5 Year Member
SL Member

It cost $61 to fill up my WRX's tank.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:43 PM
SL Member

[quote="danos_XBox"]
Originally Posted by xActly

Hey this is related:
I got my car back from installing the Tanabe NF210 lowering spring. Now I'll swear that my milage has to have gone up or something is really playing with my head.
Before my average computer display mileage was about 30 mpg generally. Now in the same places on the roads my average hovers around 45-55. This is not the real computed total MPG but, the varying one. I have to fill up fully and get real stats though>
So what is the final word? What kind of improvements have you seen with the lowering springs? Also are your after market tires the same rolling diameter as stock. If not...bigger or smaller?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oops...your quote makes it look like I said that...but it's dano that just dropped his box.

So what's the good word dano?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by xFistsClenchedx
It cost $61 to fill up my WRX's tank.
wtf. it cost me $68 to fill up my accord.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:02 AM
SL Member

I'm up to 27.2 mpg now
Still pretty pitiful
Old 06-20-2008, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I started the whole NF210 movement, and have recorded my mileage the entire time I have owned my xB. I have seen no difference in mpg from before & after the installation of the springs.

I have seen a 1-1.5 mpg increase since switching to Mobile 1 full synthetic 5W-20 oil.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Back to the MPG-I have a gen 1 but what I have noticed is that the brand of gas makes between 1-3 miles per gallon difference (it likes 76 better than shell or chevron-my vw always liked shell better).

It also seems to make between 2-4 MPG less depending on if some of the driving has been in the rain-water friction from the road? or the colder denser air?

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-20-2008, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My current tank is doing really well the dash monitor says I am averaging 36 mpg. I got 200 miles on the first 1/2 of the tank. I've been trying out some different hypermiling techniques and they seem to be paying off.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:49 AM
SL Member

sorry that was meant to be a Danos quote. So Danos last report you thought you were getting xlnt mileage when lowered. Any diffs?

also can those in hot climates (specifically TExas) let me know what you are getting. I seem to see owners in hot climates with AC on all the time getting the worst mileage.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:52 AM
SL Member

oh BTW what hypermiling. I am trying some in my WRX and am getting around 25mpg mixed over the last 250 miles. I am mostly accel slow (stay off boost), coast in neutral, and occasionally turn the engine off at a long light. I was getting 21 before those changes. Interested in the xB but concerned that there wont be that much of an mpg improvement.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are several things that I do to improve my mileage.
1) Inflate tires to max psi. Reduces rolling resistance.
2) Drive the speed limit.
3) Accelerate more slowly, with an automatic you need to do some pulsing of the throttle to get the car to upshift at lower rpms (sport shift is useless for this). With a manual you can just shift sooner.
4) Shut the car off at lights where you will be sitting for more than 10 seconds.
5) On small hills, accelerate on the downslope and coast on the up slope until you drop to the min speed you want then hold steady. On hills this method is significantly better than cruise control.

Things that I am planning to try.
1) Warm air intake. On the gas saving forums people claim that an intake air temperature of 120 deg F gives them a 6-7% increase in fuel efficiency over stock. In the xB I would simply reroute the snorkel at the bottom of the air box to somewhere near the exhaust manifold.
2) Filling in the gaps on my hupcaps with plastic. Others use full moon wheel covers or even pizza pans.
3) Making rear wheel well covers like some classic cars had.
4) Make an under body cover.
5) Lower the car to reduce airflow under the car.
5) Add air foils to the back of the car. Vortekz Generators or Airtabs

Things I tried but didn't like.
1) Coast in neutral. This may or may not be bad for an auto trans. After trying a couple of times I decided to err on the side of caution figuring I will never save enough gas with it to offset replacing the trans.
2) Glide engine off. This requires the neutral shift and it shuts off the power steering. If an emergency situation arose I would be screwed. It is also illegal in most states.

I am still learning how to perfect the techniques I am using but I am very happy with results so far. I have reduced the amount of gas I use in a month from 4 tanks to 3.

