Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Gas mileage confessions from actual owners.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well said c rowe.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:25 PM
SL Member

Default mileage

I hear if you choose white you will get 30mpg city.....

Old 05-13-2007, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: mileage

Originally Posted by gt1948
I hear if you choose white you will get 30mpg city.....

It's more aerodynamic, right?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very well said c rowe, thank you for showing your support for the tC, I was thinking that maybe I was the only one...
Old 05-13-2007, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uberscionofglendale
the tC was not the replacement for the celica.
What are you basing that on? The Celica disappeared and the tC appeared. The Celica was a small, 2-door, low, 2+2, 4-cyl hatchback sporty car. The tC is a small, 2-door, low, 2+2, 4-cyl hatchback sporty car. I don't see any plans to bring back the Celica. The tC has effectively replaced the Celica in the overall USA Toyota Motor Corp lineup, has it not?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member

Have to agree that the tC was the replacement for the Celica; in much the same way, the Yaris 5 door hatch never made it here to avoid competing with the xA, I've always felt. The Yaris was the replacement for the Echo, even though they didn't really have a whole lot in common. So, too, with the Celica/tC.

Toyota are not stupid, and they know what they're doing. The two new models will outsell the outgoing ones by a substantial margin. I was legitimately blown away by the sheer value of the second gen when I saw it just over a week ago. Selling it isn't going to be an issue at all.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Basilius
I'll let you know when my wife gets back tomorrow. She took the new xB up to Seattle for Mother's Day weekend.

I would get 31-32 MPG (actual numbers after odometer correction) on that trip in my 06.5 box. My wife's driving habits are a _little_ different, but that's mostly in town. So, we'll see what kind of numbers she gets.

I know I've been getting 24 mpg driving around town on my first tank (city/hwy mix), but I've had a bit of a lead foot enjoying the bump in horsepower. I imagine that'll settle to around 25 or 26. I would get 28-29 in the old box with the same mix of driving.
Getting back to what this thread's actually about...

The trip computer said 27.7 MPG since I got the car, and about 80% of that was the roundtrip to Seattle. So, I'm guessing the car got about 29 on the trip. That's 2-3 below what I got in the old xB. However, I haven't calibrated the odometer on it yet to know exactly how accurate that is. The odometer on my 2006 xB ran 4% slow.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:42 AM

thanks basilius. i'll be going back to the dealer next week with my girlfriend to test drive a manual 08 xB.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice. Thanks Basilius.

Sounds like a broken in car should be able to go around or just north of 30mpg on straight highway miles. Works for me.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The trip computer said 27.7 MPG
I wouldn't go by what the computer says - they are known to be inaccurate. I'd do a manual calculation. "USE THE FORCE LUKE!"
Old 05-14-2007, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toronado
The trip computer said 27.7 MPG
I wouldn't go by what the computer says - they are known to be inaccurate. I'd do a manual calculation. "USE THE FORCE LUKE!"
When I actually fill the tank, I'll do so. My wife's horrible at keeping records. I've actually found the trip computer in our Durango to be pretty close.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My first tank I averaged around 27.5 MPG. 2005 xB I got 31-32 MPG driving the same, if I drove like a turtle, 34. Never much better than 34. 31 MPG if I drove 72-80 MPH on freeways.

The 27.5 MPG in the new xB had a lot of spirited driving, the car climbs to 90 MPH without me even noticing. I peel out by accident all the time. I have to learn to drive it without making it feel like it's leaping.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tornado
The tC is a Celica replacement. Basically, they moved the Celica to the Scion brand.

The tC wasn't made to replace the Celica. It was made to compete with the Civic. It sounded like you were saying they redesigned the Celica, then decided it was going to be a Scion. That's what I meant by saying that the tC wasn't the Celica replacement. Toyota never meant it to be, but once the tC came out, and Celica sales slumped further, they killed the Celica. Maybe I just misread what you wrote, yes the Celica ended up getting replaced by the tC, but the tC wasn't made as the Celica replacement.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uberscionofglendale
once the tC came out, and Celica sales slumped further, they killed the Celica
Really? I thought the Celica had already been discontinued when the tC came out.

But whatever the case may be, if Scion is the "youth brand" then why not move the sporty 2-door hatch model (whatever name you want to give it) to the Scion family? I just assumed this was Toyota's thinking on this. But I don't really know.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:31 AM
5 Year Member

I was thinking about switching over to the new xB and wanted to put 18's on. Would putting 18's on change the gas milage or loss of power (maybe due to weight or size of the rim)?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:15 AM
SL Member

I just filled up my first tank of gas two days ago n after the math got around 25 mpg. now givin the day before was spent mostly giving rides and showing it off around town lol.
Im guessing to get a better reading after the motor wears in.
Oh and went to tucson today and got around 30mpg, not to bad seeing how the engine revvs around 3400 doin 80, not a big fan of that
Old 05-19-2007, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I drove an 08 for about a 1,000 mile trip lsat weekend on the way to and from the All Scion Show in Ames Iowa. I got to drive it from KC MO as a perk of the job. ;)

Here's what the MPG counter said.

When I floored it driving around town and had a bunch of people in the car doing "test drives" I got 19.7 MPG

When I drove around the city keeping the RPM's down and basically doing the speed limit I got 27.8 MPG

When I drove on the highway at 60-65 MPH and didn't give it too much gas I averaged 36.7 MPG

When I drove 75-85 MPH accelerating very fast to get on the highway I would get about 25 MPG.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shorberg
I drove an 08 for about a 1,000 mile trip lsat weekend on the way to and from the All Scion Show in Ames Iowa. I got to drive it from KC MO as a perk of the job. ;)

Here's what the MPG counter said.

When I floored it driving around town and had a bunch of people in the car doing "test drives" I got 19.7 MPG

When I drove around the city keeping the RPM's down and basically doing the speed limit I got 27.8 MPG

When I drove on the highway at 60-65 MPH and didn't give it too much gas I averaged 36.7 MPG

When I drove 75-85 MPH accelerating very fast to get on the highway I would get about 25 MPG.
But, but, it is supposed to get 20 around town...the haters told me so, and we all know they are infallible! They would never lie because they were just jealous and insecure, never ever!

Wait a tic...they also said it would weigh 3400 lbs and base for $19k. guess they were full of ____. Who would have thought.

Thanks for the update Shorberg!
Old 05-19-2007, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

It was a blast driving it around too.

Fiero, did you get your fuzzy dice yet?
Old 05-19-2007, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes I did, thanks again. My cat has comandeered them though, I might have to put her down to recover them. Now where is my shotgun...

Quick Reply: Gas mileage confessions from actual owners.