Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

How Does the MPG Calculator Work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mickie3
The instant MPG seems to be all over the place when driving and am not sure what use it really is, except you could find the speed at which you were getting the best MPG when using the cruise control on a trip. Outside of that, not sure what else its for.
For me right now the instant MPG is value I look at most and as a new owner I am trying to find the optimum speed (using the cruise control) that gives a good balance between speed and fuel usuage.

In fact I would welcome if different owners could contribute the average mpgs at say 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75. To accomplish this I would ask them to reset the average mpg by holding the Disp button for one second and cover a 5 mile stretch using the cruise control set at one of the above speeds. If they could repeat the test going the opposite direction over the same section of road and make a note road surface (e.g. concrete usually gives better mpg) and perform the test on a calm day close to 70F with no air conditioning on.

A chart could be then plotted and intermediate points interpolated.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bkirby
For me right now the instant MPG is value I look at most and as a new owner I am trying to find the optimum speed (using the cruise control) that gives a good balance between speed and fuel usuage.

In fact I would welcome if different owners could contribute the average mpgs at say 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75. To accomplish this I would ask them to reset the average mpg by holding the Disp button for one second and cover a 5 mile stretch using the cruise control set at one of the above speeds. If they could repeat the test going the opposite direction over the same section of road and make a note road surface (e.g. concrete usually gives better mpg) and perform the test on a calm day close to 70F with no air conditioning on.

A chart could be then plotted and intermediate points interpolated.
That would really be an interesting exercise! Also, a very valuable one to the Scion community.

My wife & I are using the xB mostly for her to go to work, me to pick up things when I need (read that: WANT) the capacity it has, and just running errands around town. No highway driving here, YET!

It may be a couple of months before we take it out on the road, but the more data the better! I will log the info then and PM it to you, so chart data can be updated.

The data should be kept for manual vs auto vs all, to see if the tranny makes any difference at highway speeds. I doubt it will, but will only reflect on gearing if it is different.

Sounds like a good group project and will be happy to participate. Maybe a new thread (sticky) for results posting?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the biggest effect the instant MPG will have is on driving habits of lead foots. If they bother to look at the .05 mpg they are getting under their normal acceleration, then they might alter their habits.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:15 PM

You would also make some stipulations on that excersize that only one person can be in the car (driver) and that you arent carrying anything, starting with a full tank of gas. if you are going to get that technical with the temperatures then gotta make sure the weights are the same. if you are going to say its on concrete, then you need to make sure the tires are aired up to manufacturers spec for the correct tire surface area as well. windows up, no fast starts from a stop as well... the list could go on forever.

id rather have people giving real world averages instead of isolated "test runs"
Old 06-08-2007, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
I think the biggest effect the instant MPG will have is on driving habits of lead foots. If they bother to look at the .05 mpg they are getting under their normal acceleration, then they might alter their habits.
Unfortunately, I think you are giving the morons of the world a bit too much credit. The ones I know who bytch the most about gas prices are the ones who drive like demons are hot on their trail.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was wondering how accurate this thing is. The average MPG guage seems to be fairly accurate but the guage that tells you how many miles left you can drive on a tank seems grossly off. I drove all the way to the 0 on the miles left and then about 1 more mile. Then i went to fill up the tank and the tank filled up to 11.8 gallons after traveling 306 miles or so.

The xB2 has a 14 gallon tank, so if i was only able to put in 12 gallons there should be 2 gallons left which should allow me to drive another 50 miles or so. I reset the average MPG guage when i was going down hill so it averaged 90 mg but that didnt change the amount of distance the guage said i could travel, so what is this thing based on?

Am i missing something here? It is a 14 gallon tank right? At 25 mpg I should be able to travel 350 miles before the tank runs dry.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:47 AM

Screw the computer thing. You want accuracy just:

1- push trip odometer to 0 at fill up

2- Find mileage on trip computer on next fill up/reset to 0

3 -take total gallons pumped when auto fill clicks off

Divide # of gallons into the miles

Example: 150.6 miles/ 5.2 gallons= 28.96 mpg

This method automatically adjusts for total average of all types of driving. If you want to save gas by easing off the peddle the #'s will reflect that. Simple Math.

Computers are the only device man created to make an ___ of himself.