Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Not happy with MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

I am surprised xB2's get only mediocre gas mileage. I would figure with the roundness of the vehicle it would be fairly aerodynamic.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Big_Bird
I am surprised xB2's get only mediocre gas mileage. I would figure with the roundness of the vehicle it would be fairly aerodynamic.
really? i always thought the xbox2 had the aerodynamics of a parachute. and i was actually surprised to get 22-24 mpg..
Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

It's very round and I think it's pretty sleek. I figured that would help air flow over and around the car rather than in to it. Whenever I drive my mom's xB2 I feel very little resistance, it amazes me really, especially compared to my xB. I guess the weight of the xB2 might be a factor here.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:13 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

It weighs 3000 lbs with a very large 4 cylinder, I knew not to expect corolla gas mileage when I bought mine. The trick to getting good mpg with the xb2 is to keep it at 60 or lower. Toyota should have added a tall 6th gear to the 5 speed and a 5th gear to the auto for better gas mileage.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive about 50% highway and 50% surface streets, I average around 26-29 mpg, depends on how heavy my foot is. On the highway I usually drive about 75.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i get the gas milage i get but i go 70-90 all day.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I normally get easily over 300 miles per tank with hand calculated mpg numbers reliably 26 or above with zero highway miles (lot's of stop and go). I thiink a lot depends on your driving habits -- I get good gas mileage on my Eclipse GSX too !
Old 06-22-2010, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i average 18
Old 06-22-2010, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Two problems I see: shape and speed. Shape: the xB's big front end is not very aerodynamic, despite being rounded over on the edges. And the flat rear is a major source of air turbulence and is creating a lot of drag. Spoilers help, but not enough to overcome the basic shape. Speed: at 70mph the air doesn't have enough time to flow over the car and builds up resistance, making the engine work harder. You'd assume that driving faster means you'll get there sooner, and use less gas, but sadly, the opposite is true. On balance (time vs. mpg), a measly 45 gets the best mileage. Add all that, plus the bigger engine and your hills, your mileage will suffer. At least you don't live in Hawaii, where I'm paying $3.30/gal.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The drag efficency of our cars are actually very very low. I believe its .032. Correct me if I am wrong
Old 06-22-2010, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Avewrage over a full year is at 24.8 i get around 31 on nothing but flat highways at around 71 mph. Octain has never changed the mpg for me. Not sure if you work the numbers that you gain anything from spending so much more for higher octain, just to squeeze 1 or 2 mpg out of it if any at all. Tire pressure can help too, don't forget the tire pressure. Low pressure = softer ride, less mpg. CAI can also cause less mpg sometimes. That has been the case on 2 out of 3 vehicles I have. I really think it all comes down to your right foot!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UGH....filled up today...now its 23.5. When if filled today up I put 93 octane just to see if it makes a diff. I will report back the mpgs on this tank.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you buy a high octane gasoline for your car because you want to improve its performance? If so, you should note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner’s manual.
http://www.handymanusa.com/articles/octane.html

http://www.cargather.com/engineering...cal-00952.html

My Xb gets bland mileage as well...my solution is to get a car I really want next year instead of just keeping something I THOUGHT might be "good on gas" because it has a 4 cyl.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This summer my mileage has tanked... Last summer, I was averaging 28-32 all the time!

Now, my commute is very short (<5 miles) and the car does not warm up... I went from about 75/25 (hwy/city) to around 40/60 if I had to guess, dropping my mileage to 24-26... It sucks, but not much you can do.

Once my internship ends it should go back up with more highway driving again!

My best was 35mpg (calculated, not displayed... that was 37.1) but it was all freeway...
Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That quote is incorrect. Shell Vpower and the 93 Chevron/Texaco carries a higher dose of detergent, 5 times the mandatory in the Vpower, therefore the cleaning ability is greater. I run Vpower in my Scion because it requires it now, but I've run it when it did not. IMO, for cars I plan to keep a long time, the added detergency for a little more a gallon is worth it. Plus, the Shell Amine (Nitrogen) detergent is one of the best right now.

I also run a upper cylinder lubricant in each tank, because these newer fuels have lost some of their lubricity.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEoB5...layer_embedded
Old 06-23-2010, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a beaten horse. Do a little research, and you'll find that, yes, all base gas in an area is the same. However, when a truck is fueled, for a particular name brand, the additional additives are put in, like Techron (PEA) or Shell Nitrogen (Amines). If you buy from the local T&A Travel Center, you get the base gas with the minimum Federal mandated detergent, which is not bad. If you go to Shell, Texaco or Chevron, you get the base gas PLUS their additives/xtra detegents. Article is slightly incorrect, so you need to do a little more research and stay off youtube and Wikipedia...
Old 06-23-2010, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, my econobox isn't good enough for anything other than gas from the cheapest station. But, I can see why you care though since you're modding yours.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oreoremix42
The drag efficency of our cars are actually very very low. I believe its .032. Correct me if I am wrong
yes you are right .32 is the drag coefficient per specs, I looked at other cars that had that same drag coefficient and they were much lower profile and sleeker. I find that xB coefficient hard to digest when compared to those. Not sure what wind tunnel they used. Probably the same facility that came up with the 22 city and 28 hwy.

REGARDING ETHANOL - This is the biggest rippoff in america. Ethanol production is a joke. My steaks cost more...damn it. The corn used to produce ethanol drove cattle feed prices big time. Producing Ethanol is not as green as people think. It takes lots of fertilizer, water, and energy to produce it. now it is reducing my mpgs AND making my ribeyes cost more.

THIS IS MY LAST INTERNAL COMBUSTION CAR - yes this scion is it. I will buy electric next time. I was going to hold out for later in the year for the chevy volt, but cost is too high. I will wait for the costs to stabilize in 4 years or so. Also, there will be more infrastructure, charging stations, etc. Mark my words, in a decade the majority of cars on the road will be electric.

Last edited by clifsmith; 06-23-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by elwaylite
I'd recommend the OP not buy any perf part hoping it will increase MPG's.
I agree with this. Sometimes performance parts can make it easier to achieve higher MPG, however, people typically look for higher performance when they add performance parts and instead of being lighter on the throttle, they end up heavier .

Quick Reply: Not happy with MPGs