Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Not happy with MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres what i can provide for you guys.

Strup Header/ catback exhaust./ tenzo intake. Unichip set to 87 octane.

I average about 260-275 miles per trip i live in a very hilly area in upstate ny. so i average about 22-24 mpg. and thats when i spend most days just crusing around lotsof stop n go. but sometimes i want to just Floor that sucker and i do. In the summer i could do 280 easy on the summer fuel gas. even with 18" tires n rims. the winter blend sucks. so im going to try 89 octane and see if that helps better. well report back next week.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay I gassed up and headed out to the freeway. Once up to speed, I set the CC at 65 mph and then reset my average mpg on the dash. After a few moments, 28.3 popped up and then i drove for about 6 miles. There were some slight hills and by the time i exited off, it had dropped to 27.5. This actually made me feel pretty good like its all in my head. Looping back through town and hitting some lights, I noted how quickly it dropped to 23.0. From this point on, i really babied it at every acceleration and tried to keep it from dropping any more. What I found was that I could do it, but people gave me really bad looks as they would have to whip around me because I was accelerating so slow (plus my wife was like "what are you doing?!?"). After driving back through town, I was down to 22.5 when i pulled into my driveway. I'm starting to think this winter blend is just crushing my average as i drive through town. I'm hoping this summer blend is amazing.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Winter blend will crush your soul
Old 01-03-2011, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This site leads me to believe I am on the low side consistently.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.d...074&details=on
Old 01-04-2011, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe our tires need to be balanced???

I'm grasping for straws here.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
Maybe our tires need to be balanced???

I'm grasping for straws here.
Yeah that's grasping alright. I'd say if it were that then you would know it by feeling it in the car.

I'm down to:
clogged injector (though its not idling rough or missing)
winter blend fuel (likely)
ecu issue (unlikely)
a faulty sensor which is causing a too rich or lean fuel condition though i am not getting any idiot lights.
timing belt could be stretched causing a retarding of the timing resulting in loss of power and fuel economy

Do you ever notice a strong smell of gas in you exhaust?

Last edited by rjjone2; 01-04-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have any strong smell of gas in my exhaust (that just sounds funny, by the way).
Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update, It has been about 6 months since I originally posted. My mileage really has not changed that much. I have found that the MPG gauge on the dash is about +2 mpg over. My average over the last 6 months has been a consistent 25mpg. 80% highway. I calculate my mileage the old fashioned way # of miles since last fill up / # of gallons to fill up. I did an all highway trip and kept it around 70 and got 26.5, so really can't complain too much since that is pretty darn close to the EPA rated mpg. I really love my 2011 box but still always hope for better gas mileage. I really think that epa estimates may be done with non-ethanol blend fuel? What I don't understand is how can they squeeze 33 mpg out of a 300hp V6 in the Ford Mustang and the box can't get 30. I think the technology is there, but just not part of the 2.4 design.

Do any of you have any suggestions for aftermarket add-ons that will improve mileage? (cold intake, different air filter, etc.)?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2010 xB / Automatic / TRD CAI / 19" TRD Wheels

My daily commute (M-F) is about 3.5 miles total... city driving.

*My average driving habits are 90% city, 10% highway.
*Never go faster than 75mph when on freeway.
*When accelerating, I keep it under 2000RPM's.

Last edited by ZombiePunk; 01-25-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZombiePunk
2010 xB / Automatic / TRD CAI / 19" TRD Wheels

My daily commute (M-F) is about 3.5 miles total... city driving.

*My average driving habits are 90% city, 10% highway.
*Never go faster than 75mph when on freeway.
*When accelerating, I keep it under 2000RPM's.

Sooo...are you okay with this?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by clifsmith
Do any of you have any suggestions for aftermarket add-ons that will improve mileage? (cold intake, different air filter, etc.)?

Any or all of those plus nitro fill in tires help keep tire pressure just right. Also less weight in car will help so remove anything you don't need or want in the car. I also believe and have heard that cutting the muffler and cat off will help too but then if you're in to the whole 'Save the Planet' it's pointless. You may want to try full synthetic oil and filter (mobile1 or even better but more money Royal Purple). In fact there are many test that say changing all fluids in the car to royal purple will give you better gas mileage and more power (blinker fluid not included in that one).

Biggest thing I find is when stopped at lights and signs, take off nice and slow like an old person (most) and that helps a lot.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
You may want to try full synthetic oil and filter (mobile1 or even better but more money Royal Purple)
The dealer recommended this for me. So I made the switch. I'll report back on if it made a difference or not.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rjjone2
The dealer recommended this for me. So I made the switch. I'll report back on if it made a difference or not.
I've also heard the 0w20 is supposed to be better but I've never used it.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
I've also heard the 0w20 is supposed to be better but I've never used it.

I only run mobile 1 0-30 or 0-20 in my cars...made a fair difference in past cars, haven't had to change the oil in the box yet.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol this thread is hillarious to me im lucky to get over 20mpg in my 350z and i still dont care about mpg in it but when i drove my scion MPG was the last thing i thought about and here is a thread about it lol
Old 01-31-2011, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by odus
lol this thread is hillarious to me im lucky to get over 20mpg in my 350z and i still dont care about mpg in it but when i drove my scion MPG was the last thing i thought about and here is a thread about it lol
Guess its nice to have money to burn. I'm actually on a budget so when I notice that I'm having to put more and more into my car then I write in a thread about it to see if there's an issue. lol
Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
I only run mobile 1 0-30 or 0-20 in my cars...made a fair difference in past cars, haven't had to change the oil in the box yet.
Maybe a SMALL difference. Keep in mind when the vehicle is fully warmed up, that 0w-20/30 is going to be just as thick as a 5w-20/30. 0w is good for extreme cold weather start up.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

not that i have money to burn im sure some people have way more expensive scions than my z i just bought a sports car so no point in worrying about it. but when i had the scion it really was my last thought i think my tc had the best MPG out of all my cars u might wanna try upgrading your oem fliter to a K&N heard great things about them.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:53 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by rjjone2
Guess its nice to have money to burn. I'm actually on a budget so when I notice that I'm having to put more and more into my car then I write in a thread about it to see if there's an issue. lol
Trade it in for a Corolla S or xD. I drove the Corolla S while having warranty repairs done and it was GREAT on gas. The main reason why I would never get one is because it was down right scary to merge into traffic.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Trade it in for a Corolla S or xD. I drove the Corolla S while having warranty repairs done and it was GREAT on gas. The main reason why I would never get one is because it was down right scary to merge into traffic.
Truth, my fiance's 10' corolla s is rated for 30mpg, and get's just about that...when I'm driving it.

I have no idea how much mpgs it's doing now with her behind the wheel though. Nothing but rushing and no patience with that girl.

Quick Reply: Not happy with MPGs