21.05%
50-beyond
10.53%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

I thought the XB was Focused towards Young Adults

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:21 PM

Default I thought the XB was Focused towards Young Adults

I wonder how many Older guys are buying the XB's.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: I thought the XB was Focused towards Young Adults

Originally Posted by ASHEPICKLE
I'm in my early thirties with a wife and kids. I wanted a vehicle with more room for me and my family (my wife has a 2000 Camry and my last car was a 2004 Volvo S40).

The 08 xB has plenty of room, great safety features, it has a powerful engine but still gets very good mileage for a non-hybrid wagon/crossover ... and it looks awesome. Of course, it also helps that the out-the-door price after taxes is just over $18,000. My monthly payment is $350 ... that's less than what I paid to LEASE a new SUV for three years back in 2000.

A quality Toyota family wagon/crossover loaded with great features for less than the price of most mid-size sedans! Heck a base Camry CE costs more than the new xB and the Camry has less room and fewer base features. Also, with the new 08 EPA mileage numbers, the base Camry barely gets better gas mileage than the new xB.

Bottom line, a good vehicle at a good price will attract buyers of all ages.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It may be focused towards the younger market, but I am not too old to know a good thing when I see it.

Besides, the xB is a chick magnet ;) LOL
Old 06-03-2007, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 32 and my wife and I stopped by and looked at the new xB Friday. She's thinking about a new car in 6-12 months, so I wanted her to take a look and get her reaction. She LOVED it. Luckily they didn't have a Blackberry Crush automatic there or I would have had a hard time getting her to leave without it. We only drove it around the parking lot (din't plan on driving it at all really) but it felt smooth, had great visibility and a ton of features. Also, I'm a big fan of versatile vehicles (like my tC, you should see some of the stuff I fit in there...) and the new xB has a great deal of space while getting better fuel economy than even most small SUVs.

Last I read the median ago for Scion buyers is 30, so considering how many Scion drivers I see on the board and in real life who are late teens/early 20s, there are an equal number of Scion buyers as old as or older than we are.

We're at least 3 months out from possibly getting an xB and I'm already starting be get a little jealous. Sure, I'll get to drive it from time to time, and I'll probably modify it a little, but it will still be "her car". I guess I'll wait and see what the next tC is like.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My understanding is that Scion still has the youngest median age in the industry.

Also, the gap between older and younger is not as big and many "older" people jump that gap all the time. Go to the mall and check out some of the "older" women shopping in the "younger" girls section and styles
Old 06-03-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

43 and going thru midlife crisis, feel liek33 some days???
Old 06-03-2007, 08:09 PM
SL Member

Default Age

57.......Love when I roll down the window and you young guys see me
Old 06-03-2007, 08:13 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Xtreme_Graphics
It may be focused towards the younger market, but I am not too old to know a good thing when I see it.

Besides, the xB is a chick magnet ;) LOL
dittoooooooo
Old 06-03-2007, 09:39 PM
SL Member

Default scion age

With snoop blasting on Radio
Old 06-03-2007, 09:50 PM
SL Member

Default Re: scion age

Originally Posted by postman
With snoop blasting on Radio

prefer The Platters
Old 06-04-2007, 12:31 AM

I draw the line with that music. My kids drive me crazy with that crap. Payback I guess.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:31 AM
SL Member

Default Age

I'm a really big Motown 60s guy myself.........But I can dig todays stuff as well We are getting paid back........Karma man
Old 06-04-2007, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Age

Originally Posted by postman
57.......Love when I roll down the window and you young guys see me
Same here!

Had read that Toyota had originally intended to market to young males, but were surprised when they saw that "empty nesters" were buying their vehicles as well.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: I thought the XB was Focused towards Young Adults

Originally Posted by rustedborg
Originally Posted by ASHEPICKLE
I'm in my early thirties with a wife and kids. I wanted a vehicle with more room for me and my family (my wife has a 2000 Camry and my last car was a 2004 Volvo S40).

The 08 xB has plenty of room, great safety features, it has a powerful engine but still gets very good mileage for a non-hybrid wagon/crossover ... and it looks awesome. Of course, it also helps that the out-the-door price after taxes is just over $18,000. My monthly payment is $350 ... that's less than what I paid to LEASE a new SUV for three years back in 2000.

A quality Toyota family wagon/crossover loaded with great features for less than the price of most mid-size sedans! Heck a base Camry CE costs more than the new xB and the Camry has less room and fewer base features. Also, with the new 08 EPA mileage numbers, the base Camry barely gets better gas mileage than the new xB.

Bottom line, a good vehicle at a good price will attract buyers of all ages.
32 Yo here, no kids but other than that I agree with this guy. I am replacing my wife's 97 Explorer, it will be her car. My car is a Pontiac GTO (made by Holden in Australia) and the fuel cell is in the trunk so I have very little space for more than a weekend escape and the milleage of a 6.0 liter V8 is scary on the day to day driving. I use my Aprilia scooter almost every day (55-59 mpg) Yup, and I like weird and rare vehicles too.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I really screw up the demographics; I'll be 65 in August and I just traded in my 04 XB for a new XB.....
Old 06-04-2007, 01:36 PM

I'm coming up on 43 soon. I've always been a bit immature for my age, but this car just fits the bill for me in so may ways.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member

I'm 40 and it was time for my mid-life crisis car! It was the XB or the Cayman and I figured the marriage and bank account would survive the XB alot easier.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Anyone else notice that mostly older people posted here? I decided I'd bring some youngin up in here. but on another note, the xB isn't a crossover. Its just a wagon. And from what I've read here on ScionLife, it seems like people are buying them because of the space and such. Looks like the xB2 is gonna be a soccer mom car.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think you can market a car for people in high school and college and expect them to pay more than $13,000 (unless their parents give them money or buy it for them and pay their insurance premium). By the time you pay taxes and intrest fees, you are looking at over $20,000 for the new xB with automatic tranny. I see their main market being between 22 and 36.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM

I'm 43 and my wife can't believe I am considering replacement of my Chevy Avalanche with a new xB. The Avalanche is a great truck but I don't need it for towing anymore (wife has an Envoy XL) and would sure appreciate something with a practical configuration that gets better mileage. The xB seems to fill the bill. I'm waiting on my dealer to get a manual transmission so I can make a decision with respect to that issue. If a manual doesn't come in by this weekend I intend to travel to a larger city to do a test drive. If the xB doesn't impress I'll probably get a Rav4.

Quick Reply: I thought the XB was Focused towards Young Adults