Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Power steering failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:17 AM

Default Power steering failure

While driving around town today, I had parked, did some errand, got back into the car, turned the engine on and got the power steering failure light on. Power steering had indeed failed as now driving my little car is like driving a BIG truck!

I have only 8,000 or so miles on the car... I immediately called the dealer and made an appointment. They seem to think it might be a module failure. He did say that my call was the first he had heard of this.

Have any of you had a similar problem? If so, please post and then I'll have your experience to back me up at the dealer.

Obviously I'm more than a little concerned about this and thank you all for any information you can give me!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Better to have it happen at 8,000 miles than 80,000... that's why we have a warranty.

More power to ya for a quick fix.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry I dont have any info, ive never heard of that happening to anybody else, you might just be the luck one in a 100,000 to get your power steering to go out. Hopefully its a quick fix.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 AM

Default Steering fixed! (but how?)

Well, I took my xB to the dealer and reported the power steering failure. Even showed the tech the error light on the dash cluster and, of course, the lack of power steering itself.

He was very impressed.

Later that day, I get a call from the office guy telling me that he had looked the car over many times, drove it, and even drove a different xB from their lot -- just for comparison. He then told me he could detect no problem with my steering...

I mentioned that the light was on, and certainly he'd have FELT the difference, since my shoulders and upper body were getting a MAJOR workout driving without the power steering. He said there was no light on, and the steering worked fine. He then indicated that maybe I was imagining things...

But when I reminded him that the tech who received the car that morning from me ALSO saw the light, and felt the lack of steering, (and wrote that into his receipt report) he said he'd look into it further.

That evening, I picked the car up and he apologetically told me that someone in the garage must have fixed it, but did not log what was the matter in the first place, nor what the solution was. He did tell me that they did numerous scans on the car's systems, and it appears to be perfectly fine. I'm not sure what went on there at the dealership, but I told the guy I was glad for his honesty, since he could have made something up ("It was your flux-capacitor... yeah, that's it!") but he didn't.

So, not sure what happened, but it's driving fine now. I am a little concerned now though, since problems that go away by themselves usually come back by themselves as well. Oh well, it's all under warranty!!!

If any of you folks have this or similar problems, be sure to post it (and any solutions) here!
thanks!

:D
Old 01-22-2008, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

please make sure you got something indicating his line of bull____ in writing
Old 01-22-2008, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The power steering in the xB is not standard fluid type in most cars.

It is basically a mix of electronics and magnets. If the steering box get's too hot, you will see the light come on.

What probably happened was that the box overheated for some reason and after it was left at the dealership for a few hours, cooled enough to be driveable.

I would keep an eye on it. Mine has 17k on it and so far there have not been any problems and we are putting on about 120 miles a day.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:39 AM

Default Maybe, but maybe not.

Hello all!

Yep, the steering is basically part of the whole "fly by wire" system.

And though I also thought overheating or a shifted module might be the cause, I question the 'overheated steering box' theory.

My reason is that this happened on a Friday afternoon, and then continued for three days, until I brought the car into the dealer. On Friday night, car sat parked. All day Saturday and through into Sunday morning, I did not drive the car. I live in the Northeast, and it's pretty cold right now (hovering around freezing) allowing for car components to cool off.

On Sunday, thinking I let it sit long enough, I tried it out again and it still had the power steering failure, though it had been sitting parked for about 36 hours.

The rest of the story, you all know from previous posts. Thanks for the theories, and keep 'em coming, but I don't think overheating sustained this problem.

Any other ideas?
THANKS!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could something tire related cause the steering stuff to overheat? Say driving with low pressure in one tire or something?