Which new daily driver? 2009 Honda Fit vs. 2009 Scion xB

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Which new daily driver? 2009 Honda Fit vs. 2009 Scion xB

Hi all!

My name is Michael and I live in Long Beach, CA. I have been seriously considering getting a new daily driver and these are my needs/wants:

Less than $20K new
4 doors
Automatic transmission
Excellent fuel economy, and requires regular fuel only
Lots of cargo room and utility
Low maintenance costs
High reliability
Factory iPod support & navigation

I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’ve narrowed it down to these two vehicles:

2009 Honda Fit Sport w/ Nav

2009 Scion xB w/ Nav

I’ll want to purchase within this year to take advantage of the Obama’s new state tax deduction. I also plan to keep the car for many years. I’m not going to be racing around, I tend to drive pretty relaxed and laid back. No track days either, LOL. Not really into modding anymore, so it’ll probably stay stock for the most part. Basically just need a versatile commuter that’ll last until Armageddon ;)

I used to have a 2006 Scion xB and it was a great daily commuter. But due to some unforeseen circumstances, I had to sell it.

I recently went to a local Scion dealer to check out the 2009 (2nd generation) Scion xB and it was pretty nice. Has the bigger motor (2.4L) and had a lot of neat features standard. It was basically an improved version of my 1st generation xB. The only gripes I’ve been reading about is the so-so fuel economy (mid-20’s average)

I also have been researching the newly redesigned 2009 Honda Fit. To be honest, I didn’t even consider this car at first because I didn’t really know much about it before I started researching. It sounds pretty promising though. It has amazing cargo space for such a small looking car, and has all kinds of rear seat configurations to accommodate various things, very versatile. Also gets better gas mileage than the xB, which is not a surprise as the Honda has a 1.5L motor. I’ve been reading of people getting close to 40mpg on this thing. I have not actually test driven the Fit, but I do see them around the streets of SoCal, and they look pretty slick. I still have to go a dealer to check it out inside and for an actual test drive.

What do you guys think? Any helpful input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

myke
Old 07-01-2009, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I chose the XB because it made the perfect car for commuting and hauling the family around to soccer, basketball, swimming etc during the weekends. However, if I was single, I'd get the Honda Fit because it gets better gas mileage and still has plenty of room. Stock for stock, I'd also get the Fit because the XB2 just looks weird without a drop and lip kit IMO.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by D_Unit
I chose the XB because it made the perfect car for commuting and hauling the family around to soccer, basketball, swimming etc during the weekends. However, if I was single, I'd get the Honda Fit because it gets better gas mileage and still has plenty of room. Stock for stock, I'd also get the Fit because the XB2 just looks weird without a drop and lip kit IMO.
I'm a single guy and that's why I've been leaning towards the Honda Fit lately.

myke
Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I commonly get 30mpg on the highway, hope this helps. I'm sure the FIT is better at mpg's. If that's one of your main factors go with the FIT. I think the XB looks cooler. Besides it also has more power and size.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get a solid 22.5 mpg with mixed city/highway if this info helps. I have an automatic and 18" rims and am pretty much stock.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

They are two totally different vehicles. I say Fit based on what you said there.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

#1 your not gonna get an honest Unbiased opinion on scionlife, lol

#2 i think your better off comparing the Fit to the XD, the XD is a little smaller then the XB, but has much better fuel economy, and since you say you dont drive like a douche bag, then it would be perfect!

also the XD comes with tons more standard then the Fit!

but if you must have the extra room, and the extra power from the motor, the XB is a great car!

but seriously, look into getting an XD!
Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

get a FIT
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chicotunner07
#1 your not gonna get an honest Unbiased opinion on scionlife, lol

#2 i think your better off comparing the Fit to the XD, the XD is a little smaller then the XB, but has much better fuel economy, and since you say you dont drive like a douche bag, then it would be perfect!

also the XD comes with tons more standard then the Fit!

but if you must have the extra room, and the extra power from the motor, the XB is a great car!

but seriously, look into getting an XD!
I looked at the xD already, and don't really like it as much as the Fit/xB

myke
Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Xb more cargo room... Fit better MPG. The rest both have so which do you like driving the best and whats more important room or MPG.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seeing how some of your wants are room space and the need for an automatic transmission I'd opt for the xB. I really like the fit but space was also a big concern for us which made the xB a shoe in. Driving a manual tranny on the Fit is alot more fun then the xB's manual.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

fit

btw is your name really myke or do you just spell it that way cus its cooler then mike?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO your comparing apples to oranges and need a better comparison.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your small & have smaller transportation needs, get the Fit.

If you're large or have larger transportation needs, get the xB.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
If your small & have smaller transportation needs, get the Fit.

If you're large or have larger transportation needs, get the xB.
Well, I'm not exactly small. I'm 6'0" 180lbs.

My transportation needs aren't that big. I'm a single guy, no kids. But it's nice to have the cargo room when I do need it.

myke
Old 07-02-2009, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

i think you should get the xb, first of all you are a big guy, and big guys in small cars is just funny IMO

also, since you drive conservatively, i think the MPG on the XB will be lots better then most, but the power will be there if you ever need it!

the only reason i see for getting a fit over the xb is MPG, and price difference, but it sounds like the XB would better suit your needs
Old 07-02-2009, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

without any mods, I'd get the fit. I think it looks better out of the box than the xB2. You also might want to listen to both NAV's stereo function. The (original version) Scion Nav system sounds pretty crappy with the standard speakers. It's possible to make it sound good but you'd need new speakers, amp, etc. I have no idea how the FIT's stereo sounds but it can't be any worse than the xB2's.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
without any mods, I'd get the fit. I think it looks better out of the box than the xB2. You also might want to listen to both NAV's stereo function. The (original version) Scion Nav system sounds pretty crappy with the standard speakers. It's possible to make it sound good but you'd need new speakers, amp, etc. I have no idea how the FIT's stereo sounds but it can't be any worse than the xB2's.
Is it true with the Scion Nav system, that you can't use the touchscreen to change the artist/playlist while the car is in motion?

myke
Old 07-02-2009, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IBJanky
Is it true with the Scion Nav system, that you can't use the touchscreen to change the artist/playlist while the car is in motion?

myke
That is true but you can wire a bypass switch so that you can use the iPod, enter a destination, or watch a DVD (passengers only... ). It's a simple procedure that requires grounding one wire (parking brake), clipping another, and installing a switch into a 3rd one.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IBJanky

myke
That is true but you can wire a bypass switch so that you can use the iPod, enter a destination, or watch a DVD (passengers only... ). It's a simple procedure that requires grounding one wire (parking brake), clipping another, and installing a switch into a 3rd one.
I know you can't use a DVD or change destinations, but I change music stuff via my Ipod all the time.

Quick Reply: Which new daily driver? 2009 Honda Fit vs. 2009 Scion xB