Not happy with MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rjjone2
Sooo...are you okay with this?
I absolutely HATE it. I just don't understand why I get such crappy mileage. I'd totally understand if I "hot-rodded" around town all the time and constantly drove like a maniac, but I don't.

Makes NO sense to me what so ever.

Dealer can't offer any help either... says everything checks out fine and that maybe I'm just an "aggressive driver" and that the posted MPG's on the window sticker are just best case scenarios.

LoL
Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by odus
not that i have money to burn im sure some people have way more expensive scions than my z i just bought a sports car so no point in worrying about it. but when i had the scion it really was my last thought i think my tc had the best MPG out of all my cars u might wanna try upgrading your oem fliter to a K&N heard great things about them.
True about the tC between my wife and I we've had 3 tCs (2 sticks and 1 auto) and 1 xBGen2 auto. The tCs, auto or not always got great mileage for what I expected 24 to 34mpg. Now this is based off of 1 tc that was turbo which on the highway trips would push out 34mpg (I F-ing loved that) and the NAs got 29-32mpg on the highway depending on the way we drove or what weight and size rims and tires were on (along with speed, weather, etc..). We would see about 24-30mpg city. The 30mpg city was with the stick and babying it.

Now our xb even being back on the stock rims and tires but lower we see 21-24mpg city and about 23-28 highway but mostly around 21/22mpg city and 24/25mpg highway. We have seen 18mpg a tank or two. Oh and we have dual exhaust for no other reason then it flows better with the car and thats what I'm about.

Just remember people it is more aerodynamic then gen1 xbs but it's still a box. I love having that blank box of a canvas to do my art on (art=modding) so I'll settle with the crappy mileage... for now.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rjjone2
The dealer recommended this for me. So I made the switch. I'll report back on if it made a difference or not.
Did not make any difference at all.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:22 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Has anyone read their window sticker? If not this it was it says:

22 City MPG / 28 Highway MPG

"Actual Mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits, and vehicle's condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between 18 and 26 mpg in the city and between 23 and 33 mpg on the highway."

If this is the case, then anyone getting low 20s hwy mpg is considered "normal"
Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Has anyone read their window sticker?
27 million American adults are functionally illiterate, and 45 million more are only marginally literate.

The source:
http://donpotter.net/PDF/Illiteracy%20in%20America.pdf

That being said, most have probably not read their window sticker.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
If this is the case, then anyone getting low 20s hwy mpg is considered "normal"
This doesn't make me feel any better though. When I am babying it and getting 16 city, 23 highway and a guy in town with the same RS as mine is getting 29. This leads me to believe it is "vehicle condition" ie something is not functioning right.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am still looking for some mods or tweaks to squeeze out a couple MPGs. I have read on this site that most doing a CAI actually get less. I thought about K&N filter and maybe some mods to the existing air box?? I have seen that "chip" on ebay that claims to get better mpgs by advancing the timing?? Any kind of emissions crap I can take off to help it out? Anything?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 PM
SKI
SL Member

I get any where 24.5 to 20 mpg, 24.5 is only when i am mostly in the city and i am driving quick. From day one i have put nothing but premium in the gas tank and i bought it brand new. Choose your gas wisely or run some star-tron every couple of tanks. I work in auto parts, Gas Octane makes a huge difference. Here in NC we still have a few places that don't do ethanol in there mid and high test.

2010 RS 7.0 XB
ALL STOCK
Old 02-17-2011, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's an interesting situation:

I used to have Eibach Sportlines, which gives me about a 2" drop all around.

I swapped springs for Tanabe NF210's, which raised the car a bit, making my drop around 1" all the way around (the rear is 1.7" from stock). Not only is my ride more comfortable, but get this:

My MPG increased. Now, I'm not sure why this happened, but normally I would get about 240 miles or so per tank with about 80% city/20% hwy. Now my trip computer is showing much better mileage. Much, much better mileage. I'm riding it out now to see what I'm going to get, then I'm going to reset the ECU and record any changes.

I'm thinking because I have better spring rate, I'm getting improved fuel economy. I'll re-post with an update later.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Quick question that is somewhat related, how many gallons is left as soon as the light goes on. I can tell on my tC real easy when I'm about to sputter but the xB seems hard to figure out for me anyway.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
Quick question that is somewhat related, how many gallons is left as soon as the light goes on.
About 3 gallons.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:22 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
About 3 gallons.
I've filled amost 4 gallons a few times. It goes off way too early IMO but I guess that is a good thing...
Old 02-17-2011, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok cool. It's just that on long trips it's a pain to have to stop every 240+/- miles to fill up. More so when you're riding with some tCs to a show and they can go 300-400 depending on driving condition's on the highway.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 AM

I test drove a Cube before purchasing my XB and the overall experience wasn't close. The Scion may not get 30 mpg, but the ride and added power are a good trade off, if you ask me.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Maryland
I test drove a Cube before purchasing my XB and the overall experience wasn't close. The Scion may not get 30 mpg, but the ride and added power are a good trade off, if you ask me.
I agree 100%. The xB does get decent gas mileage and pales horribly in comparison to other cars like the Cube, Soul, and Fit, but honestly, the ride is tremendous in the xB. Not to mention the extra horsepower really helps out a lot on merging in the highway.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

The wife's RS7 auto gets an average of 24.5 with mixed driving...Only mods are 18 inch Ford Flex rims...The rims by themselves weigh 26 pounds a piece (without tire) so they are not light...
Old 02-21-2011, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you run the defogger alot? defog turns the AC on. also maxing the heat level will trip the AC on. just some things to think about
Old 02-21-2011, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

@ Pyroman - I would only be inclined to say that the Sportlines are a much lower drop which would place the cv joint bearings further into the sockets at a lower resting point which could add drivetrain resistance? Otherwise, there isn't much logic in that. Maybe a lower car and having less air going under the car changes the overall Coefficient? Weird man, just weird!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tealtoaster
@ Pyroman - I would only be inclined to say that the Sportlines are a much lower drop which would place the cv joint bearings further into the sockets at a lower resting point which could add drivetrain resistance? Otherwise, there isn't much logic in that. Maybe a lower car and having less air going under the car changes the overall Coefficient? Weird man, just weird!
I know, it's the weirdest thing! But anyway, underneath the car is always a death trap for air flowing under it because it's not a flat surface. There's way too much underhand such as the exhaust piping. So it's not a flat surface that lets air flow underneath unobstructed.

But maybe my ECU is just relearning after a suspension change. I'm waiting to deplete this tank and then when I refill again and drive it, I might be able to generate a good understanding, but basically I seem to be looking at anywhere from 3-4 mpg gained after raising my car.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone thought(don't even know if there's one out there) to get a programmer to help with mpg? I know some companies have programs to change a bunch of sh*t and fuel economy is one of them. I would look into it if there was one out there. I avg about 26-28 with the back full of detailing equipment/products. Not bad really plus almost all my driving is on hwy. Lowered bit stock wheels tires

Quick Reply: Not happy with MPGs