Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

I Don't understand why Scion is this far down the list

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:46 PM

Car making rattling sounds? Means you just haven't turned up your stereo up loud enough
Old 06-05-2008, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would liike to say. this is a NEW line of vehicle. every car that comes out has problems when its new. im sure 09 dirver won't have many problems at all. (i haven't had any except i run through wiper blades like hell.) other than that. o and if i crank the bass the driver side will rattle a little. but thats about it. other than its amazing. and the new crv is so fugly, BUT better than the old one yes.

thats just me.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Believe me-there is someone out there right now going on about how their CR-V is nothing but a heap of problems and they are trading it for a Scion...

Watch top gears test of a $200,000 Ferrari 599, watch around about 5 minutes in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuARZ...eature=related

My $16,000 xB doesn't do that....

and look at the Civic Type R comparison...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfqN_DDkppc

...and there are honestly quite a few people I know that have abandoned honda the last 2-3 years because of problems....
Old 06-05-2008, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 21k on my 06 xB and don't have any problems or rattles even with 40psi in the tires. The ride is just now getting a little softer and it really is very quiet inside. If you have some wind noise then you probably have a bent door jam or damaged weatherstripping.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 PM

I personally couldn't be happier with my Scion XB2. I couldn't be happier with my dealer and the service department either. All are top notch.

I went from owning 2 Pathfinders in a row to a Camry and then traded the Camry for the Scion. The Scion is awesome and kicks the pants off the Camry and cargo space is almost equal to the pathfinders the first a 1995 and then a 2002. The gas mileage is amazing compared to those three and it cost a bit more than half of what I paid on the 2002 Pathfinder and what I would have had to pay to buy out the Camry after the lease ended.

Rattles - the only rattles I have ever had came from pens or sunglasses that were easily moved. Nothing else rattles on my XB2.

Windshield did break, but it was my fault. I drove directly into a storm front with 70 MPH winds going 70 MPH and got pounded from gravel the size of Volkswagon beatles. Chipped my paint all the hell as well. Would have happened to anyone.

I am older and have owned 8 cars in my life and this is the best of all 8. Well, except for my crappy old 1976 Plymouth Valiant that I owned in High School. Paid 50 bucks for it and sold it for 50 bucks to a junk yard 5 years later. Can't beat that!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 PM

Wow! That post made me realize that I have been driving for 22 years now! I hate how time reminds you how old you are!

TIME <<<Me killing time!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That report is for INITIAL QUALITY which is essentially how nice a car is or the amount of attention to detail is in the car. I can promise you Toyota spends a whole hell of a lot more time testing and checking every single detail in a Camry than they do in a $16000 xB.

However, what that report does not show is how mechanically sound or reliable a vehicle is. I can guarantee you you can grab any Kia, Hyundai, or Ford off the lot, drive it for a year and you will start to have issues. Compare that to our Scion and it makes our cars look like a Lexus.

My family's business is auto repair, and lets just say there is no way any of us are driving most the makes on that list!!

I for one am 100% satisfied with my Scion. It has it's small issues, but overall for $16000 there simply is not another vehicle out there that can match the quality, look, economy, safety, and reliability or the Scion.

Not even close.

I just don't see how you folks are having all these issues. For example, the brakes on the xB are the same Toyota has used on several other top notch vehicles.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:22 PM
SL Member

Hmmm,
Zero problems for me.
My first thoughts where, if I paid Porsche money, I wouldn't admit to spending that much on a heap, whereas I would be more likely to talk trash about a cheap car.
Kiiski
Old 06-05-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, here is a theory...

all scions are exactly the same with the exception of manual or automatic transmission, and the RS models.

so they are all essentially made from the same parts, so if they get a bad batch of parts one week. there will be alot of scions going out with defective widgets that will cause failures in their muffler bearing or etc.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:52 AM

Zero problems here too, except my wife's insistence on an automatic. OK, it's her car, but still it was a bit rude to demand like that.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After having the car for almost a year and with 18k miles on it, the only problem that I really had was with the a-pillar creaking. I got used to it so that wasn't a problem anymore. As far as reliabilities goes, I changed the oil, fed it gas and it runs like a champ!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

There's a big difference between initial quality and long term (or even medium term) reliability. I came to the xB from an Element. The Element was great for four years, then began to have significant problems that undermined my confidence in the vehicle. Not at all what I expected from a Honda. Honda! Jeez...they're supposed to be king of the hill in quality and reliability.

