My New 2011 - will I be happy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My New 2011 - will I be happy?

Hello all,
First post. I am a middle class mid forties male. I just bought an 2011, Elusive Blue Metallic, Auto, XB. The decision was between 2 cars: this one and the Honda fit. I know these 2 really are in slightly different classes. I was thinking economy on the fit (fit was slightly cheaper in price and insurance, better on gas). I was thinking image and ride more so with the XB. The wife really liked the XB and when she found out I was looking at the fit, well she had a fit. I told her the XB will cost more, she said, you would look ridiculous in a fit, especially since I am 6 foot 230#. I told her it would cost about $300 more per year to own the scion (gas + insurance). This amount really did not sound like much so in order to avoid divorce, I went with the scion. People at work are now laughing at me at why I am driving a "kid" car. I personally am happy with it now, it is very utility, very nice driving and has WAAAAY more power than the Fit. The visibility is not near as good as in the fit. The fit had really cheap seat foam and other very flimsy plastic pieces. Toyota seats blow honda away. The sound system in the Scion is really good for stock. I really like the overall room and ride that this car has. I am just getting hung up on what people will think on the road and how they will treat someone driving an XB. Don't forget I live in Texas..big trucks...rednecks. I guess my question (especially to middle aged purchasers), did you feel the same way initially and are you now happy with it?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I work around coal miners, and we joke, but most will admit they like mine. Stock, xB's are granny, but if you add some rims and the OEM spoiler, they look quite nice. Mine looks even better with tint and a billet grille.

Im a truck guy and I love my xB. Good power, good mileage, great on road trips and can hold 4 adults. I also considered the fit, and the redesign looks good, but I wanted more power and fun.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wish i can help, but i just dropped in to say congradulations on your new xB
Old 05-14-2010, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

you will be happy and actually fit the most common demographic of the car..Honda build quality is not what it once was but they still ask a premium for it
Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to the family, let the modding begin.

45 year old finance professional here, and I love mine. It's 2-1/2 years old with 62k miles, and it still turns heads because it has more personality than most cars out there.

Like elwaylite said, put on some nice looking wheels and it will change the whole look of the xB.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some'll like it, some'll dislike it, most won't care one way or the other. If you like the car, why care about the opinion of anyone empty headed enough to criticize? That just reflects on them, not you. Loads of people easily older than you love them (as do loads of people younger). Don't sweat it and congrats on your new ride !

PS. Oh yes, and welcome to the SL forum !

Last edited by TrevorS; 05-15-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

34 years old here and I've had my 2010 XB2 for about a month. Who cares what others think. If you like it and it gives you something positive to drive it/own it, rock on...........
Old 05-15-2010, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree and disagree with Cionide. It will look cleaner with rims but it will give the guys telling you its a kids car even more to talk about.
Sounds like you like it though nice purchase.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^Just depends on the wheels. Nothing to crazy or "tuner-boy-racer", something clean and understated maybe.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yepp. No 22's :D
Old 05-15-2010, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DaYnNiTe
I agree and disagree with Cionide. It will look cleaner with rims but it will give the guys telling you its a kids car even more to talk about.
Sounds like you like it though nice purchase.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I guess I am a little thin skinned and you are right...who cares what they think. After driving it 50 miles after work today...Im in love. This elusive blue color is awesome.

I want to go this weekend and put some wheels on it. I plan to keep the stock tires 16s. What 16" rim's would look good and not too "ghetto" or "bling" if you know what I mean. I welcome pics or links. I kinda like those "cross spoke" looking wheels in powder coated silver. I am kinda wheel stupid and don't want to buy the wrong ones.

Again thanks for the nice welcome!
Old 05-15-2010, 02:36 AM
SL Member

I'm 40 and I know most just don't get it. Everyone thinks it's a clown car until they go for a ride/drive, then they get it. And the Fit, just look at most of the goofballs driving those vs the younger/normal people driving an xB, 'nough said. Oh yeah, and congrats on the purchase!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Hello sir, there's a couple of links where you could browse through members' rides. 16"s are not very popular around here, since most of us will go to at least 17"s+
17" club
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...7s+club&page=2
and 18"s
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180896
pretty much whatever flows your boat but 16"s are way too small

my ex-wheels ;)
Name:  4501769300_ae8750e662.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  37.5 KB
but since you're not into big wheels, just consider this pic whoring!

so there you go. welcome on board lol
Old 05-15-2010, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.tiredealersites.com/konig...ails&wid=45762

Talking about the elusive blue color and what you're saying about rim size, i thoughy instantly think of these rims... ^^^^
But i'm not in my 40's, i'm one of those 18 year old teenagers that have a ricer in mind.
Just putting these out there.
Welcome!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

ricer.

lol jk
Old 05-15-2010, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I am 41 and also considered the honda fit initially. The xb blows the fit away. The fit is just too small and that 1.5 isn't very peppy. I love the fact everyone doesn't have an xb. If I see one more corolla or civic I'm gonna puke(and I own 2 corollas lol). Picked up my 2011 scm 2 weeks ago.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1GreeKtC
ricer.

lol jk
check those PM's
Old 05-15-2010, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi clifsmith and welcome.
You surely don't care what the rednecks think do you? I'm pretty familiar with your situation. Lived in DFW for 20+ years.

I have 10 years on you and have had my 08 xB 3 years (in a couple of weeks). Less than 30,000 miles on mine so obviously I don't travel as far to get to work as Cionide. If it matters, in contrast to Cionide's "bean-counter" status, I am in Quality for the major player in corporate jets. Point being, whatever your job or age, the xB is a really good car. Excellent bang for the buck.

I found that with most of the folks I work with that you just need to get them to sit in it or even go for a ride. Most are impressed with the space and find it fun. One guy I work with has a Roush 427 Mustang and he thinks my xB is pretty cool and a fun ride. I reciprocate.

My xB is the vehicle of choice for family trips. As you commented it is a very practical vehicle. Plenty of room for two adults and a teenager with a weeks worth of "stuff".

On the other hand, teenagers think it is pretty cool too. My 16 year old has pretty much confiscated my xB with the assistance of my insurance guy in the past 6 months. It was either let the kid drive my 08 xB (recommended by the insurance guy due to the insurance symbol being favorable) or my 07 V8 Tundra. Needless to say, I now rarely get to drive my xB.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by clifsmith
I want to go this weekend and put some wheels on it. I plan to keep the stock tires 16s. What 16" rim's would look good and not too "ghetto" or "bling" if you know what I mean. I welcome pics or links. I kinda like those "cross spoke" looking wheels in powder coated silver. I am kinda wheel stupid and don't want to buy the wrong ones.
There are lots of looks and choices, please don't run out and buy the first thing you see that you think you like. Take the time to make an informed decision for yourself, and you will be the happiest in the long run. I'll send you a PM with the most popular sites for wheels so you can get an idea of whats available.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Listen to CIONIDE!
He's out wheel and tire Guru!

Quick Reply: My New 2011 - will I be happy?