Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Shopping for 2011 XB tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 PM

Default Shopping for 2011 XB tomorrow

Any thoughts?
Im looking for white. Other than that (and even including that!) i am open to all and any suggestions involving every aspect of the experience. Is that too much to ask? I am willing to go no options (except maybe spoiler) to anything that's recommended. my preference is to get things upfront rather than after amrket. I know most here feel the opposite but time to do these things is not in abundance and never get around to doing stuff.
And thanks in advance!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

dont get anything at the dealer order it all online and install yourself and you will save more money. why pay for it over the time of your loan
Old 11-05-2010, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should get the floor and cargo mat set, IMO.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^x2

Winter is upon us, as it was when I purchased my xB. Sure I could have saved $30 by getting them online, but it was raining the day I bought it and I wanted the immediate protection.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 AM

wheel locks, cargo cover, trunk cargo mat, and over head console, and upgraded audio, thats pretty much all I needed for mine, subwoofer if you want a kick in your audio but at that point id just go aftermarket to get a better subwoofer
Old 11-06-2010, 01:32 AM

Thanks. This is helping.
Kiddtango17, If you got wheel locks, you got wheels, no?
Im thinking i want black or moon hubcaps, which i think would be cool with the white.
And what does the overhead console do?
Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:12 AM

not yet planning on getting some 18 or 19's but thinking about engine work and what not first... if you're gonna stick with caps you're better off just getting a good black spray paint and design your own outta the stock caps
Old 11-06-2010, 02:26 AM

Yeah.
I am not a DIY person but i figure i can do that much. The pix elsewhere on this board are impressive.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:37 AM

that's te best part about being a scion owner, the DIY projects
Old 11-06-2010, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Forget about anything with wheels. YOu'll want to drive the xB around first before you decide on wheels, since they're such a big commitment.

I'd say if you'd like, get the spoiler, but I bought mine A LOT cheaper online and installed it myself, saving over half the cost.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Woohoo

We bought an illusive blue metallic in may and we are at 4983 miles at this moment, and I love that car, not even kidding haha, I think it would be safe to say we wre the first 11 in las Vegas
and don't buy a spoiler at dealer, I made the mistake and told my dad to do it and then when I saw how much it was online I got mad.... Better get online for parts man.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hingyfan
Any thoughts?
Im looking for white. Other than that (and even including that!) i am open to all and any suggestions involving every aspect of the experience. Is that too much to ask? I am willing to go no options (except maybe spoiler) to anything that's recommended. my preference is to get things upfront rather than after amrket. I know most here feel the opposite but time to do these things is not in abundance and never get around to doing stuff.
And thanks in advance!
FWIW -- When I bought my 2008, I only bought options/accessories from the dealer I was uncomfortable with installing myself. For me, that translated into the rear spoiler and rear bumper applique', but nothing else. Since bringing it home, I've customized it considerably, but none of the mods involved the dealer. If you're too uncomfortable making mods yourself, then there's nothing wrong with taking other avenues, but at least consider the alternatives.

Best wishes with your new car !
Old 11-06-2010, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

My wife purchased a white 2011 xB the day after they hit the main land. She was looking at the purple release series for the previous years but decided she wanted a white one. The dealership we were going to purchase one from said that they could get a 2010 white xB to the dealership with no problems. Well, needless to say, they had some problems. We got to looking online and found out that the 2011s were going to hit the mainland the next day. She immediately called the dealer and told them to snag one and thats what she got.

As for options, unless you just want them included in your auto loan, searching online is best. I know everyone has already said this, but just to give you an example, look up the factory spoiler cost through the dealer, and then check a site like trdsparks.com.

factory costs:
http://next.autos.fy2.b.yahoo.com/20..._with_options/

trd sparks:
http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=2635

Thats over $150 in savings.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 AM

Thanks. This is helping me calm down and get excited at same time!
Old 11-06-2010, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just don't buy parts from dealership and try and get free mats when you get it you know like for them to close the deal, I already want to take our spoiler off but I think they drilled to put it on I may be wrong
Old 11-06-2010, 04:28 AM

Not liking your spoiler?
I think i would do it for white but not the other colors.
The other color i was considering was Sting Ray blue. I got this mixed up with Elusive BLue Metallic. ELusive Blue is too dark for me, although on the Scion site, Stingray looks dark too. I dont want anythink dark and that rules out anything besides those two and silver. My wife doesnt like silver, since my current car is gold, if that makes sense.
White is a somewhat scary color to consider but i think they look cool on the road. One problem is i am a messy guy, like the Pig-Pen character in Peanuts.
But in cars, it's the darker colors that get messed up.
We do however live in a heavily wooded area, and leaves and sap and such are to be considered.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only thing I would get would be the spoiler: let the dealer drill into the rear hatch. Everything else, get aftermarket. You'll get a wider selection and more importantly, you'll have the time to look things over and decide what to get. At the dealer, it's rush, rush, rush. Besides, everything the dealer has costs 30-100% more than aftermarket, even with installation.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 AM

I got it. White with a spoiler, Alpine upgrade stereo, leather steering wheel (i had one on my last car and the regualr one on the test drive didnt seem right) and mats.
They basically had nothing to look at in way of extras and even the stock stereo in car i drove didnt work. And this was a stand alone Scion dealer.
Shoud be ready Thursday. Im thinking maybe i should have gotten fog lights.
Thanks for help here.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congratulations! Welcome to the family.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:03 AM
SL Member

The only item that I added to my purchase price were the floor mats. I wanted wheels and the security system but the dealer didn't those upgrades available at the time.

Looking back, I wish I had known that I could have bought the mats for $60 cheaper online. I would have waited the week or so for shipping in order to save that much.
And I'm really glad that I didn't go with dealer option wheels and security system. I've seen those things at deep discount on eBay and such too.

My daughter and I both drive Scions and when we discovered the online community we became really knowledgeable about our cars. She first dabbled into DIY's with the install of LED's in the interior of her tC. From there our mods progressed to caliper painting, blacking out tails, installing audio, cold air intakes, and so much more...
I've taken out panels, pulled off bumpers, made custom vinyl decals, swapped out HID's for halogens in the headlights, ran 8g wire thru the grommet in the firewall, dremeled holes and placed new switches on the dash pieces, tweaked and bent front grilles to fit just right, became really good at painting with a rattle can...

I use JB Weld, velcro, hot glue, DupliColor, zip ties, 3M tape, felt, and a cute little Husky 1/4" drive socket set to do most of my mods.

Doing mechanical and electrical mods are intimidating. But the ideas, pictures, and information shared on Scion forums have empowered me with confidence and just pure stoke. The amount of money that can be saved by Doing It Yourself is always very motivating!
I feel so rewarded by learning how to install at a fraction of the cost. And I can do it totally custom to the way I like it.
Some things I had done were way outta my league - sway bars and lowering springs. No way was I gonna pay a dealer to have them put on my car. I have someone else I trust do those jobs for me.
But maybe I can do my own brakes in the future. Just gotta use the Search button and read up on tech articles.

Can't believe I'm addicted to my car.

Enjoy your new Scion. And post up with pictures and updates.

Quick Reply: Shopping for 2011 XB tomorrow