotta go to sleep tonight.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member

Excellent! I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks

Kevin
Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 PM

I am future XB owner and am debating on ordering the Nav system but can't see any benefits from it unless you can disable the lock out. So I did some research and found this website for the Prius's NAV system to disable the lock out, now what I have been told it is the same steps for the New XB's Nav system. Please try it and let me know if it works so I know if it's worth ordering the Nav sytem myself. I would greatly apprciate any feedback on it.. the website for instructions is... http://www.wikihow.com/Override-Toyo...ation-Gray-out
Old 05-21-2007, 10:56 PM
SL Member

Default SNS- Scion Nav System

Have the Nav system installed and just reurened from a 600 mile road trip,,,, Had full access to Nav while moving.

Worked fine,,,,
Old 05-21-2007, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

ok, to watch dvd's without the ebrake on, ground the red wire under the console to the bolt that holds the console to the floor.

Theres a green wire running over to the fuse block behind the dash just left of the steering wheel. Cut this wire.

Behind the navigation, look for a plug in the back of the nav with a yellow, green, a couple white, a couple black, purple, and a few other wires (from memory, theres probably about 8n wires in this plug). Cut the purple wire and extend the wires over to one of the empty switch locations. I used a rocker switch from a scion led interior kit. Install the switch in the dash.
Now you can flip the switch off to watch dvd's or to type the nav keyboard.
The nav map will not track your movement when the switch is off, so after you are done typing, flip the switch back on and it will resume navigating.

now who's your daddy?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member

Excellent!

Have you tried entering a new destination, say a restaurant, while you are moving? Does it access the POIs OK and then let you set a new route?

Kevin
Old 05-22-2007, 01:01 AM
SL Member

great description randode. thanks! also, i would have ordered an interior LED kit from you had i found you first, but hence, i have the factory installed now... it would be easy to switch them out, no? where can i get a "rocker" switch for the dvd nav mod? thanks!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

yes you can enter the POI as long as the switch is off.
still trying to source out a switch that fits and looks factory.
I like how Scion changes the switch size just to mess with me.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 PM

Has anyone tried the onscreen secret combination to eliminate the lock out, I posted the link for it up above. Please let me know if that works, it seems like it would be easier than cutting wires and adding switches..
Old 05-22-2007, 10:54 PM
SL Member

yes, but you have to do the combination every time you turn on the car... that is a pain, when randode's mod is utter genius and so simple to perform ;)
Old 05-23-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't call him a genius, please. It goes to his head.

Quick Reply: Factory NAV system fix needed