Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Real World xB MPG's

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kdx80boy
xActly, that was the main reason for this thread. I figured the smaller engine of xd's, yaris's, corollas, etc. would have to work harder making them really only get a mile or two better mpg than the XB. Thanks, keep em coming.
Yep...I do get about 27.5 out of the xA when I run 93 octane driving it the same way & same commute. The 10.5:1 compression of the 1.5 likes higher octane. Sure, it'll run on 87, but the computer retards the timing constantly to avoid detonation if you drive it hard, and in my experience that translates to a loss of at least 3mpg.

But even with the xA's 27.5 mpg on 93 octane, the xB2's 4-5 real-world-mpg less (on 87 octane) is so worth it considering the 50+% more power & overall more substantial feel.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have averaged 27.6 mpg since i have owned the car including winter driving, but the last 1000 miles i put on it i averaged 33.3 mpg with a 400 mile hwy trip. I was soooo happy! In my 05 xB i got 31 mpg making the same 400 mile trip, so my xB2 is actually getting better mileage! probably because there are lots of mountains and the speed is like 75.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:13 AM
SL Member

Ok you guys suck.. Im getting like 21 MPG on my xB... I dont drive around with a lead foot or anything.. I keep the ac on 1 or 2 what am I doing wrong! Is there like a break in period where the gas mileage sux? I dont have 1k miles just yet... Will it get better?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by MauiGideon
Ok you guys suck.. Im getting like 21 MPG on my xB... I dont drive around with a lead foot or anything.. I keep the ac on 1 or 2 what am I doing wrong! Is there like a break in period where the gas mileage sux? I dont have 1k miles just yet... Will it get better?
hmmm is yours auto or standard? ... also how are the roads around you ? .. hilly? lot of traffic? sitting still for a while? ...

i have been getting 28+ mpg avg since i picked mine up at the dealership ...

mostly i use cruise when i can ... i accel in such a way that the motor normally is shifted into another gear before it can get close to 2.5k to 3k rpm ... (i have auto) ... sometimes it shifts before i hit 2k ... and i just cruise ...
Old 04-18-2008, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member

My xB has just over 7,000 miles now. In the winter time I had snows on the stock steelies (generally running a few psi below spec inflation pressures) and the worst I got was around 21mpg on a tank (allot of slow around town driving in snow)... and that is on winter fuel formulation gas which which generally costs you a mile or two per gallon. The best I have seen with he snows was high 20's (27 to 28 per tank).

I just put a set of 17" wheels with 225/45 Kumho ASX tires on last week and have made a couple of highway trips (I think we are back to regular summer formulation gas now as well)... putting over 700miles on the new tires/wheels. On one long high leg (lots of cruise control - avg speed of over 65mph on that tank, 69mph cruise speed in 55 zones and 75 to 77 in 65mph zones) I got right around 30mpg. Next few tanks have been around 28mpg (most highway, some around town).

If I was to record and figure a overall averge, I would estimate I'm around the mid 20's so far.

I generally verify what the trip computer says at every fill-up and it is generally in the ball park (about 1mpg high - I think more so in the winter because it doesn't adjust of the different gas formulations).

Has anyone notices that when driving into a good headwind with the xB, that gas millage can drop a good couple of MPG! On a few good tailwind situations, I have gotten in the low 30's (was on the stock tires/wheel when I first got the car).!

BTW guys, DO remember that a number of gas companies put as much as 10% ethanol in their gas.... with these type of gas formulation you will get lower gas mileage because of the ethanol.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah, i have started avoiding the stations around here that do the 10% eth ... not enough of a difference in price for the less milage you get out of it to me ...

my milage is mostly on chevron ... and we don't get the 'winter' gas down here in louisiana as often as most places...
Old 04-18-2008, 08:48 PM
j0n
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by MauiGideon
thats the same problem im having im gettin sucky a@@ mileage an im not even pressing the gas... from what the display tells me im gettin 21-22mpg?? how can i get better gas mileage? an im just over 600miles
Old 04-18-2008, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member

First, check you gas mileage the old fashion way....

- rest one of the trip odo's at next fill-up and rest your avg MPG counter (hold down button while it displays avg MPG for a few secs)
- Drive like normal for a a few hundred miles (ie. use up most of your tank)
- At next fill up check your avg MPG display and record what it says. Also record how many gallons tis take to fill her up.
- check trip odo to see how many miles you got on that tank. MPG per tank avg = Trip odo miles divided by the number of gallons it took to fill her up.

Compare the calculated number to what the AVG MPG display says. If they are far off, some things wrong. If they are close... the evaluate driving style!
Old 04-19-2008, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichB
BTW guys, DO remember that a number of gas companies put as much as 10% ethanol in their gas.... with these type of gas formulation you will get lower gas mileage because of the ethanol.

