Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

My New 2011 - will I be happy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 49 (plus some shipping and handling) and I love my Box. Yes, there are lots of toys you can add onto your xB to make it your own without spending a ton of cash. Don't worry about what the other guys think of it (if it's negative). If they don't like it, they have two choices: not look at your ride, or pay for the upgrades that they like. I would love to put on the rear spoiler (cuts down on the dirty rear window, I think), but since I carry plywood and other long items on a roof rack, the spoiler would get damaged. So, I just worked on the sound system and put in a wood/aluminum cargo floor in the back. New LED interior lights are next (so I can see where the cup holders are at night).
Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

hahahaha +shipping and handling....
that's the funniest line to wake up to!!!

I actually didn't notice on the OP's post anything about caring what other people say so I didn't mention much.

Dood there are 21-25 year olds, like myself that drive this car and we don't give a sh*t....I actually enjoy hearing most of them calling it ugly!

Makes you realize that your car stands out hahah, I know I got issues. But on a serious note if this vehicle held your marriage together and got you some TLC in the process, then praise it ;)
There's always going to be people that are jealous of you out there.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

53 year old here and loving my XB. Most people that had made comments to me at first about it being a kids car has since stopped and now they usually are the first to ask.... What new mod's have you done to it now!

Enjoy your XB and make it yours. Modding it is the fun part, besides driving it! There are a lot of great DIY mod's here on ScionLife and a lot of knowledgeable people that can answer any question you can throw at them.

Welcome to our world!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks again folks. It is comforting hearing your similar experiences and how after time these folks were envious. Soon I am sure I will have to do the unspeakable and tell my wife...."honey you were right". Anyway looks like I have some decisions to make on wheels. I would go 17s but that means buying new tires and these are new that are on it. I think I can live with 16s. Tires will be cheaper too in the future. Thanks Cyanide for the great tips and pm. What do you think about these wheels. I like them and they are only $59 each at discount tire. I can paint over the "hot wheels" emblem.

Last edited by clifsmith; 05-15-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: add link
Old 05-15-2010, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome man! Cioinde is the truth. he won't steer you wrong. and honestly if they make fun of you its because they know their car has nooooo style. The fit imo should never be compared to the scion. There are soooo many mods you can do for your scion to give it your own style and flair. Honestly rims do change the whole car. Im getting some soon (have had an xb with some pretty sweet mods for 2 years). IF you need help with lighting, or just inexpensive mods in general. Im your man!
Old 05-15-2010, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by clifsmith
What do you think about these wheels. I like them and they are only $59 each at discount tire. I can paint over the "hot wheels" emblem.
Wheels are very personal, and you should get what you like, but you asked so here goes...
Not my cup-o-tea. IMO they look too busy with the combo of black paint and machined finish on the spokes, as well as the fake screws on the lip. It's just my personal feeling, but I won't own a one piece wheel with fake screws to try and make it look like a two/three piece wheel. Additionally, these wheels are quite heavy (acceleration and mpg will suffer).
Old 05-15-2010, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

after the warm welcome, prepare yourself for some honest criticism.
Those wheels are atrocious. By the way where do you reside? You should consider a set of new wheels and tires, that way you will have the option of running a set for the winter and another one for the summer.

Keep searching my friend..
Old 05-15-2010, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
^^Just depends on the wheels. Nothing to crazy or "tuner-boy-racer", something clean and understated maybe.
Maybe, but in all seriousness, he shouldn't buy rims or do anything else to the car just for the purpose of shutting some dumbass up! He should only do things like that if he really wants to in order to please himself. To hell with the idiots, it's his car, not theirs. Plenty of people stay with the OE rims and covers, they look fine!

OP Dude!

Don't do anything unless it's part of your personal vision for the car. Don't worry, the idiots out there will lose interest in no time flat ! Don't give them the satisfaction of caring about what they say, they don't deserve it!

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Wheels are very personal, and you should get what you like, but you asked so here goes...
Not my cup-o-tea. IMO they look too busy with the combo of black paint and machined finish on the spokes, as well as the fake screws on the lip. It's just my personal feeling, but I won't own a one piece wheel with fake screws to try and make it look like a two/three piece wheel. Additionally, these wheels are quite heavy (acceleration and mpg will suffer).
OP Dude!

Like Cionide says, rims are personal, and regardless of size (I stayed with 16" myself), you're going to be living with them for a long time. Take your time, identify all the rims that you think would look good, and then gradually work through them to narrow down your ultimate choice (LF doesn't provide that answer, you do). Both Tirerack and DiscountTireDirect allow you to display the rim on your car, use that feature -- it helps tremendously. Take your time with all mods, they're an expression of yourself, keep your integrity intact !
Old 05-16-2010, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
OP Dude!

