Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

inadaquate airflow, weird smell, front intake 08 XB, MOD FIX

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

zio you must consider that looks sell more cars than function. People don't buy Mustangs, Porsches, Ferraris, etc. because the are functional. They buy them for looks and performance. They have little practical value other than they are capable of getting a person from point A to B.

Manufacturers must consider the appeal of a car along with it's function if they expect to have decent sales. If they can keep the engine cool while still making an appealing car, they've done what they need regardless of other negative effects. If ultimate longevity were the key, they would move all the electronics possible to the outer shell to maximize cooling. They would spend less time worrying about the aerodymics of the body and more time on aerodynamics around heat sensitive parts.

The fact of the matter is cars need to be pretty to sell more. They must break in order to sell parts or be replaced.

I think your approach is a bit extreme but if it solved the problem for you, bravo.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by chadfo
The fact of the matter is cars need to be pretty to sell more.
If that's true, our cars are not destined to be big sellers.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:52 AM
zio
SL Member

Default lol you're funny too.

[quote="chadfo"]zio you must consider that looks sell more cars than function. People don't buy Mustangs, Porsches, Ferraris, etc. because the are functional. They buy them for looks and performance. quote]

Say that again to yourself. That is exactly why people buy high "performance" cars, they have functions that other cars do not.

Functional engineering is essential to car sales. Infinity preaches that standpoint as does anything German.

Car makers can do anything they want, my job has been to fix the problems, it's my nature. I see a problem I fix it.

Zio
Old 04-26-2008, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: The nerdiest XB?

Originally Posted by zio
Cool,

The coolest equates to the best, I want my scion XB to last- I am not trading it in.

Nerdiest Scion- like the Geek shall inherit the earth?

lol. Ur funny.

Physically cooler computers last longer, ask anyone who builds them.
The same is true for any automated, sensor-based electrical control system.

You'll notice that your warranty does not cover many sensors, it specifically excludes them, unless you upgrade your warranty at time of purchase. In other words read the warranty before you call me out on this thread.

Scion XB's have a base warranty of 36K miles not 60K, only specific emissive control parts are covered by the 8 year. I read the waranty and wondered why all those sensors weren't covered-

Sensors are very expensive- ask any mechanic.

So you are saying that looks are more important than function? You sound like an idiot, go back to school, get an education. I would focus on physical sciences and then move on to chemistry, and once you can understand basic physics laws and then move on to designing automotive automation electronics systems- come back and we'll chat about the math of thermodynamics and destructive heat propagation through solid state electronics, and service lifetimes of said materials under loaded conditions.

Zio
No thanks I have a life and I'm not wasting anymore of my time on you!
Old 04-26-2008, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ok, I admit pretty might not have been the best word choice but take the car in the picture below. Functionally it's almost the same as the XB but which would you prefer to own? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think most people would take the XB.

The car in this picture will reportedly do the quarter mile in 12 seconds but you don't see people putting posters of them on their walls or turning their heads when something like this goes by on the street other than to gawk like they did when the original XB hit the streets (no offense gen 1 owners).

Functionally this XB would be great. No front fascia would maximize cooling. Everyone says the XB isn't aerodynamic so there shouldn't be any impact there. There's incredible airflow to the intake. The 5 MPH front bumper is still completely functional. If it didn't have the hood either, it would make maintenance access a dream. So who would buy it if they were on the lot like this?
Old 04-26-2008, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Zio's Dream xB
Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member

Default This is silly

...so I'm just going to jump right in.

If the car itself is designed to be a bottom breather why do you need extra holes?

On the other hand, the '08 is a first generation design using a larger engine BUT if you look at the TC doesn't it have the same problem?

and engine wise couldn't you compensate for 'inadequate' airflow by changing coolant flow & capacity?

Anyway, I think it is an interesting mod but not a necessary one.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:30 PM
zio
SL Member

Default GRILLED AT LAST, GRILLED AT LAST

Hey to all you haters out there-

I'm grilled- so zip it.

Zio
Old 04-28-2008, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Zio! You bore me. I've been reading some of your lame thinking for weeks now. You used to amuse me. Now the only smelly odor around is your poor thoughts on a design team with decades of design experience and time (Not to mention tried and true measuring equipment) Did I mention a staff of engineers). I will spend ny money on real benefit inducers. MODS! Say what you will in reply. My engine compartment is fine and very cool without excess air holes. I must have got an extra air car.

By the way, "Chicken Little" Read the book "The rubber smell is there, the rubber smell is there".

the holes do look ok covered though.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:09 AM
zio
SL Member

Default lol

Dano,

Boring is not trying to help other people with an obvious airflow problem.

AIR FLOW Experts DO NOT PLACE AIR DAMS IN FRONT OF AIR-WATER HEAT EXCHANGERS UNLESS THEY HAVE MADE A MISTAKE OR WANT IT TO FAIL.

I know not a single race modder that places an air dam in front of their heat exchangers.

My XB is cooler than yours, period.

Zio
Old 04-29-2008, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If, as you say, there is an air flow problem would it not be found on each and every one of our cars? Yes! I'll answer for you. Why then do I not notice any heat or rubber burning smell or any other of your proposed issues?
In the year or so that the 08 has been out, other than yourself and those you have persuaded that there is an issue or problem, has anyone else in the wide world of the automotive industry found that there is indeed a design flaw? I'm waiting!
This car and engine is designed to last some 400,000 miles.
If such a heat issue was truly apparent then why no recall or TSB? Or masive breakdowns on public roads? Too new still? Too few on the road? Burning issues under the hood manifest themselves as a big problem fairly rapidly. NO?
You may have indeed sent air to mask the true issue (something too close to your manifold or tranny oil pan etc.) but, as in the opening threads of this post, you my dear friend have only covered the problem by blowing air onto it. It is still there.
If your air flow figures are correct then this vehicle is sufficiently adequate to handle such temp. I believe in you Scion.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Why is everyone bashing this guy?

Its his car and his money, and what he said about the mod is right. His car is cooler than ours.

Its his decision if he wants to cut up a brand new car or not. You didn't pay a penny for his xB, so why all the hating?
Old 04-29-2008, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good clean fun only! zio is "good people" and a great conversationalist. In a sense, the air vent mods do appear much more appealing to me with the grills. And besides sometimes arguing with skilled people sometimes force a learning experience on the one egging on the argument (Me) So There boooosty!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hate is a strong word... Dislike is more accurate for me... Elitist have no place in the Scion community... Buy a BMW and then look down your nose...
Old 04-29-2008, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Zio, your bumper grille is hella ugly.

Thanks for playing.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:00 PM
zio
SL Member

Default lol

lol,

Elite? No but informative, yes.

I think your cars are hot as hell, I can't wait for your first non-warranty bill.

Zio

-Driving the coolest XB on the planet.-
Old 04-30-2008, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: lol

Originally Posted by zio
lol,

-Driving the coolest XB on the planet.-
Got it! Didn't you mean foolest though? :D
Old 05-01-2008, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

ok now Zio is starting to sound cocky

Old 05-01-2008, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boooosty
Why is everyone bashing this guy?

Its his car and his money, and what he said about the mod is right. His car is cooler than ours.

Its his decision if he wants to cut up a brand new car or not. You didn't pay a penny for his xB, so why all the hating?
Because what he did makes no sense and on top of that he tried to give a scientific explanation of why it was necessary.

I agree, he can do whatever he wants to his car, just don't come onto this board telling us all that our cars are somehow inferior and expect not to get flamed.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

zio you need to black out the grill and center bumper.. then it would blend more

Quick Reply: inadaquate airflow, weird smell, front intake 08 XB, MOD FIX