Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

I have a riddle for you!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:08 PM
SL Member
SL Member

Default I have a riddle for you!

Why does SCION advertise installed price and then when you get to the dealer they charge you for labor?

I have gone round and round with these guys and they tell me that the parts price is not a installed price!

WTF?

I have sent a letter to SCION/TOYOTA corporate asking for a explanation since none of the dealers have a clue.

Any opinions or am I insane?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:26 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Did the same thing to me when I was looking to purchase, dealerships FTL. This is why I purchase parts online and install them myself.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM
SL Member
SL Member

Thanks for the reply....now I know i am not the only one.

I wanted to get the TRD shocks/struts and they tell me 695.00 but they are advertised for 495.00 on the SCION site and I am then told it is 425.00 to install them. WOW!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can't you report them to the BBB?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tanker
Thanks for the reply....now I know i am not the only one.

I wanted to get the TRD shocks/struts and they tell me 695.00 but they are advertised for 495.00 on the SCION site and I am then told it is 425.00 to install them. WOW!!!!!!!
lol never buy from the dealer unless u hate internet buying.

trdsparks or something right??? i forgot the discount site
Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where does scion advertise "installed price"? all they have on their site is the MSRP. and the disclaimer says "excludes taxes and price may vary from dealerships"

the msrp is scion's way to letting you know your paying too much for the product. so calm down.

if you want them for a discount. www.trdsparks.com, www.mcgeorgeparts.com

btw, those are toyota dealerships that sell them at a discount, so not all dealerships are rip off joints. and also, installation isn't something they should just do for free. some of these parts are labor intensive, like the suspension, superchargers, alarm systems etc.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 PM

Just bought my spoiler from Sparks with install kit for $303 shipped. Called the dealership today and they will install for around $55, so I'm saving around $70-100 just from buying online!
Old 03-04-2008, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those prices for accessories are installed prices if those parts/accessories are added at the time of purchase only. After that, you will pay for installation at the dealership, and it will be on top of the part price.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

because hourly rate at scion dealerships differ by state? the one by me is 95 a hour whats the one buy yyou guys.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Maytag
Those prices for accessories are installed prices if those parts/accessories are added at the time of purchase only. After that, you will pay for installation at the dealership, and it will be on top of the part price.
Actually that's not necessarily true. If you go to Scion.com and check out Build Your Scion, you will see that above each different area of the vehicle build options (interior, exterior, performance, etc.) that it clearly states "Installation not included for some accessories". This gives dealerships the ability to charge locally acceptable labor rates for labor intensive items that may not already have a certain amount of mark-up already included to allow for installation without an additional charge. The Scion.com website accessory prices are "manufacturer suggested retail prices", but dealerships can charge what they want. Places like Carson Toyota (www.newscionparts.com), Sullivan Bros. (eBay seller Toyotamall1) and Sparks Toyota (www.TRDSparks.com) all choose to sell below MSRP in the hopes of making up the lower profit margin in quantity of sales... and believe me, they do.

Unless you absolutely have to have the cost of an accessory built into the financing, there will always be a source that is cheaper than the dealership.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Originally Posted by Maytag
Actually that's not necessarily true. If you go to Scion.com and check out Build Your Scion, you will see that above each different area of the vehicle build options (interior, exterior, performance, etc.) that it clearly states "Installation not included for some accessories". This gives dealerships the ability to charge locally acceptable labor rates for labor intensive items that may not already have a certain amount of mark-up already included to allow for installation without an additional charge. The Scion.com website accessory prices are "manufacturer suggested retail prices", but dealerships can charge what they want. Places like Carson Toyota (www.newscionparts.com), Sullivan Bros. (eBay seller Toyotamall1) and Sparks Toyota (www.TRDSparks.com) all choose to sell below MSRP in the hopes of making up the lower profit margin in quantity of sales... and believe me, they do.

Unless you absolutely have to have the cost of an accessory built into the financing, there will always be a source that is cheaper than the dealership.

I was speaking strictly from experience only. When I bought my xB, they provided me with the accessory list with the MSRP figures. They advised that those prices, which are the same as posted on the Scion website, were the installed prices if added prior to delivery. My dealer indicated that if I come back several months later to get accessories, I will have to pay the MSRP as well as installation costs. I'll add that I'm not aware of the Scion website legalese, or other dealers practices. I will bet though that most dealers behave similarly to mine, in that they will not charge separate installation fees if accessories are added at the time the purchase order is drawn up.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Installed options

Sorry for the long post but I have experience at a Toyota/Scion Dealerships & I was a Scion Certified Rep.