The forums where I learned this stuff are
CleanMPG.com and GasSavers.org
Old 06-22-2008, 04:34 AM
SL Member

jthistle, where are you located. Are you having to run the AC all the time? any mileage results. I am trying an interesting exeriment right now and doing what i call load ballancing. Basically try not to do too many things at once. So when getting up to speed i turn the AC compressor off. I try not to get up to speed too fast and i only turn on the compressor once coasting or cruising. It is amazing how you can feel the compressor turn on and off. Eventhough we are not talking avbout a scion here, ill let you know any results i see. If it helps maybe one of you can add it to your hyper mile arsenal
Old 06-22-2008, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in Chicago. So far this year I have only needed the AC a couple times. I try to only use it on the highway. In stop and go I open my windows. I also do not turn the temp all the way down and I always put it on recirculating. When I was running it seemed like there was a 3-4 mpg drop which would be about 10% of my average. Though I have not run the AC since I really started monitoring my AC.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I finally finished of my first hypermiling tank. I calculated my fuel consumption at 33.8 mpg. The dash average was 35.7 mpg. Driving slower really wasn't that bad, though I did need an extra 10-15 minutes to get to work.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:41 PM

Just filled up my tank for the first time got a little over 26mpg's per the calculations with little highway driving. It also appears that the dealer ship did not really fill it up all the way. Of course its still in break in period with only 170 miles on it. Just to let ya'll know if you have a Iphone or Itouch there is a pretty good MPG application to track your milage.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:19 PM

Default 30-31 MPG Ave

Hello,

First post. I bought an XB 2008 ealier this month. At first, I was getting 26MPG ave. However, over time and some adjustments in my driving habits and 2 small mods I consistently getting between 30-31MPG...and thats a computed number miles driven / gallons consumed. The vehicle shows ave of 31.1MPG..but its generally .5 MPG over the real rating. Daily driving is roughly 50% hwy 50% city. The only mods done so far are the installation of a KN air filter and using a 2oz of lucas oil UCL with each full tank of fuel. Tires are stock at set to 38Psi.

I know there is tons of debate over whether or not KN filters have any effect on MPG. I believe they do...but minimal..probably only 1-2MPG at most. The same goes for Lucas oil fuel treatment. I use these products more to keep the car running optimally in the future..not because I expect big MPG gains.

I normally just driving myself..but sometimes the wife is in the car with me.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 30-31 MPG Ave

Originally Posted by systemxpert
Hello,

First post. I bought an XB 2008 ealier this month. At first, I was getting 26MPG ave. However, over time and some adjustments in my driving habits and 2 small mods I consistently getting between 30-31MPG...and thats a computed number miles driven / gallons consumed. The vehicle shows ave of 31.1MPG..but its generally .5 MPG over the real rating. Daily driving is roughly 50% hwy 50% city. The only mods done so far are the installation of a KN air filter and using a 2oz of lucas oil UCL with each full tank of fuel. Tires are stock at set to 38Psi.

I know there is tons of debate over whether or not KN filters have any effect on MPG. I believe they do...but minimal..probably only 1-2MPG at most. The same goes for Lucas oil fuel treatment. I use these products more to keep the car running optimally in the future..not because I expect big MPG gains.

Do you really think you get a 1-2mpg improvement with a K&N? Do you realize that with an EPA rating of say 30mpg, a 1-2mpg improvement is over a 5% increase? I don't believe it is possible.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys are lucky. I drive like an old man and I only get 23.9 mpg and my average speed says 20mph.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 PM

Default Re: 30-31 MPG Ave

Originally Posted by wrczx3
Originally Posted by systemxpert
Hello,

Do you really think you get a 1-2mpg improvement with a K@N? Do you realize that with an EPA rating of say 30mpg, a 1-2mpg improvement is over a 5% increase? I don't believe it is possible.
Yes and no....like I said. I think there is a difference..but its minimal...maybe 1-2MPG...overall...but that also includes everything else I am doing collectively. When I just watching my driving I was getting 28mpg...adding the K&N..plus lucas seemed to help. But then again they may not. As I stated I do these things to keep the vehicle running at its best performance for long term. I don't believe for a second all the claims of people suddenly getting huge gains in MPG just because they use a K&N. I only paid 25 bucks for my K&N on sale....so I'm not really out anything. I'm just happy to get over 30MPG...its beyond the 22-28 EPA ratings for the 2008 XB..so I must be doing something right.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wrczx3
You guys are lucky. I drive like an old man and I only get 23.9 mpg and my average speed says 20mph.
Do you have an automatic? I have an auto and when I drive conservatively, I get about 23.5 - 24 MPG. When I tried driving like a complete cheap ___ and beyond impracticality, I was able to average 28 mpg on a full tank. That being said, I choose to drive very conservatively and accept 24 mpg on a tank.

Quick Reply: Real World xB MPG's