I'm happy with the xB...a fun ride and a great value.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member

This thread is a hoot, Scion's are Toyota's and go through the same testing a Camry would go through, I mean the xB is a Toyota Rumion in Japan for Christs sakes. It's a not a "cheap" car although it may not cost us a lot. Some people will have issues and will have lemons, but this cars value for $$$ is 2nd to none. The xB2 is fantastic in its build quality overall, yeah the paint could be better as could maybe the plastic inside the vehicle, but as far as build quality and reliability go it will be as reliable as any other Toyota vehicle since it IS a Toyota vehicle. This is coming from someone who has owned 3 Honda's, 2 BMW's, an Acura, a Ford and a Mazda. I owned a (brand new) Honda civic that had a pedal bracket crack, it had an oil pressure light malfunction and its bumpers would for some reason have inch gaps between the body, in other words a lemon, yet 99% of Civics are great cars.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:17 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

F it
i love my xb2
and enjoy it
no problems 7months and counting
Old 06-06-2008, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't had any real problems other then a clicking noise at -10 degrees or colder, but then every other car i have ever driven makes noise when its that cold outside.

Like stated above i think the main reason is because two of the three scion vehicles are brand new this year they haven't had time to work out the kinks.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with carbonxe wow you guys need to grow up, and to the person who said their mustang was of better quality you must have been pretty high the mustang is one of the biggest piles of crap on the market! And even funnier is that ford thinks its a sports/muscle car.... lol and Kia and any motorized vehicle produced by the chinese is junk kia is pathetic! Maybe you guys should just go buy whatever you had before because you dont belong here. you are pathetic complainers! I spent 17,000 on my car and I want it to be like a jag come one the cheapest jag is more than double the cost of the xb. I have also had zero problems except i agree the clear is a lil thin and the orange peel is a lil excessive but my 1998 new beetle had more orange peel so i guess cant complain and that car new was 25,000. Only problem i had was a cracked windshield however a rock hit it from the other lane of the highway. not scions fault. the A pillar noise come on you people must drive around without a stereo on I think i have heard mine once and that was because my phone was ringing so my stereo muted. It isnt very loud! the rear seat is loose so what do people slide around i doubt it. cry baby! If i offended anyone good im glad. in the words of areosmith somethings wrong with the world today the light bulb is getting dim, I would say that is for sure!!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:42 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

haha go bugtoxb
i agree 100%
leave the s*** talking of scions for the ppl that dont own them and dont know what there talking about
to bag on ur own car is pretty pathetic
enjoy it or trade it in
Old 06-06-2008, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default J.D Powers Initial Quality Report

First, let's say this, we all love our Scion rides. The xB & xA are what they are, funky & cheap transportation. The price reflected the lack of safety & overall features seen in the mainstream Toyota product line.

Scion rating makes sense for the 2007 Model year. Remember The xB & xA are glorified Daihatsu vehicles that Toyota slapped on the Scion Branding. The TC carried the weight of the Scion sales & quality ratings and IS Toyota Quality as well as the xB2 & xD now are.

Let's see how the 2008 report turns out. Scion has more Toyota like features & quality which at no surprise added cost to the product line for the consumer.

Initial Quality is based on the perception of the consumer if they got what they paid for! Kia & Hyundai's whole marketing platform is based on selling to the consumer that WANTS Toyota but can only afford Kia!! Of course they think they got more than they should have for what they paid! Otherwise, they would have a disposable ride that is never worth more than they owe on it EVEN when it's paid off. They only find this out when they want a new ride & NO BODY wants a used Kia or Hyundai!!

I don't think anyone has a hard time selling their used Scions, right?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lack of safety-no way. I do miss having a cruise control and adjustable intermitent wipers.

I do like having over 30mpg even around town-stop and go even-something the heavier cars (whether scion or toyota) don't have.

It's easy to make the first gen quieter and add features-that also adds weight-that necessitates a bigger motor-that makes for worse mileage-that makes it a 2nd gen xB

Not bagging on the second gens but they are closer in what they are to a camry or a tC or something and that does make them different. Personnally I like the go-kart, stop and turn on a dime handling of the light first gen and I will take some of the noise and creature comforts lack in exchange for that. It's still better than a hot hatch or something from the 80s and yet still has that quick light car feel.

It's still a toyota too-so it will last forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk
Old 06-06-2008, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow this thread really took a wrong turn..... .ok lets face it... we're not driving any cars that would warrant supreme luxury top notch quality. For the money, I truly believe nothing beats it. I believe this is the best car for the money with another $5000 tacked onto it. The car's got character, its got reliability, it's got great gas mileage (true gas mileage), and modifying it is the best part, there is so much aftermarket support.

This ranking was based off of customers and their reports. Lets also remember that Scion dealerships are Toyota dealerships and we all know Toyota / Lexus dealerships deliver A+++++ service. You report a small gripe, it gets taken care of, it gets logged and its serviced. I've had nissan's Infiniti's, BMW's, and Cadillac's before..... no one handles customer gripes as seriously as Lexus, Toyota, Scion.

Lets say 18,500 people were interviewed, out of those #'s 10% of those people in the Scion population had gripes reported to Scion delaerships. I bet you had those 10% owned a Mustang, 60% of them would probably have been turned away at the dealership as a "it's not our problem".

Quick Reply: I Don't understand why Scion is this far down the list