I would be ticked too to find out AFTER you decided to get the option that it cost a lot more to install it. You did the right thing to write your letter for clarification. See if you have a President's Award Toyota/Scion Dealership in your area. Your chances are better to find a good rep there.

The prices for options like radios, shift ****, pedals, mats etc. Most dealerships will not add an installation fee. However, LSD, TRD shocks/struts etc., they do. It doesn't really matter if it's Scion or Toyota vehicle at that point.

Part of being a Scion dealership means they SHOULD post ALL pricing for options and I believe the fact that installation is extra has to be clearly posted too!Your experience is exactly why a sales person's & dealership's customer satisfaction rating can be so low. Scion is supposed to keep the dumb & bad reps from selling Scion by making sure ONLY Scion Certified Reps sell the brand. YOUR Rep is totally at fault & Scion doesn't want customers to experience what you did.

NOTE: What most sales people fail to communicate when it comes to the installed options is, if you request the car to be built in the factory with the option and the dealership doesn't have to use their labor to do it, THEN the dealership likely will NOT charge you the install fee. The only problem is you have to be willing to wait for it's arrival, stay on top of your order with the Scion Champion or Dealership Allocator! Oh, AND you have to be willing to put a deposit on the car. Most dealerships don't want to commit to the one off custom unit if you change your mind and go get a Honda Fit or something after they ordered the car for you.

I have worked with the dealership allocator to special build Toyota/Scions so that the inventory sold quicker & had unique features from the local competitors. IF you can find someone to build your Scion the way you want & don't mind the extra time, that is the best way to go to make sure it is covered by the full warranty. I am not sure things that you install yourself are covered??!!
Old 03-05-2008, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You all may also want to check out http://www.scionpartspeople.com. I picked up every factory accessory on my car from them and they seem to have the lowest price. They are the online sales branch of Scion of Puyallup, WA.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:26 PM
SL Member
SL Member

Default Re: Installed options

Originally Posted by ChspkScion
Sorry for the long post but I have experience at a Toyota/Scion Dealerships & I was a Scion Certified Rep.

I would be ticked too to find out AFTER you decided to get the option that it cost a lot more to install it. You did the right thing to write your letter for clarification. See if you have a President's Award Toyota/Scion Dealership in your area. Your chances are better to find a good rep there.

The prices for options like radios, shift ****, pedals, mats etc. Most dealerships will not add an installation fee. However, LSD, TRD shocks/struts etc., they do. It doesn't really matter if it's Scion or Toyota vehicle at that point.

Part of being a Scion dealership means they SHOULD post ALL pricing for options and I believe the fact that installation is extra has to be clearly posted too!Your experience is exactly why a sales person's & dealership's customer satisfaction rating can be so low. Scion is supposed to keep the dumb & bad reps from selling Scion by making sure ONLY Scion Certified Reps sell the brand. YOUR Rep is totally at fault & Scion doesn't want customers to experience what you did.

NOTE: What most sales people fail to communicate when it comes to the installed options is, if you request the car to be built in the factory with the option and the dealership doesn't have to use their labor to do it, THEN the dealership likely will NOT charge you the install fee. The only problem is you have to be willing to wait for it's arrival, stay on top of your order with the Scion Champion or Dealership Allocator! Oh, AND you have to be willing to put a deposit on the car. Most dealerships don't want to commit to the one off custom unit if you change your mind and go get a Honda Fit or something after they ordered the car for you.

I have worked with the dealership allocator to special build Toyota/Scions so that the inventory sold quicker & had unique features from the local competitors. IF you can find someone to build your Scion the way you want & don't mind the extra time, that is the best way to go to make sure it is covered by the full warranty. I am not sure things that you install yourself are covered??!!

Thank you for the info. I did receive a call from TOYOTA and they explained that the options installed at time of delivery. I explained that was confusing due to no explanation at the time I picked up my cars the dealer just took the check and I signed and was gone in less than a hour.

Kinda sucks they can not offer it for a period after purchase, say 6 months so if you change your mind you can get it done.

Thanks for all the input.