Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

I hate scratches/swirls :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:03 PM

if you are talking about the swirls left by the wax, then when you're done, get a gallon of distilled water, only use distilled water, and a real soft towel like you would use in your shower. let the car sit in the sun about 10 then pour some distilled water on the towel and wipe small sections of the car at a time. it works.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:15 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by jnd90745
Originally Posted by Kiiski
Definitly do the three step, just not by hand, the polish won't shine up to it's potential by hand. Spend the money and get the best orbital buffer out there, the Porter Cable 7424. You can usually find one for right around $100. I went from a cheapy 10" craftsman orbital to the 7424 and did my car in about an hour and a half, as opposed to 4+ hours with the cheap one and with a heuge difference on shine and depth.
Kiiski
which three step polish system do you recommend?
I do the Meguiars with a twist, instead of the "Step Three wax" I use Meguiars Gold wax, higher carnauba content which in my lowly opinion seems better (looks deeper) for darker colors.
I haven't tried Mother's products, but have heard good things about it.
I recently did a friends car with Griots machine polish number 3 and was really impressed. I plan on trying it and their best of show wax on my BCM once spring arrives.
Kiiski
Old 01-25-2008, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
If you are worried about the drying process leaving scratches, there is a little known method that is quite effective. use an electric leaf blower. I am not being facetious, it really does work and being no-touch will not scratch unless you're doing it in a dusty environment. I also use the mr. clean autodry car wash kit. It does regualr wash / rinse, soap mix and a filtered rinse mode for the water sheen effect that helps with spots. Only pain is having to change the filter cartridge every few washes but it works well.
I used to use the Mr. Clean thing all the time. But I noticed after a few washes my car didn't see to shine that great. I've read people think the Mr. Clean soap is harsh and removes wax, same way dish soap removes wax. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. But I don't use it anymore and am happier. It does work really well though. I've also heard of people using leaf blowers too, as long as like you said, don't do it in a dusty place.

What I do to minimize how much drying I have to do. After I'm done washing and rinsing, I take the nozzle off my hose and run water all over the car. The water sheets off and leaves minimal water behind that needs to be wiped off. I read that somewhere once and tried it. Doesn't sound like it would work, but it really does. Although I don't think it would work as well if the car wasn't waxed.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The paint on these xBs are horrible. There is no hope. The tC I could throw a rock at, and the paint would be fine. If i look at the xB the wrong way, it scratches.

I bought my car xB off the lot (63 miles because of a DX xfer) and there were already swirls from them washing it for me. The only reason i didn't go ape ____ on the sales guy was because he was helpful as hell throughout the whole process... though i didn't point it out to him. I think they just put a coat of wax on it to cover em up. If i wasn't desperate (in a matter of speaking - daily driver was dead, but didn't wanna drive the show car much longer) I would have told em there was no way in hell i was taking that one.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kiiski
I do the Meguiars with a twist, instead of the "Step Three wax" I use Meguiars Gold wax, higher carnauba content which in my lowly opinion seems better (looks deeper) for darker colors.
I haven't tried Mother's products, but have heard good things about it.
I recently did a friends car with Griots machine polish number 3 and was really impressed. I plan on trying it and their best of show wax on my BCM once spring arrives.
Kiiski

let's hope the wax system works out for, this is after i apply the touch-up paint, right!?!