Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

MSRP Discount!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:19 AM
SL Member

The doc fee in WA is only $35. As for pricing of the car keep in mind your salesperson. If there was only $500 of profit and you are lucky to get $100 per car you sell that is not much money for the person to live on and then what kind of service would you get in buying your scion. We need to eat to. hehe
Old 06-18-2007, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what you are saying is that people only get good service from the dealer or the salesperson when they make a lot of money ? If that is the case, you should get away from selling Scions because we all know that there is "no money" in the car. Or, we all know that only the dealer is making the money.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:26 PM
SL Member

no my point is that there is all ready low profit and someones post was we should lower the amount over invoice to a nickel over. all i am saying is that the saleman would make even less if that was the case.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionchampion
no my point is that there is all ready low profit and someones post was we should lower the amount over invoice to a nickel over. all i am saying is that the saleman would make even less if that was the case.
I'm the one who said "nickel over" (which is dealerspeak for $500 over invoice, right?) Anyway, my point was that dealers seem to be able to sell most other cars for $500 over invoice, so why not Scions as well? I'm assuming it has to do with 0 holdback on Scions, but I never got an answer to that.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You may not ever get a true answer an that toronado unless you find someone who was / is a GM of a dealership or comparable position at one. The average salesperson is not likely to be privy to the true details of a franchise like Scion.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only reason dealers are willing to do that is because of the holdback. However, the problem of selling everything like that, is you'll have a labor pull of Best Buy and Wal-Mart checkers to pick from. Automotive professionals can easily make 100k+, and it's not by selling everything at $500 over. And no, it's not too much money, when you consider how much compensation you would need to never take more than a 5 days vacation at one time, to never see your family, to work every weekend, to miss all the birthday events that fall on the weekends, and to miss every single holiday. Labor day weekend? selling cars. Fourth of July? Selling cars. Memorial day weekend? selling cars.

The other thing to consider is that dealers get paid a bonus for hitting sales markers....not so with Scion. It's sometimes included in the dealer's overall new car count, but not for all the bonuses they get. e.g. 100% of objective = $150/car 110% = 250 and 120% = 400, and what not. Not included with Scion.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Re: LA Area

Originally Posted by toronado
Personally, I'd like to know what kind of buying experiences people have had who have purchased their 08 xB in the Los Angeles vicinity. I know a few people here have purchased from Longo.

I am currently shopping for an 08xB,

I have gone to Northridge Toyota, I spoke with one sales rep, and 2 managers, all 3 didn't even know that there was a GPS in dash for the 08, the sales rep even was trying to show my dad a dvd headrest display for another car altogether to play off it looked like that. In short, they were running around checking on stuff, left me and my dad alone, we walked.

Another bad one was Keys Toyota, They only had 3 xB08's in stock, which is not a problem, when we started talking about what accy's i wanted (in dash, lowering springs, and the 19inch TRD wheels) they were going to show me prices way above scion.com cost for those ($2500 for Nav, and $1000 for lowering springs) When I called the sales rep on it, he got all defensive and said to check scion.com because thats what it said. Although he tried showing me on keys scion's website which has no information for xB08's on it. IN short, we walked.

Those are the bad ones.

The ones that actually knew about the cars they were selling were

Hamer Toyota
Simi Valley Toyota
Thousand Oaks toyota

Both Hamer and Simi Valley said they would look around for the car i wanted and call me back, Thousand Oaks was the only dealership that said that for a small refundable deposit ($200-500) they could "order" the car with what i want, and it could take like a month to get there. Im not sure if thats even possible, im sure they would just wait for the car to hit Long Beach Port and install the accessories there and call me when its on its way to the dealer.

I still haven't purchased my xB08 yet, but so far ill only be looking to buy at Hamer Simi or Thousand Oaks
Old 06-24-2007, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by orochics
Personally, I'd like to know what kind of buying experiences people have had who have purchased their 08 xB in the Los Angeles vicinity. I know a few people here have purchased from Longo.

I have gone to Northridge Toyota, I spoke with one sales rep, and 2 managers, all 3 didn't even know that there was a GPS in dash for the 08, the sales rep even was trying to show my dad a dvd headrest display for another car altogether to play off it looked like that. In short, they were running around checking on stuff, left me and my dad alone, we walked.

Another bad one was Keys Toyota, They only had 3 xB08's in stock, which is not a problem, when we started talking about what accy's i wanted (in dash, lowering springs, and the 19inch TRD wheels) they were going to show me prices way above scion.com cost for those ($2500 for Nav, and $1000 for lowering springs) When I called the sales rep on it, he got all defensive and said to check scion.com because thats what it said. Although he tried showing me on keys scion's website which has no information for xB08's on it. IN short, we walked.

Those are the bad ones.

Hamer Toyota
Simi Valley Toyota
Thousand Oaks toyota

Both Hamer and Simi Valley said they would look around for the car i wanted and call me back, Thousand Oaks was the only dealership that said that for a small refundable deposit ($200-500) they could "order" the car with what i want, and it could take like a month to get there. Im not sure if thats even possible, im sure they would just wait for the car to hit Long Beach Port and install the accessories there and call me when its on its way to the dealer.

I still haven't purchased my xB08 yet, but so far ill only be looking to buy at Hamer Simi or Thousand Oaks
Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Sounds like you are shopping the Simi/T.O./SVF area. Ever been to North Hollywood Toyota? I was wondering if they are any good.

