Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

lady's xb

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GREENE
actually it is not.yet.they have been trying but the law has yet to pass.some cops would get ____ed and write you for other things but not that yet
i thought that if the HID wasnt DOT approved (which most aren't) then they would be illegal for on road applications. ie off road purpose/shows only.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by flyingemu05
i thought that if the HID wasnt DOT approved (which most aren't) then they would be illegal for on road applications. ie off road purpose/shows only.
You're right, that's why all HID conversion kits specify that they are not approved for highway use, and are for off road use only.... ignorance is bliss.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks everybody for making my point about the lights very clear. it made my job a lot easier without having to be here to argue lol.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No one's arguing here, we're just having an informed vs. uninformed discussion.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah, gotcha
Old 08-09-2011, 02:58 PM

ur right i dont.i need the lights to see.where i live theres palm trees in between the streets.there arnt any dark two lane highways.so really its not doing a whole lot to other drivers.like i said if a cop doesnt like it then he will cite me for it.i dont need to hear it from you constantly.if you hate hids so much then go become part of government and ban every hid on the road.until then get off my thread
Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to inform you, but it's a public forum, not a personal thread solely for your praise. You posted some info that a lot of other drivers don't agree with. That doesn't mean that it doesn't work for you, it just means that you have to be open to a little criticism. Do what you want, and be happy about it, but don't get upset if not everybody agrees with your mod.

BTW, many of the people commenting here actually do have and appreciate the extra output of HIDs (myself included), we just see the potential danger that removing the cut-off can generate. It's basically like running high-powered high beams all the time.

If it works for you, and nobody seems to mind, then more power to ya.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ur right i dont.i need the lights to see.where i live theres palm trees in between the streets.there arnt any dark two lane highways.so really its not doing a whole lot to other drivers.like i said if a cop doesnt like it then he will cite me for it.i dont need to hear it from you constantly.if you hate hids so much then go become part of government and ban every hid on the road.until then get off my thread
I dont hate hids, i think they are great! i just think they should be properly used. and dude, this is a public forum. if you cant handle the criticism, then dont post, and gloat, and try to defend something that many people are going to disagree with you about.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Sorry to inform you, but it's a public forum, not a personal thread solely for your praise. You posted some info that a lot of other drivers don't agree with. That doesn't mean that it doesn't work for you, it just means that you have to be open to a little criticism. Do what you want, and be happy about it, but don't get upset if not everybody agrees with your mod.

BTW, many of the people commenting here actually do have and appreciate the extra output of HIDs (myself included), we just see the potential danger that removing the cut-off can generate. It's basically like running high-powered high beams all the time.

If it works for you, and nobody seems to mind, then more power to ya.
no i understand that.and didnt mean to come off as a d**k.just dont appreciate him saying the same thing over n over again clouding the post. and like i stated its really not crazy obstructing bright.its just as bright as a non projector lense with an hid setup in it and those are running all over the place.also i did point them down a tad bit lower since removing that plate gave it more light up higher so i aimed them down so it isnt in peoples mirrors or eyes
Old 08-10-2011, 04:43 AM

and what i was saying is hids in general cannot be fined.the only way they can get you for them(as of right now) is if you have higher than 10000 kelvin(i.e. the blues and purples).they can write you a ticket to go to a state referee which then you will be cited for all the lights and everything thats not dot like intake and what not but i have a few sheriff and chp buddys and more than likely they arnt going to go through that hassle until it becomes a law to where all hids not factory equipped will be cited
Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they aren't going to go through that hassle until it becomes a law to where all hids not factory equipped will be cited
That's exactly what the law is here in Cali... not DOT certified OEM, then not legal. Since I'm running 35w 5000k with the cut-offs still installed, as well as being pointed down a little to help keep the squirrel finders from blinding oncoming traffic, I haven't had any trouble from popo even when following directly behind them at night.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
That's exactly what the law is here in Cali... not DOT certified OEM, then not legal. Since I'm running 35w 5000k with the cut-offs still installed, as well as being pointed down a little to help keep the squirrel finders from blinding oncoming traffic, I haven't had any trouble from popo even when following directly behind them at night.

