Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Should I just buy a new xB?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Should I just buy a new xB?

Okay, I'm in the market for a 2nd gen xB. I loved my 1st gen but I think it's time to sell even though it has low miles. Is it worth it to constantly look around for a used white xB2 w/automatic? Yes, I'd love to save thousands and thousands of dollars on a used xB but so far it seems like finding a needle in a haystack.

I have time on my hands except for the fact this is the last year they're making the xB..and we certainly have no idea what they're going to replace it with. Should I just suck it up and buy the 18-20k (+2K in sales tax, registration) for a brand new xB2? From what I see the pluses of buying new (in this case) seems to outweigh the minuses but maybe I'm just seeing it wrong.

Finally, here's a short list of my likes/dislikes about gen 2 xB:
1. High Quality - rated Outstanding by Consumer Reports.
2. Very roomy and practical - Very, very important to me.
3. It's a Scion - I love my xB1 and I'm very brand loyal.
4. Sits higher than a regular car - Kind of like when you get an HDTV with a swivel stand..you just can't go back to the old ways!
5. You can move big items in this small car - Similar to #2 (is the xB1 actually better than xB2 in this regard?)
6. Gauges in the middle: Kind of like the swivel HDTV, I just like it this way.
7. Power: Has more power than the xB1, it'd be nice to have.
8. Ride: I'm pretty sure this has a lot softer ride than my xB1.
9. It's got more storage in the very back than xB1. I can certainly use the extra space.
Dislikes:
1. The huge pillar: I think I can get used to this but right now IDK.
2. Gas mileage: Sucks but I'm light on the pedal and don't drive over 10K a year.
3. Center console for the Automatic transmission. I'm trying to visualize where the cup holders are compared to my xB1?!!
4. Dash doesn't seem as ergonomic.
5. Consensus seems to be the xB1 is just a better car and the majority usually rules. It'd be noice to borrow an xB2 for a month to see how true/untrue this is.

Anyway, this is the quandry I'm in. My xB1 is in fine condition but I also know it can get top dollar due to it's low mileage. I drove a 2012 Mazda 5 rental recently and it certainly has a lot of pluses except for its incredibly unacceptable road noise and that got me thinking about having a softer ride, more power, more room etc. Curious to know what you think.

Thanks - BlingSlade.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd buy something different for $20,000. Scions are imo overpriced and don't have the same bang for the buck they use to have.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly i recently noticed how much road noise there actually is. Ive had my 2012 since late 2011 and im barely hearing it.

I have a few things that bother me about it but ive learned to deal with em.

1. I would have liked more cubby holes/secret compartments.
2. Road noise can be a pain at times. (Hoping to solve that issue in the future)
3. The ride (on stock suspension) isnt all that smooth.
4. Needs more power
Old 04-23-2013, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I loved my xb1... I had many good times with it. But I've owned a lot of other cars between it and my xb2... (passat turbo wagon, mazada rx7 fcs3, civic hatch, 80's cavalier z24 convert, tc1 probably forgetting one somewhere. lol) And let me say, the xb2 is quickly growing on me to being up there with my xb1. I like the bigger interior, and the reduced road noises. It is as quiet as my Passat was before I did the free flowing exhaust and such.

Down sides: Gas mileage isn't great. Don't have Rumion/Rukus TRD lip and bumper.
Up sides: comfortable, roomy, rides great, low road noises.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just bought a brand new white 2013 xb2 3 weeks ago and here's my opinion.

the bad:
- road noise is definitely noticeable on the highway. it's not really that annoying or agitating but i put up with it bc the price of the car. im coming from a $68k mercedes for what it's worth. im always blasting music anyway and that helps :D
- gas mileage is pretty bad but I only have 430 miles on it so far. definitely waiting until 3k-5k miles to see "true" gas mileage readings. I drive maybe 5k-8k miles a year and also don't drive with a lead foot. max speed is usually 60-65. i am currently getting 21mpg with average speed of 13mph haha. city driving is a killer.
- the 2013 model has absolutely no storage area for the rear passengers EXCEPT for the space under the seat and the cup holders. there is no storage in the rear doors and for me, this is a pain. i can get something for the rear seats that's after market but i feel like i shouldn't have to.

