Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Help - Toyota can't fix creak in my 2008 xB

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help - Toyota can't fix creak in my 2008 xB

Toyota has taken my 2008 xB (car number 2400 something) to the autobody shop 2 times to try and fix the A pillar creak TSB issue and still cannot fix the A pillar creaking. They did the TSB twice. It is actually very very bad sounding now. Even a slight turn, acceleration, or brake causes it to sound bad. Any suggestions on what I should do next? Toyota is trying to blow me off (never followed up with me), and I am ready to contact Scion and demand a new car. They already screwed up my bumper alignment, forgot clips, and didn't secure an inside plastic panel.

Anyone have any advise on what I should do next to get this fixed? Has anyone had a dealer/bodyshop do other things not mentioned in the TSB to fix the issue? Are there any good Scion dealers around Pittsburgh PA?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:12 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default Re: Help - Toyota can't fix creak in my 2008 xB

Originally Posted by xbtalk
Any suggestions on what I should do next?
Crank up the radio (it's what I do). I have the same issue but I refuse to take it to the dealership because I know they will eff something up. Once I sound deaden the car I plan to do the pillars too and hope it will stop me from hearing it.

Oh and BTW Scion isn't going to give you a new car because of that. You have to remember you bought a $16k econobox, not a fully loaded Lexus. It's going to creak, squeak, and rattle.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

take a coolant bottle. Cut out a piece the sme diamter as your strut mount that you could put on top of your mount between the apron and the mount(the bolt need to go through it). take the mount out and install the plastic on top of if and put it all back in. See if that helps.

:::edit::::
Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

after 3x trying to fix the same issue w/no good results, in CA you can claim lemon law, and get full refund or new car...
check your local laws on that...
you paid good $ and got that thing brand new, they shouldn't be blowing you off because they can't fix a known problem...
or have your attourney call em.....

reguardless of what you paid or the fact that you didn't buy a luxury car, you bought a brand new car that should be delivered to you free of manufacturing and engieneering defects... plain and simple, end of story.. you didnt fork over your hard earned cash on a used car that you knew wasn't going to be 100%.....
Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Generally for the lemon law to apply, it has to be something that makes the car undrivable or unsafe and there is usually a time limit of cumulative days before such laws can apply.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by IH8ONYU
after 3x trying to fix the same issue w/no good results, in CA you can claim lemon law, and get full refund or new car...
check your local laws on that...
you paid good $ and got that thing brand new, they shouldn't be blowing you off because they can't fix a known problem...
or have your attourney call em.....

reguardless of what you paid or the fact that you didn't buy a luxury car, you bought a brand new car that should be delivered to you free of manufacturing and engieneering defects... plain and simple, end of story.. you didnt fork over your hard earned cash on a used car that you knew wasn't going to be 100%.....
The lemon law won't apply in this case. Nothing is "wrong" with the car, it creaks and rattles just like all Scions models do. I can't believe people would demand so much from an econobox. You paid for a cheap, reliable car and you are expecting total silence from it? LOL
Old 06-13-2009, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take it to another dealer.

The first dealer I went to kept telling me they don't hear anything, they said its the bushing doing its job. I was fed up and took it to another dealer and they said they'll fix it as per the TSB. However, the body shop set the car on fire and it was deemed a total loss. All these issues got me a new xB! Not sure if it was a happy or a sad moment but they did get rid of the sound for good!!
Old 06-13-2009, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is a great story. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it broke, fix it. If it broke, can't fix it...burn it!
Old 06-14-2009, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey that's pretty cool. Maybe I should accidentally start a fire with my car the next time I bring it to the dealership. I have 26,000 miles now, so I can start out with a 2010 with 0 miles! Sweet!
Old 06-18-2009, 05:59 PM

i have found a few squeaks here and there inside my xb and its the first time i've had a brand new car have any noises. let alone a toyota product.

i just mailed the jd power survey like a month ago and the noises came up after the survey. so according to jd power, my xb is as quiet and solid as the day it was delivered.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 PM
SL Member

hmmm :-) i have xb2 and its real quiet.. no sounds.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by 08bspxb
Mods:
HKS axle-back (with resonator replace)
Old 06-28-2009, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well my xB2 squeaks all the time. It's really annoying and it makes my car feel really cheap. Granted, it's a fairly quiet car, but I can't stand hearing those squeaks from time to time.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 08 squeaks too but only when its at a certain temp out side, usually cooler in the morning around 60 degrees. The first time I noticed it, it drove me nuts trying to figure out where it was coming from. I had a friend ride with me and he could put his hand on the upper part of the dash towards the right A-pillar and the noise would stop. I would have tried to remove the dash to so it I could put something to buffer it up there but since mine only does it in a certain temp range, I left it alone. Have someone try that with yours and see if its the dash against the a-pillar.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bring it back to the dealer and they'll put some felt on the contact points.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:47 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Originally Posted by 08bspxb
Mods:
HKS axle-back (with resonator replace)

was hoping no one would catch that.. got pulled over to many times after many changes i have stock muffler with reso replace =) lol hoping cops dont question it
Old 08-02-2009, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to revive this topic, but I noticed that my box has been creaking a lot when changing gears. I'm driving the automatic transmission and when I'm accelerating (velocity and rate of acceleration does not matter), the car literally jolts when the gear is changing. Not to mention, I hear that infernal squeak when I let off the gas. It's become such a constant problem that I will be bringing it in to the dealer this week to see what I can do about it.

I "know" they're going to tell me it drives like new and there's "nothing wrong with it at all", so hopefully when I'm dropping it off I can bring a technician in the car with me and take it out on the road to explain what's happening.

And what perturbs me the most is that I bought a trustworthy car that is not proving to be reliable. My girlfriend's brand new Ford Focus is far quieter and much smoother.

It's really bugging me and when I first purchased my box it didn't make these sounds at all, or jolting like it does with gear changes. And I'm not an overly aggressive driver, either. I drive fast when I need to, especially because I'm in Florida and no one here knows how to drive properly.