ya i run 6000k 55watters and have never been pulled over for them.my buddy on the other hand had a set of 30000k(purple to match his maroon truck) and he got popped for them twice.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, my research for a definitive answer didnt turn out anything specific, but this is what ive come to. there are DOT approved aftermarket hid kits, but they are still not considered "street legal" by the nhtsa. thats the NATIONAL highway traffic safety administration. i also couldn't find anything specific regarding removing the cut off, but i am sure that removing that in any projectors, OEM or aftermarket, would completely defeat the point of having projectors, and consider them to be nonoperational, and its illegal to have a broken head light on the street.

but this is my last attempt to try and knock some sense into you. i hope you dont hurt anyone, excluding yourself, and good luck at forever defending yourself against all reason.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:58 AM

ha.alright dude
Old 08-11-2011, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude, I've nothing but respect for the positive things you've done for your lady -- bless her! I just can't support in any way the disabling of the projector headlights (removal of that strip of metal). I consider that misguided at the least and your responses are hopelessly discouraging. I'm totally sincere in my hope oncoming drivers can cope with your modification and that no injuries result, but none of this means that I mean you less than well. We are fellow drivers, just please be cognizant of the rest of us!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:46 AM

and i understand what you're saying but you writing back over and over again saying the same thing is not going to make me change my mind and suddenly put them back in.its a mod i did.i like it.so leave it at that and drop the whole subject.thanks
Old 08-11-2011, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eignub
but this is my last attempt to try and knock some sense into you. i hope you dont hurt anyone, excluding yourself, and good luck at forever defending yourself against all reason.
why would you wish harm on him just for the HIDs lol.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by flyingemu05
why would you wish harm on him just for the HIDs lol.
^I know right? lol That's exactly what I was thinking!

@GREENE: Okay, so you're going to talk about aftermarket HID kits being put into non-HID projectors (halogen only that are designed to reflect less-intense halogen bulbs only) and call it not illegal, and yet you drive with illegal 35% tint on your front windshield? Ha ha ha ha lmao!

That's like one being adamantly against shoplifters, yet one blatantly steals music online. lol. Or washing towels with your good cotton shirts - sure they'll get clean, but it's just wrong and only drug abusers do that.

It's all about choosing which laws you want to obey.

Last edited by pyroman131; 08-11-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by pyroman131
^I know right? lol That's exactly what I was thinking!

@GREENE: Okay, so you're going to talk about aftermarket HID kits being put into non-HID projectors (halogen only that are designed to reflect less-intense halogen bulbs only) and call it not illegal, and yet you drive with illegal 35% tint on your front windshield? Ha ha ha ha lmao!

That's like one being adamantly against shoplifters, yet one blatantly steals music online. lol. Or washing towels with your good cotton shirts - sure they'll get clean, but it's just wrong and only drug abusers do that.

It's all about choosing which laws you want to obey.
im saying that they cant cite you just for the lights unless theres other ways around it.like i said im friends with a few sheriffs and chp out here and what i explained is what they told me.im sure all hids not originally equipped will be soon a writable violation.and yes my truck is very illegal.did i ever say it wasnt? tint on my windshield.tint on my side windows.8 offroad lights uncovered.no mudflaps.tinted taillights,shall i continue? i never once said i dont break laws i was just giving the legal outlook on it from when i asked officers
Old 08-11-2011, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im saying that they cant cite you just for the lights unless theres other ways around it.like i said im friends with a few sheriffs and chp out here and what i explained is what they told me.im sure all hids not originally equipped will be soon a writable violation.and yes my truck is very illegal.did i ever say it wasnt? tint on my windshield.tint on my side windows.8 offroad lights uncovered.no mudflaps.tinted taillights,shall i continue? i never once said i dont break laws i was just giving the legal outlook on it from when i asked officers
I know man I'm just busting your *****. lol. But they could potentially make aftermarket HIDs a citation. Here in Florida, cops can now pull you over if you're not buckled - a law I support. Now if they started writing citations for HIDs, I probably wouldn't take mine out lol

Anyway the ride looks pretty good and it's cool she digs it. I think the next thing you should consider is a new grill for her ride. The FIG grills are popular - I have one and it's nice.

Since you lowered it, that will help with not blinding people, but you'll definitely want to test those lights out in neighborhoods when you drive up on parked cars to see if the top line of her lights go into the cabin of those cars or hit their mirrors.

Quick Reply: lady's xb