Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Gen1 to Gen2....Are you glad you did?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007 | 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Gen1 to Gen2....Are you glad you did?

I bought my 06 Gen1 in April 06 to carry our Bikes and absolutely loved it for many different reasons, 2 weeks ago I traded it in for a BSP Gen2 and am really glad I did...

My personal view is that Scion took everything that was good about the Gen1 (which looks so outdated now IMHO) and made it even better!!

I wanted:

1. More power and a smoother ride.
2. More Cargo space.

I got both....plus some other Easter Eggs I wasn't even expecting!!

I don't care about Gas Mileage because I only drive it 120 miles a week....
Old 06-12-2007 | 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I agree for the reasons that you upgraded. I never owned a gen1 and for good reason (in my opinion):

1) Not enough power
2) No cruise
3) Lacking some safety features
4) And a few others but I don't want to offend

I really like the direction they went with the first gen but it took the new style and added features/power to make me a buyer!
Old 06-12-2007 | 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i was thinking about buying the gen2, but i can' afford it right now. But if something ever happens to my gen1, then i will get a gen2, if there are no more rs4 gen1's. i like that color. lol.
Old 06-12-2007 | 09:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There was a poll about this on the Gen 1 board. The results were not surprising. (~90%)

Not flaming here, but I have a stupid question - if y'all wanted cargo space and power...why buy a B in the first place? The boxes were well-known for being some of the most underpowered kids on the market...did you purchase it thinking you'd get used to it and then just...not?

Because I will say, I went from a V6 Blazer (which could pull trees out of the ground on a regular basis) to the toaster, and it took me a year and a half to get used to the amount of forward planning I needed to, say, merge. I still routinely rev it into the 6K mark, but I think I'm coping. Was that more or less the case for y'all?
Old 06-12-2007 | 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2007 | 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm keeping the 1st gen xb all the way. I don't think the world is going to get any cheaper
I don't blame ya. We have an 05 w/ 25k mi on it, in great shape, and I'm thinking I'm going to bump the price 2k on it.
Old 06-12-2007 | 03:31 PM
5 Year Member

I had a 06 gen 1 and it was totalled by a drunk driver. We just bought a gen 2 and so far so good. I really miss the off the wall styling of my old box and the gas milage ---- But with three kids the improved saftey was a selling point. It is definitly roomier inside.I hope to get another 1st gen for myself eventually.
Old 06-12-2007 | 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZOMGXB
There was a poll about this on the Gen 1 board. The results were not surprising. (~90%)

Not flaming here, but I have a stupid question - if y'all wanted cargo space and power...why buy a B in the first place? The boxes were well-known for being some of the most underpowered kids on the market...did you purchase it thinking you'd get used to it and then just...not?
No, that's not a stupid question at all.....
I loved my Gen1 Toaster from the Day I bought it till the Day I traded Him in, in fact, I was sad to see Him go....

I didn't start this thread to diss the Gen1, it was aimed at those who have been driving a Gen1 and now drive a Gen2 simply to ask if they're glad they made the choice....
Old 06-12-2007 | 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Never owned a Gen 1 but I will throw this in....I am trading in my tC for a Gen2 hopefully this weekend....I loved everything about the Gen1...I have driven them several times and its just a fun vehicle to drive...auto or manual. I wanted to buy one but fell in love with the tC. To me it dosent matter how many times I see a Gen1, I still love it. With the release of the new B...it took some time to grow on me, until I test drove one. Its still has that fun to drive feel to it that I felt in the Gen1....just a lil smoother...
Old 06-12-2007 | 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll miss my first box.

I love my new one just like I loved the old one. They were both very important to me and were special in their own ways.

The new B is just safer and something that will last me though more things in life. (moving, family, etc) With its largerness and more cargoness and most importantly more safetyness.

Old 06-12-2007 | 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

We had a Gen 1 and went to a Gen 2 (along with a Prius in-between.) Everything that I felt was lacking in the 1st one is in the 2nd. Don't get me wrong, the Gen 1 was perfect for our needs at the time. We just had a son and it was the perfect vehicle for us. Now my son is 2, and his car seat is HUGE. We regular take my parents along with us. The increased space in the rear makes it possible for us to haul everyone around. Add the power and the truck and it's a winner in our book. The Cruise Control and quieter ride are just a couple examples. My wifes loves the mirrors (in the visors) and the extra lights.

My parents still have their Gen 1 (They loved ours so much, they got one too.) They are now considering a new car and the xB2 is on there list as well. They will probably keep the Gen 1 though...
Old 06-12-2007 | 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You all are traders! j/k
Old 06-12-2007 | 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As stated above, in the Gen 1 forum 90% said they like the old xB better. No surprise, right. I think the other 10% who would much rather have more power and cargo room and space for their child's car seat, kinda belonged on the Toyota lot to begin with. People with kids and a family to haul around probably would have been better suited shopping for a Matrix, or Rav-4, or Camry. IMO, most of the people who are trading up may have started out with the wrong car.

I say this because if both cars were on the market (at the same time with different names) most people shopping for a $14k, 103 hp hatch wouldn't consider a Camry-like wagon with available DVD and navigation... At the same time, most small families that need something cheaper and roomier than a Camry for less than $20k but with the same amount of power, options and saftey, would never consider a 103 hp econobox! Or at least not enjoy it.

I'm not dissing those who traded up. I'm just pointing out that these two cars are so drastically different, that each of their respective owners should be equally satisfied with their decision to either stay gen 1 or move up.

I don't think anybody who NEEDS what the gen 2 offers would ever feel bad for moving up. More power to you!

-THE DON
Old 06-12-2007 | 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love my gen1, but now that i have a 2nd kid, it = to 2nd car seat and bigger stroller = bigger trunk...i love the "techno car" styling of the gen1, and i'll miss it...but the 2nd gen fits my family well now and to me, it still has edge and potential

...gonna pick up my 2nd gen this friday (or saturday) and can't wait!

JC
Old 06-12-2007 | 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm very happy with the all-new xB2 overall. Lots of upgrades compared to the Gen1.
Old 06-12-2007 | 08:02 PM

Hellz yeah. I love my gen 2 as much as the gen 1. Maybe, alittle more love for the Gen 2.
Old 06-13-2007 | 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I owned a BSP gen 1...traded it in on a full size truck...now I have traded the truck for the gen 2. I wasn't even considering the gen2 until I drove it...I wanted the original box look. However, after I drove the 2 back to back, there was no comparison for me. I wish they wouldn't have changed the body style though.
Old 06-13-2007 | 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I am another trader....my 04 for a new 08. Everything I didn't like about the 04, Toyota changed, for the better on my new one. Do I miss the old one??? Yeah, I still would have people ask about it, right up to the time I traded it in, it was so unique looking. But now, after owning my new xB for about a month, I've had people starting to ask me about it. Strangely, a lot of questions have come from current gen1 owners, and all have been positive. I won't ever forget my first trip in my gen1, from Detroit to Chicago; I was afraid that I was going to cause an accident, I had so many people gawking at the car as they passed me on I94. I don't get any where near as many stares as I did in my new car.
Old 06-13-2007 | 02:51 PM

I upgraded for the exact same reasons.

1. Wanted more power
2. More cargo space
3. Smoother ride
Old 06-14-2007 | 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: Gen1 to Gen2....Are you glad you did?

Originally Posted by xb27
....plus some other Easter Eggs I wasn't even expecting!!
the only one i know about is the radio easter egg. are there more in the gen 2?

Quick Reply: Gen1 to Gen2....Are you glad you did?