Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

RS9.0 Light Up Badges..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default RS9.0 Light Up Badges..

I knew when you guys saw this post you would click on it! haha

I was just wondering if anyone rewired their badges to a toggle switch, I don't want to tamper with them just yet I was told they cost around $150 or more per badge if I was to fry one

Here is the wiring diagram of the emblem:

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-14-2020 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I'm quite the noob! I had no idea they HAD light up badges!

Curious how to get these on my Non-Release Series xB?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-14-2020 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Couldnt you just run a switch inline with the ground off #5 connector?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so run a ground switch from the #5 - 2 - wire

You think it would freak anything out? the way it is now, they only turn on when the vehicle doors are opened although it has nothing to do with the interior lighting. seems like the door pin switches.

yes it lights up

So far all I know is Toyota will ask you for the Vin number of your car before they sell it to you.

You could probably make friends with someone and have them order you one.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have the Part# for the badges?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Demoplay
Do you have the Part# for the badges?

From what I understand, the part # isn't a mystery. Your toyota/scion dealer will give those to you. Ordering it is another story as apparently I've also heard you need a VIN#. I'm curious about pricing though!
Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vedlinyrim
so run a ground switch from the #5 - 2 - wire. You think it would freak anything out? the way it is now, they only turn on when the vehicle doors are opened although it has nothing to do with the interior lighting. seems like the door pin switches.
Well looking at the diagram now, there's a plug that says "to vehicle harness." SO it looks like it's controlled by this "harness." Although I could be wrong.

I'm not much of an electronics guy so I couldn't say for sure. Although it SEEMS like you could simplify everything by using the Red and Black wires off the back of each emblem only and cutting them from all the other nonsense.
Run the Red to an ignition source (this would turn them on when you turn the key on) and the black to a switch on your dash! If I were to buy the emblems, I wouldn't be looking at getting the harness too. I'm GUESSING you could wire it up like so:

Ignition source--------Red wire----------------------->Emblem
Ground---------------Black wire------Dash switch---->Emblem

You'd have two wires going to each emblem.

Maybe someone with more electronics experience could chime in. You MAY want to get a relay for the two wires to run through before they make it to the emblem
to ensure the emblems are receiving the proper power; however need to research what voltage to run. It COULD be pretty simple.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-14-2020 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 05-16-2012, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member

it looks like the power is coming off of the branch connector to the instrument panel and they are probably turning it on with the ground to the coil pack on the relay..or vise versa.. this will have to be determined first. whether it is ground or power that completes the circuit to the relay coil. once you find this out it will be easier to see where you could splice in a switch to power up the badges. also keep in mind you will have to prevent any circuit back feed to prevent other things from happening once you put power to that circuit...to do this you will probably need another relay in series with either the ground or power line on that feed source... thats the way it looks to me
or you could do what code3xb suggested and cutting off the red and black wires and routing them seperately but they would no longer work when you unlocked your doors

Last edited by Joebug; 05-16-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i checked on buying another badge for my car, i have the 9.0. I had to have vin number to get it, the front was $350, the rear was $150, with that being said i decided not to buy another one. I am building new fiberglass box and was goin to flush mount that in there but decided just to put a scikotics logo in it instead
Old 05-17-2012, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A few points to think about -

1. It's almost certainly illegal to have the rear emblem on while driving unless you also change the color to Red. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting)
If you do change it to Red, it might be nice to power it from the brake lights. The front emblem is probably okay - I see some fog light kits are installed close to the center.

2. The emblems are powered by the same source as the interior overhead light. They both go on when you unlock the car or open a door, and go off after 15 seconds or when you turn on the car.
The relay in the wiring diagram posted earlier is used to cut the power to the emblem when the car is on. These lights gradually brighten and dim as they go on and off, so they are not powered by a simple mechanical relay.

3. The ground (black) wire should always remain connected. If you still want to put it on a switch, disconnect the battery, cut the red wire after connector 2, and wire it like:

Name:  ScionEmblem.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  19.2 KB

So you can switch between normal operation and "on with the accessory power". Good luck, but I make no guarantees about any of this, so don't blame me if you fry something, get a ticket, etc.