Exactly...and in some areas of the country, like most of New England (definitely CT, MA & ME), ALL gas is 10% ethanol by law...so my 22-24 is on 10% ethanol.

I wish I had pure gas.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ethanol gas even 10% is supposed to be cheaper at the pump than pure dino ( the government was assisting this program to make it an attractive alt.). When did Law in N. E. come to say ethanol had to be in my gas? And if it is , why didn't gas prices decrease to even out the gas MPG diff. ?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by danos_XBox
ethanol gas even 10% is supposed to be cheaper at the pump than pure dino ( the government was assisting this program to make it an attractive alt.). When did Law in N. E. come to say ethanol had to be in my gas? And if it is , why didn't gas prices decrease to even out the gas MPG diff. ?
The answer is very simple... because the government is involved.

If you want to F*#@k anything up, get the government involved.

Believe me, I'm working very hard not too take this on a completely political bent, that's not what the forum is for... so please, nobody provoke me.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My gas mileage is horrible compred to some of yours. Best ive got so far is 23.4 MPG. I usually average around 21 or so. Worst was 19.8 on a trip to vegas from socal. had cruise on at beween 85 or 90. I wouldnt make it on one tank This is the only car ive ever had that wouldnt make it. My old XB got at least 33 MPG both are automatic.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're driving a vehicle with the coefficient of drag close to a semi-trailer truck, and you're bummed to get only 20mpg at 85-90mph? Try the same trip at 65mph, and see if you don't get 26-28mpg.

I drive 80%/20% freeway/city and have averaged 26.4mpg for the 13k+ miles on my box.

BTW, I drove from L.A. to S.F. on one tank of gas... 360 miles. Yes, it was past Range=0 but it took less than 13 gallons to fill up.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The best ive ever gotten on a tank is 268 miles from FULL until the range meter reaches 0. If you go 65 on I-15 on the way to vegas you are lucky if you dont get run over by a SEMI. IVe had the BOx for two and a half months now and have almost 8000 miles on it. It has been to six states so far. I was hoping to get a little better gas mileage from this one
Old 04-19-2008, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry to hear your bad mileage, my L.A. to S.F. run averaged 28.3mpg; and that included driving up and over the Grapevine section of I-5.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by danos_XBox
We've required oxygenated gas around here for a long time...used to be MTBE, but they've outlawed that (leaching into groundwater), so now the oxygenate of choice is ethanol. It's about reduced emissions (though if we're using MORE, is it really having the desired result? I think not).

As for the price, ethanol was never supposed to bring the price down. That's just a line of BS that some proponents feed you, but has absolutely no merit. On the contrary, the more E10 states there are, and the more E85 gets pushed, the more expensive ethanol becomes - supply<demand.

And to go off topic for a minute - let's hear the environmentalists pushing ethanol explain what's going to happen when corn production spikes to meet ethanol fuel demands...and the use of pesticides on said corn spikes with it.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

eh just give me some good ole fashioned leaded fuel ... that i can put in my vw bug .. that leaks about 2 quarts of oil a week ...
Old 04-20-2008, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

26.5 + im 18 and do dum ____
Old 04-22-2008, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

21 mpg city driving (thats my calculation not the car computer.) 75-80mph on the highway and get about 23 mpg.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The only thing that I can differentiate between everyone who is getting 24MPG+ is the state.

I have never gotten over 20MPG. I have an automatic, with 17's that weigh 2lbs less than the stock steelies with tires, but thats all as far as mods. I do 75% city and 25% highway (around 80MPH). Its is on average 80* outside with a high humidity almost all the time. I never use cruise control and there is alot of traffic (stop lights with alot of cars).

I have no idea why I get such crappy MPG compared to everyone else here. I am a spirited 19 year old driver, but rarely do I ever push my xB over 4k RPMs.

I fill up between 11.2 and 11.5 gallons every fill up and get no more than 230miles per tank. I usually fill up my tank with BP (Amoco) that I just realizes, uses the 10% ethonol standard that the government has put into place. I only run the cheap 87 octane gas as I am a student. I heard that if you run a higher octane, these 2AZ-FE motors like it more and tend to get better MPG. It is worth spending more? Anyone done a test?

I believe my problems are the traffic (the lights being so close together along with alot of stopping and starting), south Florida drivers (no offense to the elderly but it can be somewhat of an annoyance), the humidity and heat, and lastly the ethonol that I used when filling up with BP (which is usually cheaper than other gas stations around).

Quick Reply: Real World xB MPG's