Like Cionide says, rims are personal, and regardless of size (I stayed with 16" myself), you're going to be living with them for a long time. Take your time, identify all the rims that you think would look good, and then gradually work through them to narrow down your ultimate choice (LF doesn't provide that answer, you do). Both Tirerack and DiscountTireDirect allow you to display the rim on your car, use that feature -- it helps tremendously. Take your time with all mods, they're an expression of yourself, keep your integrity intact !
Ok. It is a done deal. I got them installed today. You guys may not like them but I really like them. I think they look good. Waaaaay better than the wheel covers it came with. I was not looking for anything fancy and was looking for budget wheels (clearance wheels at discount tire for $59 each) and I got them. $366 out the door installed with wheel locks, lifetime balance, etc. I would have paid double that for any other rim out there. Again, I like them regardless. One thing to note that this color "Elusive Blue Metallic", changes to a purplish in sunlight. Looks blue in shade and cloudcover. Interesting color.

Here is my ride:

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  013.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  69.1 KB

Name:  011.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  96.3 KB

Last edited by clifsmith; 05-16-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congratulations, the wheels do look good with that color.
Can't beat that deal either. BTW, Hot Wheels were made and branded for Discount Tire by KMC Wheels, so they have a brand name behind them.

When I originally googled Toyota Elusive Blue, it showed me a much lighter blue on a Rav4, and I thought those wheels would overpower the lighter color.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm surprised how good those wheels look on the car...

next step: lower it. I suggest Tanabe NF210 springs. Make the rear look a lot less like a pickup truck.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks great! This is all about making it yours!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

New xB is looking different. I dont know if I like the reflectors on the rear but the front looks good.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:55 AM
SL Member

i say u go get fatter, wider, beefy tires to it husky look.. ya dig? ;) congrats with the purchase and welcome to SL.. enjoy the ride as we all know u would.. ;)

oh also, i think 5 spokes gun metal rims would look bad ___ on ur car.. or any gun metal rims i think would look bad ___! hehe..

Last edited by tamago'Chi; 05-16-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reminds me of the look of a flint mica xB1 I saw in a photo awhile back. It was also lowered, but the wheels looked excellent with the dark shade of paint. Yours also play nicely with the brake rotors and calipers -- good job !
Old 05-16-2010, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, I just noticed that you got your car in San Antonio. :o

Anyway, nice car. I like that color...wonder if they have it for the tC
Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by clifsmith
Hello all,
First post. I am a middle class mid forties male. I just bought an 2011, Elusive Blue Metallic, Auto, XB. The decision was between 2 cars: this one and the Honda fit. I know these 2 really are in slightly different classes. I was thinking economy on the fit (fit was slightly cheaper in price and insurance, better on gas). I was thinking image and ride more so with the XB. The wife really liked the XB and when she found out I was looking at the fit, well she had a fit. I told her the XB will cost more, she said, you would look ridiculous in a fit, especially since I am 6 foot 230#. I told her it would cost about $300 more per year to own the scion (gas + insurance). This amount really did not sound like much so in order to avoid divorce, I went with the scion. People at work are now laughing at me at why I am driving a "kid" car. I personally am happy with it now, it is very utility, very nice driving and has WAAAAY more power than the Fit. The visibility is not near as good as in the fit. The fit had really cheap seat foam and other very flimsy plastic pieces. Toyota seats blow honda away. The sound system in the Scion is really good for stock. I really like the overall room and ride that this car has. I am just getting hung up on what people will think on the road and how they will treat someone driving an XB. Don't forget I live in Texas..big trucks...rednecks. I guess my question (especially to middle aged purchasers), did you feel the same way initially and are you now happy with it?
When I got my 2008 xb I compared it to the fit (and element), and although the basic basic fit is a tiny bit cheaper, if you compare with specs the XB is actually way cheaper than the fit.

Screw the guys at work. in both good and bad the xb2 have a much more mature audience than the xb1.

I ended up getting the 2008...and now I got the 2011...yes you'll be happy, especially when you hook up your memory stick with mp3's on it...

I can fit my 9'6'' stand up paddle board in it....today I had 4 kiteboards including a foil board, 3 kites, volleyball net, cooler and 2 beach chairs + a ton of random stuff in addition to the wife and me...try that in the fit... :-)

Btw nice elusive blue...I got the black...mostly because they didn't have the elusive blue...
Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will most likely love your Xb, just stay in the fast lane and avoid following big trucks,on long trips your front wind shield is a major target for flying rocks. Mine was busted at 14,000 miles while following a line of trucks in the slow lane. The normal $500 insurance deductible will get you !! Suggest $0 deductible on the Xb.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Matt9876
You will most likely love your Xb, just stay in the fast lane and avoid following big trucks,on long trips your front wind shield is a major target for flying rocks. Mine was busted at 14,000 miles while following a line of trucks in the slow lane. The normal $500 insurance deductible will get you !! Suggest $0 deductible on the Xb.
FYI -- It doesn't require a truck to spit a stone and damage your windshield, cars can do that just fine ! (Even my bicycle can spit a stone.) The only protection is distance, as in keep it.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Liking it more and more and more.........

Quick Reply: My New 2011 - will I be happy?