Edit: Even better than a dash switch would be to use a SPDT relay which would switch the emblem power source from normal to accessory power when the car is started.
That way the emblem would still turn on when you unlock or open a door, and would then remain on while the car is running.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-14-2020 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow those are all great ideas! I wanted to use the switch for car shows while I run my power source from a Block. although I wanted it so when I turn off my switch the system switches back to stock settings "only when opening the door, car alarm ect".

The badges are pretty pricey so what to do is debatable until someone tries it lol. Perhaps I will be the first.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took a closer look, and I don't think it will be easy to change the color. It looks like the LED's are molded into the emblem.
So if it's just for a show, you can use a switch and power it from the battery instead of accessory power.
They probably draw very little current and could run a long time without noticeably draining the battery.

If you're doing that, then you may want to move your connection to the wire that connects to pin 1 of the relay.
That way it will automatically shut off when you start the car and you won't get a ticket for driving with an illegal white light in the rear.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-14-2020 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by degaston
I took a closer look, and I don't think it will be easy to change the color. It looks like the LED's are molded into the emblem. So if it's just for a show, you can use a switch and power it from the battery instead of accessory power. They probably draw very little current and could run a long time without noticeably draining the battery. If you're doing that, then you may want to move your connection to the wire that connects to pin 1 of the relay. That way it will automatically shut off when you start the car and you won't get a ticket for driving with an illegal white light in the rear.
Did you try it already? Just wondering because i noticed you have the 2012 RS9.0 as well.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-14-2020 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 05-27-2012, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vedlinyrim
did you try it already? just wondering because i noticed you have the 2012 9.0 as well.
It's pretty low on my list of priorities. I'm not into car shows, so I have no need for it, but it might be a simple and fun project some time if I'm bored. I have two kids in little league, so protecting the interior has been my first goal. I've replaced the floor mats and seat covers. I'm working on getting a good wheel cover and replacing for the shift boot. Then I'd like to wire the garage door remote to a dash button.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's pretty low on my list of priorities. I'm not into car shows, so I have no need for it, but it might be a simple and fun project some time if I'm bored. I have two kids in little league, so protecting the interior has been my first goal. I've replaced the floor mats and seat covers. I'm working on getting a good wheel cover and replacing for the shift boot. Then I'd like to wire the garage door remote to a dash button.
Just FYI, I installed a auto dimming mirror out of a Lexus IS 250. It has a three button homelink installed into the mirror housing. Bolts up to the stock mirror mount and has a three wire hook up. Just an option.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lildann
Just FYI, I installed a auto dimming mirror out of a Lexus IS 250. It has a three button homelink installed into the mirror housing. Bolts up to the stock mirror mount and has a three wire hook up. Just an option.
I had homelink on my '04 Sienna and it was not compatible with my garage opener. Maybe the newer models are, but I think it would be a lot cheaper to just do it myself.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota just had a 1 day sale and I purchased the entire floor mat combo for like 85$, might want to contact your dealer to see if there is upcoming sales soon. "I should have also bought the TRD intake" *slaps head*
Old 06-01-2012, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the WeatherTech mats - a lot pricier, but they fit like a glove and have a big lip around the edge to hold in the dirt/crumbs/etc. that my kids track into the car.

Getting back to the topic, though, I am interested in rewiring my lights so they work as daytime running lights, and I might do the front emblem change at the same time.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the WeatherTech mats - a lot pricier, but they fit like a glove and have a big lip around the edge to hold in the dirt/crumbs/etc. that my kids track into the car.

Getting back to the topic, though, I am interested in rewiring my lights so they work as daytime running lights, and I might do the front emblem change at the same time.

Hey I would be totally interested how you do it when you switch it out. Please post it up
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a RS9 at work that has been de-badged. Even the Light Up one. I was surprised to see that they would have even thought of taking it off.

Speaking from the Box of Life.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-14-2020 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge

Quick Reply: RS9.0 Light Up Badges..