Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Immediately after reading the "toast" thread, mine got hit!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Immediately after reading the "toast" thread, mine got hit!

An 18yr old girl lightly swiped my left rear corner while I was stopped on a shoulder. Her right front fender scraped my left rear bumper fascia, her right mirror dented the 1/4 panel sheet metal adjacent the hatch and grazed the tinted tail light lens.

It really doesn't look like much, but I took it for an estimate today for 100% restoration (still under 5K miles) and the total came in at $987.73 -- ouch! The 1/4 panel dent can't be pulled due to its proximity to a corner and so it'll have to be filled and the whole panel repainted plus replacement of the plastic stone protector films adjacent the door (and refinish the fuel door to guarantee consistency). The rear bumper fascia will have to be removed and refinished/repainted. They'll need it for about four days to do the work.

Man, was expecting it to be $500 or less. I'm glad the bill won't be mine, but losing the car for a few days is definitely a less than ideal situation .

PS. What's also a little disconcerting is this is the third time the car has been bumped in less than 5K miles -- getting to be a bit much, you know !

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-11-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would highly consider parking somewhere else if it has been bumped/hit THREE times is less than 5k miles.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, it's like The Ring.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pno02
I would highly consider parking somewhere else if it has been bumped/hit THREE times is less than 5k miles.
Three different places, two parking lots and this shoulder hit. I could start to get a little paranoid at this rate (even if they aren't out to get me).

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-11-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Three different places, two parking lots and this shoulder hit.
wow, that really sucks. That is a lot of bad luck!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jnaval
Wow, it's like The Ring.

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Dats good stuff.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow trevor just become a hermit and park it in a single garage. That will teach them lol
Old 06-11-2010, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car got hit with about the same amount of miles on it except my fiance was driving it and the guy decided that her lane look a lot better then hers and swipped the front fender. I lost the car for 3-4 days and they gave me a crappy rental. I feel your pain.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude that sucks man! 3 times in 5K miles. i dont know about you, but i always park my xB like waaaay out there when i go to the grocery store, mall etc. my fiance hates it but i dont wanna risk any hits
Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FatBoyTrucker
dude that sucks man! 3 times in 5K miles. i dont know about you, but i always park my xB like waaaay out there when i go to the grocery store, mall etc. my fiance hates it but i dont wanna risk any hits
First hit was parked way back in a parking lot, broad daylight. An idiot opened the passenger door of a lifted small pickup into my drivers door and there was plenty of open space out there, no need for them to have been anywhere near me.

Second hit was a car actually backed some thirty or so feet into my nose in a parking lot in broad daylight -- again my car was stationary.

Then of course, this one -- also broad daylight (with sun behind, not in front). Interesting thing is there were other scrape marks on the front fender where she hit my bumper fascia, and other marks on her mirror where it damaged my lens and 1/4 panel -- I'd say there was no truly new injury to her vehicle at all (2000 Mazda 626). Apparently she received the car as a hand-me-down from her grandmother, but I'm suspecting those injuries and the way she struck my xB indicate she has an ongoing problem judging the location of her right front.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got hit while i was at skool came out and had a nice surprise on my passenger side fender 1 week after i bought my car i wish i could caught the person
Old 06-12-2010, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

under a thousand is actually pretty cheap for the quarter panel
Old 06-12-2010, 01:47 PM
SL Member

First off I am sorry to hear that, I would agree that in the big picture the price is not bad at all the 3-4 days stinks however.

Hope you get it back fast and right
Old 06-12-2010, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope you are getting at least a rental car for that time. I hate to think of what her dad's insurance rate is on her and........ I wonder what she was texting when she got ya?!?!?!?! 18 + cell phone + car = TROUBLE

Very sorry for the problems dude. I would FREAK if someone hit my B.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Her Dad was hoping to avoid an insurance claim, but at $1K, it gets tougher to do. I was really hoping that shallow dent could be pulled, and the fascia paint wasn't seriously damaged, but what appears fairly modest to me turns out to be a little more to correct .

Both her parents ended up coming out. First her Mom to bring her insurance ID card, then her Dad had to leave work and go home to pick up her Driver's License. We waited for both ID's to arrive before contacting the police -- no point in avoidable complications. The police estimated it at under $1.5K which is apparently the threshold for an accident report and writing a ticket. I could have requested it anyway, but I declined. Otherwise, she would have had a ticket for improper lane change.

Got the quote FAXed to them yesterday with another copy in the mail, so now they have to decide how they want to handle it. Turns out both our insurance companies use this repair shop, so I've no reason to think the estimate is out of line, plus the guy's explanation of the work seemed reasonable.

Not sure about ride, but everything's fairly local, so I expect it's time to straighten the out-of-true rear wheel on my bicycle !
Old 06-18-2010, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spent some quality time with my xB damage today and between soap&water, Turtlewax Bug&Tar remover, and judicious light wet-sanding with emery paper, the rear bumper fascia is looking decent now. With a fair amount of additional elbow grease, the dented sheet metal adjacent the hatch is also looking respectable. So, it appears the real question is whether it's practical to push out the 1/4 panel dent -- no creasing and the paint is intact. I'm hoping yes, but I don't know who I can count on for quality PDR work around here. I expect to start my hunt tomorrow -- to be seen how it works out.