Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]
View Poll Results: Have you had windshield damage yet?
yes, My windshield is already broken, cracked etc
40.57%
yes, My windshield has broken more then once
6.60%
no, I am still looking through the windshield that the car came with
52.83%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Have you had windshield damage yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:56 AM

Purchased the xB in January and within 30 days had to replace the windshield. It got hit by a stone. Currently have a after-market windshield in.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xB windshields love rocks, and lose the battle every time. I recommend everybody look into lowering your comprehensive insurance deductible to $100. I have State Farm (they don't offer separate windshield insurance), and the premium increase to go from $500 comp. deductible down to $100 was only $20 more every 6 months. This means that I break even if it costs $400 to replace a windshield, and I do it once in the next 7-1/2 years. Odds are pretty good that I'm going to come out ahead on this one, plus I'll only have to come up with $100 when it does happen.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:16 AM

I dont have any cracks yet, but I hear the crackling as Im driving. I guessing its about to crack..I have only 7500 miles on the car..The dealer offered windshield insurance at the time of the purchase. I bought it thanks to this forum..Although the dealer should pay for the windshield anyway, its good to have backup..
Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just out of curiosity, what are the terms for the windshield insurance (rates & coverage)?
Old 11-14-2008, 04:32 AM

If I remember right..full replacement for 5 years.up to $600 I think .I paid $499 cash for the coverage.. I didnt think it was a bad deal at the time..
Old 01-30-2009, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Lehigh Valley Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

my windshield survived a rock chip just fine but then last week I developed a crack on the opposite side of the windshield...to me the crack looks to be a stress crack as there is no evidence of a chip.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wouldn't this be something to report individually to the NTSB? They're the ones who decide recalls, aren't they? No manufacturer is ever going to pony up for fixing anything until they're forced to. Report. Report. Report.

Their website is a good place to look for "secret" recalls too. For some reason, recalls are allowed which don't require the mfg to contact the owners but if an owner has related problems, brings in the car, and proves the recall exists, the problem gets free repair.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the car in Jan and now i have like a 4inch crack that starts from the bottom of the windshield right in the center of the whole windshield, dont know how it happen but its there.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:32 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Here's where you should register a complaint about the windshield (or anything else that needs attention). Not NTSB as I first said but NHTSA.

Here are recent complaints about Scions:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm

I see that (23) members here have had windshield issues but they apparently haven't registered the info.

The more events which are reported, the sooner someone will look at this and possibly push the manufacturer to take steps to correct.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:50 AM

second day i had it, big chip in glass. it apears to be a magnet for rocks.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Go to NHTSA website and register the complaint.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know what you expect everybody to report. As far as I saw, briefly reading through only 2 people have unexplained windshield problems. Everybody else said they got hit by a rock. I assume those people make up the majority of the 30 (as of the last time I checked) who voted they had their window replaced.

What complaint would you like them to make? They're too many rocks on the road? That hardly seems like a design flaw and nothing that the NHTSA should have anything to do with.

BTW I've had the car a year next month. It was in a relatively bad accident (granted it was in the rear) and I still haven't had any problems with chips, breaks, or anything like that.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:19 AM

Default On my third windshield.

I took dellivery of the xB on 1/5/08 and as of today I am on my 3rd windshield. Love the box but seems prone to windshiled damage.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:41 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TLS317
I don't know what you expect everybody to report. As far as I saw, briefly reading through only 2 people have unexplained windshield problems. Everybody else said they got hit by a rock. I assume those people make up the majority of the 30 (as of the last time I checked) who voted they had their window replaced.

What complaint would you like them to make? They're too many rocks on the road? That hardly seems like a design flaw and nothing that the NHTSA should have anything to do with.

BTW I've had the car a year next month. It was in a relatively bad accident (granted it was in the rear) and I still haven't had any problems with chips, breaks, or anything like that.
Not everyone here has said that their damages were due to rocks flying into them. They are the ones who need to report cracks of an idiopathic nature! If they're not reported, there will never be an investigation.

Complaining does nothing except allow the owners to vent and commiserate with others with like experiences. Then what?

If I were on my third windshield, you can bet that someone with the surname Toyoda would be hearing from me.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you're better off going to Toyota than to the NHTSA. I really think that National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration has more important things to deal with than a few windshield cracks. The NHTSA is barely an effective institution anyway,

The xB2 won't even be produced after next year (if you believe a thing Scion says). Why would they waste the time investigating?

Toyota has a much more vested interest, since they are the ones you would be suing, and in theory they don't want to lose you as a customer.

But I still don't think anyone's even going to get a return phone call, unless you pay an actual glass expert to verify that this is a stress crack.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlackberryPie
Originally Posted by TLS317

Not everyone here has said that their damages were due to rocks flying into them. They are the ones who need to report cracks of an idiopathic nature! If they're not reported, there will never be an investigation.

Complaining does nothing except allow the owners to vent and commiserate with others with like experiences. Then what?

If I were on my third windshield, you can bet that someone with the surname Toyoda would be hearing from me.
If you noticed what I said, I was pointing out that almost everyone in this thread posted that IF they had windshield problems that it was damage done by rocks or the like. You somehow decided that 23 people didn't register at complaint and I really don't know that 23 people have had windshield problems that weren't impact related.

I'm not sure I completely understand what uniqdsn meant, but I took it to mean that his windshield was broken by a rock and you still encouraged him to make a complaint. So again my question is, complain about what? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

kinda off topic whats the price of a wind shield for the xb2??
i think mine needs replacing
another rock hit my windshield this time it look like its starting to crack lol
Old 02-26-2009, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by BlackberryPie
Wouldn't this be something to report individually to the NTSB? They're the ones who decide recalls, aren't they? No manufacturer is ever going to pony up for fixing anything until they're forced to. Report. Report. Report.

Their website is a good place to look for "secret" recalls too. For some reason, recalls are allowed which don't require the mfg to contact the owners but if an owner has related problems, brings in the car, and proves the recall exists, the problem gets free repair.
What you've just typed is the most uninformed sentance I've ever read on the internet. You seriously need to read up and learn about things before you just start blabbing.

Toyota doesn't have any secret recalls.

A recall is a recall. It is mandated by the government/NHTSA and letters are mailed out to All known oweners.

A service campaign is something that is started and followed through by Toyota without Government/NHTSA mandate. Letters are mailed out to owners of these vehicles by Toyota. Toyota doesn't know where EVERYONE lives.

A TSB is NOT a recall and there is no required action by the dealer. All it does is point out to a dealer that there is a potential reason for a certain compaint to help save the time to having to diagnose the same issue over and over again.

Toyota has never had a Government mandated recall. All recalls they'd had are voluntery. a broken windshield is not something that needs to be recalled. It's not the manufacturers fault that rocks are thrown at the glass.

There is only one thing I know that has caused fractures of the glass on xB's without being hit by rocks. There are placement tabs on the top of the glass so when it's set, it's always in perfect placement. These tabs get locked into position when the glass is set in place with the adhesive and what happens is the glass is forced to flex when the chassis does. this can cause the glass to break but if this is the cause, the break will be at the top of the window, not the bottom.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Lehigh Valley Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by silverx
kinda off topic whats the price of a wind shield for the xb2??
i think mine needs replacing
another rock hit my windshield this time it look like its starting to crack lol

My total was $480.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

<-- now on my 3rd.

first two death by subs.

third death by one of thoes ____ing trucks that sprayed me on the highway with salt.

Quick Reply: Have you had windshield damage yet?