Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Options, dealer or do it myself install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:35 PM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Options, dealer or do it myself install?

My new xb will be at my dealer in the next few weeks. I got prices for all the options
I wanted from Sparks Toyota vrs my local dealer. Sparks is $1,200.00 cheaper on parts. Wow .. My local MN dealer won't budge on parts prices. He wants $200-$300 for the labor, which is cheap. I guess they plan on making the money on parts plus a little on labor.

Here's a list of options, I may not get them all at the same time. I know, it's a long list. I can do most of the installs myself plus I have a few friends who would charge me next to nothing to do the TRD stuff, etc. Are the installs pretty straight forward, like wiring is already there, fog lights wiring, Navi wiring,etc just just plug and play? Do you need a steering wheel puller to change the steering wheel? Thinking about just buying the car and installing all the options myself to save the money? Opinions, Tips, advice, please..

Fog Lights p/n PT857-52080
Rear Bumper Applique p/n PT747-52080
Rear Spoiler p/n PT921-52081-02
Rear Pedestal Spoiler Installation Kit p/n PT921-52081
Door Sill Illumination p/n PTS21-52080
C-Pillar Storage p/n 08446-12800
Floor Mats p/n PT206-52086-02
Cargo Mat p/n PT206-52085-02
Sport Steering Wheel p/n 08460-12820
Scion Security RS3200
Plus/w glass breakage p/n PT398-52081
4-N-1 Interior Illumination (Blue) p/n PTS21-52084
Scion Navigation p/n 08545-00930
Sirius Satellite Fit Kit p/n PTS31-52050
Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver p/n PTS31-53060
TRD Rear Sway bar p/n PTR11-52080
TRD Front Strut bar p/n PTR02-52080
TRD Lowering Springs p/n PTR07-52080
TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap p/n PTR04-00000-02
TRD Oil Filler Cap, p/n PTR04-12108-02
TRD Wheel Install kit 12mm p/n PTR27-52801
Cargo Net p/n PT347-52080
Overhead Console p/n 08253-12800
Remote Engine Start p/n PT398-52080
TRD Performance Shocks
Sport Pedal Covers
EC Mirror
Grill Enhancement
Exhaust Tip
Subwoofer

Thanks
Old 05-30-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would get the dealer to do the electronics- nav, satellite radio, alarm, remote start, mirror? I'd also have them do the steering wheel (assuming it's a replacement, don't want to set off the airbag). Maybe the lowering springs since you'd need an alignment.

The rest you can probably do on your own. The parts do come with installation instructions. Sometimes they're posted online?

There are two reasons to get it done by the dealer at delivery. First is those parts are covered under the car warranty. If installed later or by you, they have a lesser warranty (1 year or something). The second reason is to have the parts financed along with the vehicle which makes them easier for most people to afford. I think the sales tax is also usually less on cars (which would include accessories purchased with the car) than retail sales tax.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:58 PM

it all depends how car savy u r, somethings are always better left to the dealer "for warrenty reaSONS" but things like intakes, mufflers, u can do u self the systems i've always done my self but in this case i'm doen through the dealer cause its a new car, and i know most of them "they sponsered my 1st gen xb and my 96 tercel
Old 05-31-2007, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You can buy the parts from Sparks and still get your local dealer to install if need be. The majority of the items you list are easy installs. You should also be able to find some Scion friends pretty easy for some of the others.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:54 AM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I called 2 other local dealers and told them I was buying the car from another dealer out of town and needed a quote on installing some parts.

I faxed the parts list t to 2 dealers.

One dealer said it would be about $1,200 to install all the parts, I might as well get the selling dealer to do the install since he is only charging me $200- $300 labor.

Another dealer said I would have to buy all the parts from him and he would do the install for another $1,200. He said he doesn't normally do a install of that many parts on a new car unless they sold me the parts and the car, I told him he must be crazy for $1,200 plus parts.