the good:
- huge interior, very roomy, very easy to get in an out of especially for older folks
- most people that have owned the car for a long time rave about it and it's reliability, low maintenance costs
- re: the price, i thought it was pretty good actually considering its very safe, the stock head unit is very useful (bluetooth audio), cruise control, tire pressure monitoring, very bright dome lights (3 of them) and all the features it has over the gen 1 xb. also consider inflation. i paid ~$17k for my brand new xb1. i paid shy of $20k for my xb2. both were brand new.

used vs new: the piece of mind that you get buying new cannot be matched regardless how well taken care of the used car is. used xb's with low miles were going for 15k-16k before tax so i said why the hell not spend the $2k more and know that im buying a car that won't have any problems (knock on wood) for the next few years. my car had ~17 miles on it when i picked it up.

i justified spending the $20k because i figure i'm getting suv-like space and that's what i was paying extra for. i actually liked the new yaris a lot (16k base) but the rear seats are tiny especially when you have a family. so that' why i came back to scion and bought the xb2. i also owned an xb1 for 4 years and loved it. a friend of mine has a jeep liberty (6 cylinder) and he gets only 12 mpg! i think hummers get that much! it's ridiculous.

re: huge pillar: i thought this would be an issue too but honestly, with your side mirrors set properly, it's not a huge problem since the car isnt' so long to begin with. this is just my experience.

I prefer the xb1 because of gas mileage, size, and i honestly think it was a more fun car to drive. some car rental agencies have xb2's in their fleet so it would be worthwhile for you to rent one for a weekend, take a nice long trip and see what you think about it.

i hope this helps.

Last edited by midtowndesi; 04-23-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:30 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

There are way better cars in the $18k-$20k new. If the xb2 was given the 2ar-fe and 6 speed powertrains like other Toyotas, maybe it'd be worth it.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If there is nothing wrong with your XB1 and it be paid off then I would keep it and drive the wheels off it before getting a new car. There are better cars for that price and a little more then the XB2. If you like the Mazda then look into that. I have to admit that had I driven a Mazda 3 before I bought my XB I would have bought Mazda 3

Good luck
Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is also something else that Scion has to offer that no other car company has... Community experience.

I don't know about you guys, buy almost all the friends I've made over the last few years have been fellow Scion owners. (90% of them own a xb1/2) We all have different styles and taste in life, but yet, they are the most kind and helpful folk I've been around. I've been modifying cars, and hanging around fellow car nuts for about 12-13 years now. The Scion owners are still my favorite.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stenger
There is also something else that Scion has to offer that no other car company has... Community experience.

I don't know about you guys, buy almost all the friends I've made over the last few years have been fellow Scion owners. (90% of them own a xb1/2) We all have different styles and taste in life, but yet, they are the most kind and helpful folk I've been around. I've been modifying cars, and hanging around fellow car nuts for about 12-13 years now. The Scion owners are still my favorite.
X2^ the scion community is unsurpassed
Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by VENisME
I'd buy something different for $20,000. Scions are imo overpriced and don't have the same bang for the buck they use to have.
This. I've been drooling over third gen GS430s...
Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

All great points. For me at the end of the day, I say just do what makes you happy. Don't over think it . Want a new xB Go for it. I love my 2010. I have had more expensive cars and trucks and none that I can afford are perfect. If you have the means I would lean toward new, It's known to hold value and it does give you that peace of mind. There is something to be said for holding on to your gen 1. Everything changes no matter what, love the old, embrace the new but make yourself happy. It's only money, Right? Good luck! And keep up updated on what you decide
Old 04-24-2013, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think that you should buy the xB because it sounds like you will be happier with it than another vehicle. I agree with VINisME as to what you get for your money with the xB. It's hard to compare one vehicle to another and the xB has a lot of room in it for a smaller car, so if that's what you are looking for then you have found your next car.

