Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Factory NAV system fix needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:49 PM

I just got an 08 tC with the SNS. I found this thread about the workaround and I am very interested in doing this. I wanted to clarify I few things so that I make sure this will work.

1 - Does this work for sure on the tC (2008 specifically)?
2 - Where exactly is the "red" parking brake wire? Randode mentions that it's "under the console" - what's the console he's referring to?
3 - So, does the "green" wire just needs to be cut and left hanging?
4 - When he says to "switch" the purple wire, does that mean run the purple to a switch, then do I run a power or ground to the other terminal(s) of the switch?

I have some electrical wiring background (not much), but it would be helpful to have pictures or at least diagrams. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:15 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The "red" wire will be located in proximity to your parking break handle.

I would cut the wire and cover the ends. (although you could get by without ever cutting this wire)

With the switch, just put a switch inline with this wire. So you can "cut" the signal and then "connect" the signal when needed. Basically making the "speed sensor" appear to be 0 to the SNS.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lotsa people gonna stump themselves trying to do this work around methinks.

Good advice on the AVIC D3 though. I had mine installed. Steering wheel controls work fine with the PAC-SWI adapter, and the bypass is simple.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:59 PM

I'm in the process of doing this mod. I've just cut and grounded the RED wire (Parking Brake) and now the DVD will play while driving.

BUT...

I'm stumped as to which wire I need to get at for the Speed Sensor. There's only three PURPLE wires going into the back of the SNS - one of them comes out of a connector and is just cut off; one is like 16 AWG (thicker) and is in the connector to the far right (looking at the back from the top); the other is a thinner wire (18 AWG) and is in a ~20Pin connector on the far left (looking at the back from the top).

Can somebody please help me quick, I've got my center console apart now, and I'd like to get it all back together soon..

THANKS
Old 08-04-2007, 10:54 PM

UPDATE

I figured it out. It's actually NOT a PURPLE wire on the 2008 tC... It was a yellow wire on a 20 Pin connector going into the SNS.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Have to say Big Thanks randode:

I got mine done yesterday now I just have to find a better solution for a switch!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:48 PM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone have p/n's , info on a rocker switch that will fit in the empty slot beside the Traction Control switch and the Fog Light switch ?

The empty switch slot beside the shifter is taken up by my Scion Security Glass Breakage Sensor..
Old 08-07-2007, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by DL
Anyone have p/n's , info on a rocker switch that will fit in the empty slot beside the Traction Control switch and the Fog Light switch ?

The empty switch slot beside the shifter is taken up by my Scion Security Glass Breakage Sensor..
After searching around forums, the consensus seems to be a Gardner-Bender GSW-45 switch, which is the same exact switch found on sites like www.oznium.com and others, and it's only ~$4 at Lowe's (in the electrical/switches aisle):

Old 08-07-2007, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by mrpsxplyr
UPDATE

I figured it out. It's actually NOT a PURPLE wire on the 2008 tC... It was a yellow wire on a 20 Pin connector going into the SNS.
Okay, I'm quoting my own post for reply, but it's so I can show you all a nice picture!

I'm not sure if it's the same way on the xB, but I would be tempted say so, since it's the same system...

All I did was splice in an in-line switch (routing wire to the left side of the steering wheel) as BloodHoundFan suggested. THANKS!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:02 PM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DL

After searching around forums, the consensus seems to be a Gardner-Bender GSW-45 switch, which is the same exact switch found on sites like www.oznium.com and others, and it's only ~$4 at Lowe's (in the electrical/switches aisle):

Thanks a bunch...
Old 08-07-2007, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by DL

I also sell this switch. IT DOES NOT FIT THE 2008.
I have a small round rocker that works for the mod, but you gotta drill a hole in one of the switch covers.

if someone can post a pic of the wiring plugged into the back of the nav, I can point out which purple wire to cut and switch.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yea that switch will fit in a tC's switch blank. but not in the xB2 or xD switch blanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by dseh1111
Has anyone tried the onscreen secret combination to eliminate the lock out, I posted the link for it up above. Please let me know if that works, it seems like it would be easier than cutting wires and adding switches..
tried it several times but no luck. I'd love to utilize all the functions of the NAV unit on both xB2 and GS while in motion.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by stick_1NZ
Has anyone tried the onscreen secret combination to eliminate the lock out, I posted the link for it up above. Please let me know if that works, it seems like it would be easier than cutting wires and adding switches..
tried it several times but no luck. I'd love to utilize all the functions of the NAV unit on both xB2 and GS while in motion.
Go to TRDSparks.com and download the Installation Instructions for the xB SNS (it doesn't show up in the tC version for some reason). At the very end it shows you how to access the Diagnostic Screens...if that's what you're referring to.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:07 PM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randode
Originally Posted by DL

I also sell this switch. IT DOES NOT FIT THE 2008.
I have a small round rocker that works for the mod, but you gotta drill a hole in one of the switch covers.

if someone can post a pic of the wiring plugged into the back of the nav, I can point out which purple wire to cut and switch.
Glad I didn't buy one from Lowes. Got any pics of that "Round Rocker" ?
Where do I get one and how much?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

its the one on the right.

i sell them for $3 each. i'll get them up on the website today.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:35 PM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool...They look nice...Does the white one light up in the cut out area that looks like a Lightning bolt on the switch?

All I have to do is drill out the blank switch cover located beside the Trac & Fog switches just enough to slide the switch in?
In your pics, the one on the right side at the end looks kinda big, will it fit in the blank hole cover? All the switches you have listed are the same size?

Does the on/off one light up the "on" postion when turned on?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stick_1NZ
Go to TRDSparks.com and download the Installation Instructions for the xB SNS (it doesn't show up in the tC version for some reason). At the very end it shows you how to access the Diagnostic Screens...if that's what you're referring to.
i have mentioned this before and nobody thought to try it out i guess.

but from looking at screenshots of what this gives you, it doesnt look like it takes you anywhere that can bypass the lock out.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by DL

Cool...They look nice...Does the white one light up in the cut out area that looks like a Lightning bolt on the switch?

All I have to do is drill out the blank switch cover located beside the Trac & Fog switches just enough to slide the switch in?
In your pics, the one on the right side at the end looks kinda big, will it fit in the blank hole cover? All the switches you have listed are the same size?

Does the on/off one light up the "on" postion when turned on?

Thanks
I only carry the one on the right. Thats just a stock pic I found on google.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:12 AM

I ordered a replacement hazard/flasher lights switch from the dealer ($40!!) and put it in the extra slot to the right of where the original one goes. It was expensive, but it looks really slick and stock. I'll post a picture tomorrow

UPDATE: I tapped into power from the other one, so they both light up when my parking lights are on. I did have to bust out the dremel in order to flip it so that the "arrow" is pointing towards the passenger side (so the slope of the button matches)

Quick Reply: Factory NAV system fix needed