Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Scotchgard Protective Film (Clear Bra material)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scotchgard Protective Film (Clear Bra material)

So I've gotten my GF to get into cycling after test riding some bikes last week. I've already got a couple bikes but we put a deposit down on a set of pretty cool "city" bikes that we can ride together.

I have 2 bike racks - a hitch-mount and a "strap-on", umm... I mean trunk-mount. I don't have a hitch on the xB (yet?) so I'm planning to use my trunk-mounted bike carrier. It's the Saris Bones model and I think it's a pretty nice piece.

The strap-on rack hooks onto the rear hatch in 6 different areas and it also has 3 rubber feet that touch the glass and bumper. I ordered a sheet of clear bra material hoping to put it on the hatch wherever the bike rack touches. I figure this would be a good idea because I don't want to scratch the paint.

My question is how durable is this stuff and will it look ugly over time. In other words will it get dull and ruin the car's shine after a few uses? Anybody with experience with this stuff in where it gets a lot of contact?

Or should I just get a hitch? I don''t plan to transport bikes farther than our city limits.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only things I know about it are what's in the FAQ on their website.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...Consumer/FAQs/

I'm curious whether the UV protected clear bra would preserve the paint underneath it better than the rest of the paint on the car leaving lines where the bra was installed similar to what would happen with your standard black bra.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My neighbor across the street has that clear bra crap on his Toyota Highlander. It's dull, dirty, yellow and looks like ____. I don't know how old it is but his car can't be more than 5 years old.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought they advertised a guarantee against the dulling, etc? Or is their more than one company that does this? I have found that there are tons of companies that do window tintiing, so maybe there is more than one company that does the clear bra.

God bless
John
Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would go with a name brand, like 3M. They have the 3M ones on eBay for about $85. They also have ones on eBay for about $4 dollars. I'd bet the $4 ones are the ones that turn yellow and dull.