Scion dealers are hard to negotiate with.

stew32,

I heard you don't need a alignment after installing the lowering springs? I may get them to do the things you mentioned and do the rest myself.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I would have them do most of that at the port that way when it comes in is almost done. they can customized the car when the car is still in a satus. once if flips to f you can not add anything else. but the labor when it comes from the post is not that bad.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all the electricals you can probably do it yourself if you are tech savy and have all the right tools.

i would ditch the scion security, but keep the navi. have the dealer install the navi.

the spoiler is a toss up. i would DIY it, but there's not much room for screw ups since u have to drill holes into the trunk so maybe you might want to take this to a dealer.

disconnect both battery terminal before working on your steering wheel if you are worried about the airbag. sometimes, if you mess with the SRS wires while the battery is plugged in, you can screw it up even if it doesnt deploy. that's what happened to my gsr. my damn SRS light on my dash is on all the time now.

suspension work, mirrors, alarm, cosmetics, audio DIY

a lot of this is bolt-ons. you can't really screw up. the worse that you will run into is turning a 3 hour project into several days. good luck.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DL
I heard you don't need a alignment after installing the lowering springs?
You absolutely do need an alignment after the installation of the springs. The front will be off. There is no way you can get it put back together with it properly aligned otherwise.

I did the following of your list myself:
Fog Lights p/n PT857-52080
Rear Spoiler p/n PT921-52081-02
Rear Pedestal Spoiler Installation Kit p/n PT921-52081
TRD Rear Sway bar p/n PTR11-52080
TRD Lowering Springs p/n PTR07-52080

The fog lights involve removing the front bumper cover and cutting the lower grill. Not really that hard, but may be intimidating to some. The electrical part is a piece of cake.

As mentioned, depending on your comfort level with drilling holes in your new car, the spoiler install can be considered difficult. If you want to see both "not just any idiot can do it" and "why I installed mine myself" check this thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=185421

The springs and rear sway bar also depend on your experience with that type of thing. The rear is pretty easy.
Short note/ tip:
I do recommend rechecking the torque on the lower shock bolt that connects to the sway bar after a few miles. I think the tab on the sway bar that attaches to the shock may not initially be perfectly lined up so that after some flexing it gets tweaked straight and becomes ever so slightly loose. A couple of us developed a rattle that sounded like a broken shock after a while. Tightened up the lower shock bolt and it was fine.
The front I suggest spring compressors. Many do it without them, but it will be way easier with them. Randode has some good tips and a good guide in the gen1 tech area.

Another suggestion for the alignment is to wait 5-7 days after the spring install to ensure the springs have completely settled before getting the alignment.

Yet another suggestion is to consider letting them do the alignment with the stock wheels installed. The metal points that have to touch your rims can damage them. Randode had all four wheels damaged. Having different wheels and tires installed for the alignment is less than ideal, but better than damaging my new wheels IMHO. The guy doing the alignment ageed.

One other post spring install consideration. The rear drop is more than the front. I ended up reaiming my headlights as they were too high after the drop.

Good luck and congrats.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$300 isnt bad but if you do it yourself you save that money to put towards other parts
Old 07-25-2007, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Time is money. To me, I'd have them do it for $300. I used to do all my own stuff, but I'm growing out of it some, I enjoy spending my weekends with my son more now. Occassionally I'll still DIY because I do enjoy it.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm glad you mentioned my thread in here... r0x0r...

Even though I had the dealer install my spoiler it didn't turn out well- I would have been better off doing it myself. I think that have been an isolated incident though.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MikeMayer
I'm glad you mentioned my thread in here... r0x0r...

Even though I had the dealer install my spoiler it didn't turn out well- I would have been better off doing it myself. I think that have been an isolated incident though.
Sorry Mike. I know your dealer is going to make it right. I was just pointing out that concerns about that kind of thing was one reason why I did my own.

One point of caution for others, I don't want it to sound like this is a piece of cake. Installing the spoiler may not be for everyone. I am probably not your typical spoiler installer. I am extremely comfortable drilling holes in things. I spent about 15 years as an aircraft mechanic specializing in structural repair and alterations. I'm comfortable drilling holes in a $40 Million dollar airplane so I should be comfortable drilling holes in a $17,180 car. My point is that I did it myself because I was sure I could do a good job. That may not be true for everyone. Be honest with yourself. If you are worried about messing it up, you should probably get the dealer to do it.

And I agree Mike, I highly doubt there is a problem with most dealer (or port) installed equipment.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by OldYeller
You can buy the parts from Sparks and still get your local dealer to install if need be. The majority of the items you list are easy installs. You should also be able to find some Scion friends pretty easy for some of the others.
Exactly right! Half of the fun of owning a Scion is doing the modding yourself. Just have the stuff you don't feel comfortable doing Port installed and enjoy doing the rest yourself!
I wouldn't allow the dealer to install stuff after you sign the papers tho. After you own it good luck having the dealership install stuff without them messing up something else in the process. I've heard way too many horror stories.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:57 PM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I must be lucky, Denny Hecker Toyota/Scion dealer in MN has a great bunch of Techs and the yhave been fair about everything. .