Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

My New 2011 - will I be happy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Wheels are very personal, and you should get what you like, but you asked so here goes...
Not my cup-o-tea. IMO they look too busy with the combo of black paint and machined finish on the spokes, as well as the fake screws on the lip. It's just my personal feeling, but I won't own a one piece wheel with fake screws to try and make it look like a two/three piece wheel. Additionally, these wheels are quite heavy (acceleration and mpg will suffer).
Cionide,
Do have any idea what my wheels would weigh? I thought the steel wheels were heavy. After I got back from discount tire, I found a sticker on my door jamb area that said: "warning: added accessories have reduced the carrying capacity by 12 pounds". I suspected discount tire added that as required or something. That would mean the new rims are 3 pounds heavier than the stock ones? I thought the sticker add was comical in that 12 pounds is so insignificant. Anyway would like to know your thoughts on my wheel weight. I could not find any weights on the boxes they came in nor on the internet.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by clifsmith
Cionide,
Do have any idea what my wheels would weigh? I thought the steel wheels were heavy. After I got back from discount tire, I found a sticker on my door jamb area that said: "warning: added accessories have reduced the carrying capacity by 12 pounds". I suspected discount tire added that as required or something. That would mean the new rims are 3 pounds heavier than the stock ones?
Perhaps I'm missing something, but since the wheels are unsprung weight, I'm having trouble imagining why they would reduce the load carrying capacity. I'd be inclined to check with Discount Tire for an explanation.

To learn the actual rim weight, I'd check with the manufacturer. Steelies can be heavier or lighter than same diameter alloys, it depends on the alloy and the design. Alloy rims are typically deeper than same diameter OE steel and in order to have the desired look may have a lot more metal. Of course, if the rim is taller, then that's yet more weight, typically more in total wheel weight than staying with an OE radius tire.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cionide,
Do you have any idea what my wheels would weigh?
Sorry clif, but I have no idea. I would expect Discount Tire could tell you, but not sure since it's now a discontinued wheel.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cionide,
Do have any idea what my wheels would weigh? I thought the steel wheels were heavy. After I got back from discount tire, I found a sticker on my door jamb area that said: "warning: added accessories have reduced the carrying capacity by 12 pounds". I suspected discount tire added that as required or something. That would mean the new rims are 3 pounds heavier than the stock ones? I thought the sticker add was comical in that 12 pounds is so insignificant. Anyway would like to know your thoughts on my wheel weight. I could not find any weights on the boxes they came in nor on the internet.
That sticker was put on at the factory. I see them on the Tundras all the time. Not sure exactly what accessory is added to reduce carrying capacity on the xB. I'll take a look on my xB to see if I have a sticker.

Oh, nice wheels by the way. I think the Hot Wheels center cap is cool, but we grew up in the Hot Wheels era. Remember Johnny Lightning! lol

Edit: Yep, I have a sticker too. My load carrying capacity has been reduced by 8lbs. You know what that means...I can carry 4lbs. more than you!! WOOOHOOO!!
Thats got to be good for at least a 6 pack! lmao

Last edited by RicRat; 05-27-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RicRat
That sticker was put on at the factory. I see them on the Tundras all the time. Not sure exactly what accessory is added to reduce carrying capacity on the xB. I'll take a look on my xB to see if I have a sticker.

Oh, nice wheels by the way. I think the Hot Wheels center cap is cool, but we grew up in the Hot Wheels era. Remember Johnny Lightning! lol

Edit: Yep, I have a sticker too. My load carrying capacity has been reduced by 8lbs. You know what that means...I can carry 4lbs. more than you!! WOOOHOOO!!
Thats got to be good for at least a 6 pack! lmao
Ok. So that had nothing to do with my wheel installation. That makes more sense. Maybe the floormats weigh 12#s? That is the only option on my car. Still funny they put that on. 6 pack or 1/2 gallon of Jack!

Johnny lightning!!! How funny. I see that we are both 46, live in SA, and both new owners of 2011s. What a coincidence.

I had some reservations with buying the XB with the stigma of being a "kids car", but I am over that and enjoying it more and more every day. Love the space, utility, and looks!. The only negative I have is that when I am at a traffic signal, I cant see the light due to the top roof/windsheild line blocking it. I am too tall. thanks for your feedback.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok. So that had nothing to do with my wheel installation. That makes more sense. Maybe the floormats weigh 12#s? That is the only option on my car. Still funny they put that on. 6 pack or 1/2 gallon of Jack!

Johnny lightning!!! How funny. I see that we are both 46, live in SA, and both new owners of 2011s. What a coincidence.

I had some reservations with buying the XB with the stigma of being a "kids car", but I am over that and enjoying it more and more every day. Love the space, utility, and looks!. The only negative I have is that when I am at a traffic signal, I cant see the light due to the top roof/windsheild line blocking it. I am too tall. thanks for your feedback.
Whoa, I'm 6'3"! This is getting scary!!
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 PM

While test driving the XB, my salesman told me the average age for XB2 buyers is 41. I happen to fit Scion's exact demographic. The only reason I struggled a tad with my purchase is that I'll be using the XB to tote real estate clients in. A long time ago, somebody told all agents to buy Cadillac's or Lexus sedans. I simply did not want a sedan and can not justify a SUV. I thought the XB would be good to do a full body wrap on to advertise my company, and that became a primary motivation. But when I saw how big the back seat is and realized the ingress / egress is superior to most vehicles, it was a done deal. Unconventional for real estate? Yes. Memorable? Definitely! I love the car and feel I made the perfect decision.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your clients will love the space, and it doesn't say "I'm about to make the same huge commission off of you that I have made off of my previous clients."

Great pick!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Your clients will love the space, and it doesn't say "I'm about to make the same huge commission off of you that I have made off of my previous clients."

Great pick!

LOL! Aint that the truth! That is the first thing I think of when I see agents rolling around in Lexus and Mercedes.