I was at T.O. Toyota a few months back with a friend who was looking at the Camry Hybrid. The dealership experience was pretty much the same as usual. First we test drove the car with a young salesperson who then after the test drive says something like "Well... I'm kinda new here, so I'm going to introduce you to my manager" at which point they abandon us and sick the "closer" on us. It's really annoying and totally predictable. I can't tell you how much I hate dealerships.

I'm looking to find someplace where I can avoid all that nonsense and deal directly with one person from start to finish. I'm thinking something along the lines of a fleet dept. manager or internet dept. manager. Someone who is going to keep it simple and not waste my time with all that other sales crap.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:07 AM

Its funny you say that, I just got off the phone with my uncle (25 year ASE Mechanic) he said forget the showroom, just go into the Fleet Dept and tell em exactly what you want. And have them get it for you. Their whole job is to sell alot of cars, like if they hit a perticular quota, the dealer gets like 2 free cars or some kickbacks to sell on the lot.

I'm going to check on that to see what Fleet can do.

I haven't checked out Toyota of North Hollywood. I checked their website and they didnt have much stock. Understandable, it is a new car, It's just a bit too far to drive when you dont own your own car :D
Old 06-24-2007, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member

I got my '06XA from Santa Monica Toyota cause I know the finance manager. She put me in touch with one of her salesmen and he was awesome. Told him the color and what I wanted (nothing) on the car and he stayed in touch with me until it arrived. Went in and had the papers all drawn up. Signed and left in 20 min. Easy, with no upsell or any of that BS. I highly recommend them.

Those are the bad ones.

Hamer Toyota
Simi Valley Toyota
Thousand Oaks toyota

Old 06-24-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion does not have fleet pricing

Its funny you say that, I just got off the phone with my uncle (25 year ASE Mechanic) he said forget the showroom, just go into the Fleet Dept and tell em exactly what you want. And have them get it for you. Their whole job is to sell alot of cars, like if they hit a perticular quota, the dealer gets like 2 free cars or some kickbacks to sell on the lot.

I haven't checked out Toyota of North Hollywood. I checked their website and they didnt have much stock. Understandable, it is a new car, It's just a bit too far to drive when you dont own your own car :D
Just a heads up there is no special fleet pricing for scions. The pure price is what it is. Yes dealers can sell below MSRP but if they do so it needs to be posted and they have to do it to all the inventory not just one car. I am a scion certified sells consultant and sold 10 1st gen xb's to one customer for his repair fleet he bought them all at once and there was no fleet discount its just the way scion does business, As a scion employee I was able to buy my 2008 Xb at $120.00 over invoice just a little more than $800.00 under MSRP. Most dealers charge full sticker due to the very little mark up. Most dealers need to average $1200.00 profit per car sell to keep the dealership up and running.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:32 PM
SL Member

Default Re: Scion does not have fleet pricing

I am a scion certified sells consultant and sold 10 1st gen xb's to one customer for his repair fleet he bought them all at once and there was no fleet discount its just the way scion does business, As a scion employee I was able to buy my 2008 Xb at $120.00 over invoice just a little more than $800.00 under MSRP. Most dealers charge full sticker due to the very little mark up. Most dealers need to average $1200.00 profit per car sell to keep the dealership up and running.[/quote]

Did everyone get that same deal as you for $120.00 over invoice? or was that price posted for 30 days? Cause even as an employee you can not get a deal like that unless its posted for 30 days otherwise you broke scion rules.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2008Xb

Just a heads up there is no special fleet pricing for scions. The pure price is what it is. Yes dealers can sell below MSRP but if they do so it needs to be posted and they have to do it to all the inventory not just one car. I am a scion certified sells consultant and sold 10 1st gen xb's to one customer for his repair fleet he bought them all at once and there was no fleet discount its just the way scion does business, As a scion employee I was able to buy my 2008 Xb at $120.00 over invoice just a little more than $800.00 under MSRP. Most dealers charge full sticker due to the very little mark up. Most dealers need to average $1200.00 profit per car sell to keep the dealership up and running.
No discount is expected from purchasing from fleet, I was just reccomended to tell them what i wanted and have them get it for me vs dealing with a sales rep (which i have dealt with 6 now, and only expect 3 to call me back) I was told at all but 1 dealership that they would have to hope and trade to get the car i wanted. Only at one dealership (Thousand Oaks Scion/Toyota) I was told they could order the exact car i wanted and call me when its in. I was hoping I might also be able to do that with fleet.

The fear being if the dealer can get the base car i wanted, and charge for parts+install is what i hope to avoid. I can install most the accessories, its only the SNS and TRD wheels I need the car to come with when i buy it.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:51 PM
SL Member

If you are willing to fly to Seattle WA I can get the car for you....
Old 06-25-2007, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI, most Toyota dealers don't have a fleet department, but a few do.

The best thing to do is call and ask for the Scion mgr/champion. They can do what it is you ask.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionchampion
I am a scion certified sells consultant and sold 10 1st gen xb's to one customer for his repair fleet he bought them all at once and there was no fleet discount its just the way scion does business, As a scion employee I was able to buy my 2008 Xb at $120.00 over invoice just a little more than $800.00 under MSRP. Most dealers charge full sticker due to the very little mark up. Most dealers need to average $1200.00 profit per car sell to keep the dealership up and running.
Did everyone get that same deal as you for $120.00 over invoice? or was that price posted for 30 days? Cause even as an employee you can not get a deal like that unless its posted for 30 days otherwise you broke scion rules.[/quote]

I think you need to do some research on that one. As a signature dealer/ presidents award winner you get perks and that includes an employee discount on a scion but it is only for employees not family or friends.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I work for a company that produces a product that SET uses. I was able to get vendor pricing when I bought my 06.5.