Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Factory NAV system fix needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:40 PM

Yeah... I'd like to also know if anybody has figured out a "software" hack. I gather the previously posted one isn't applicable. Is that right? I'll be getting my xB this week and will have a buddy help me with the "hardware" mod eventually. I'd just like to know if there's a short term fix available using the override feature -- looked at the online PDFs and it doesn't show that option in the menu that I can tell. Anybody actually played with it??
Old 09-03-2007, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For those that need it, I put pictures in here for which wires you need to 'modify'. (Many thanks to Randode for his work)
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...326&highlight=

Also, for those that haven't played a LOT, you do not NEED to throw the switch back after you enter a destination for the GPS to track you. If the GPS Sat has a view of you, it will track you, but if you go in a tunnel and the Sat can't see you, THEN it'll stop tracking if you haven't thrown that switch back. Surprised me when i had the switch at off, and EVERYTHING was working.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:51 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

As far as the green wire. Which I am assuming is a reverse signal wire? The NAV mod works with this wire still connected according to many other people. Is there any real reason to cut this (besides the override not working in reverse?)

Just curious, as if it is a reverse signal wire I could use it for another project.

Thanks for any feedback on this..
Old 10-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Anyone living in San Diego do this mod yet? I'm chicken to do it on my own, and would be happy to pay a little bit for the company/help/hand-holding.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by gjpjr84
looking over the install instructions for the nav unit there isnt an option to overide anything, but there may be a screen that they do not illustrate.

i sent a quick email the other day to TRDsparks and the scion SNS page has the tC and xb2 specific instructions now so you can see how to the diagnostic thing.

(b) Press the "DISP" button to display the initial search screen. (Fig. 4-2).

(c) In order to display the "System Check Mode" screen, touch areas A and B, indicated on the screen, in the following order: A
Well, now I'm a little confused. I'm assuming you got rid of the full instructions for a reason. Can you tell us why?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

got rid of the full instructions? i never had "full instructions" to get rid of...
:?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:50 PM

Default nav fix

when watching dvd can u go to navigation? w/o inserting the nav disc?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: nav fix

Originally Posted by Almernski25
when watching dvd can u go to navigation? w/o inserting the nav disc?
No, it's one or the other.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:14 AM

anyone have pics of the switch wired up??

only thing thats keeping me down
Old 01-25-2008, 10:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kinda switch do you have? what's the pin layout?

if it's two prong, it doesn't matter. if it's 6, then go by whatever the package for the switch says.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought a 2 prong switch at Radio shack and put it in one of the empty panels next to the traction control button.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:11 PM

Thank you rockthebeef, i guess ill make a trip to radio shack and pick one of those up.

Thanks Guys
Old 01-25-2008, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no problem. To cut the hole for the switch I drew a circle on the pop-out piece and used my soldering iron to rough it out. Then I trimmed it with an xacto knife. The nut that holds the switch in place won't fit. Mine is held in by friction. It's not going anywhere though.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 08 xB and I can not find the green wire for the life of me. I have looked at the picture and find every wire but the green one with silver. I quess I will skip that part and put the switch in on the purple wire. By the way I read all the post here and I bought my switch on ebay...search xb switch and it has plain or led light when on. I think it was 12.99 with led and 9.99 for plain. It should be perfect fit.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Hey all -

I hope somebody can help me.. I paid a custom shop in the area to wire Randode's fix for me. The switch works great for entering destinations into the nav screen while the car's moving, but now I can't watch DVDs at all. There's sound but no picture - this is true all the time; it doesn't matter if I'm moving, parked, or the switch is on or off. Also, most of the buttons in the DVD mode are disabled. What went wrong? Did the shop forget to ground the red wire to the bolt? I need to take it back to the shop but I have no idea what to tell the guy to do...

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by insaneintenti0n
For those that need it, I put pictures in here for which wires you need to 'modify'. (Many thanks to Randode for his work)
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...326&highlight=

Also, for those that haven't played a LOT, you do not NEED to throw the switch back after you enter a destination for the GPS to track you. If the GPS Sat has a view of you, it will track you, but if you go in a tunnel and the Sat can't see you, THEN it'll stop tracking if you haven't thrown that switch back. Surprised me when i had the switch at off, and EVERYTHING was working.
That is very true, mine does the same.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, You will have to flip the switch to watch dvd while your driving. Did they put a toggle switch in?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by bashor1
Ok, You will have to flip the switch to watch dvd while your driving. Did they put a toggle switch in?
Yes, and I have tried every combination of switch on, switch off, switch on-then-off, gear in park, gear in not-park, etc.... the picture never comes up. All I get is sound only.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is odd. If you like call me it will be faster to tell you. 740-313-0299
Old 03-11-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by bashor1
That is odd. If you like call me it will be faster to tell you. 740-313-0299
Thanks But I actually just figured it out! I misunderstood the instructions... I thought the car had to be in park to watch DVDs, not that the emergency brake had to be on. I removed the parking brake cover and found out that the mod shop had not grounded the red wire.
The link to those pictures was invaluable. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Factory NAV system fix needed