I just got rid of my 2008 xB which I paid $17,400 new, my new 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited cost me $20,400. The Elantra is loaded!! Back up camera, GPS, XM, Bluetooth, leather seats (heated f/r) power seat and power lumbar, auto temp control, power sun roof, 17 inch alloys,push button start, 6 speed auto which is soooo smooth and when I filled it up today for the first time I got 34.4 mpg (mostly city). Plus a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty! The list goes on and on and on....

Not knocking the xB, in my opinion the xB should have a lot more options for the money!

Last edited by xbscion; 04-24-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I've got a certified used scion, so I've got the same warranty. Everything is covered from body to electric. And I'm not supporting Korea so you know :D
Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

stenger....My Elantra was made with 36% parts from US/Can. final assembly was in Alabama, and where was your xB assembled? My xB had OEM alloys made in CHINA!

I don't get your point.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

My girlfriend picked up a new Hyundai Accent. It's a really nice car for the price. Plus, 40mpg on the interstate!? My xB can't touch that.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbscion
stenger....My Elantra was made with 36% parts from US/Can. final assembly was in Alabama, and where was your xB assembled? My xB had OEM alloys made in CHINA!

I don't get your point.

Being as I am about to work for Toyota in Ky, I am going to be loyal to the brand here... As they will be providing me a job that'll turn my life around. That's part 1.

Part 2: We aren't currently fighting (or plan to fight) half of Japan... Not that I'm a flag waving 'Merican or anything, but you know. Korean cars have always been a big no-no to me, and pretty much all of my family.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

stenger.... I see why you say what you say, but I'm not looking for a job with Toyota or any other company, just stating what I see. The 2013 xb that I looked at was $18,000 plus, not enough on it for today's market.

Buy what makes you happy, it's your money!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by stenger
Being as I am about to work for Toyota in Ky, I am going to be loyal to the brand here... As they will be providing me a job that'll turn my life around. That's part 1.

Part 2: We aren't currently fighting (or plan to fight) half of Japan... Not that I'm a flag waving 'Merican or anything, but you know. Korean cars have always been a big no-no to me, and pretty much all of my family.
But we have fought Japan in the past...

Your points are all moot. Congratulations.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2 have xB2 or have not xB2

Hey everyone, first of all I want to thank everyone who chimed in. Everyone had very good, valid points and you've definitely helped me with this quandary I have. Trust me, if the xB2 wasn't such a polarizing car I seriously doubt I'd hesitate in buying it.

And driving this Mazda 5 rental is probably the catalyst to me thinking about a new car. It's funny, I hated this Mazda so much the first day I seriously thought about going back and complaining loudly enough to get a different model. But..the next day I realized how much softer ride it is and how smooth and powerful the engine is, and the a/c works much better/cooler..a very noticeable change compared to my xB1! On the negative side the road noise is horrendous(unacceptable), the dash cover is cheap plastic and the back seats are buckets which I don't like at all.

My car background: My first new car was an 88 Honda Accord Hatchback DX. I got it on sale for 11,500 and I loved that car to death, until Hurricane Andrew completely destroyed it! I then had a used 88 Accord Sedan LXI, a Honda Prelude, then a 2000 Civic Si, which is the worst car I ever had and I was glad it never came back the 2nd time it was stolen. After that I literally became an older fat white guy driving a 1996 Acura TL, then a 2003 Acura TL. The first time I saw the xB1 back in 2005 I thought it was a joke..until I asked my friend if I could drive his and I immediately knew I had to have one.

Now I'm an even older white guy but not so fat anymore. Miraculously I got my health back so deep down I really don't care how much anything costs anymore, because the path I was on it was only a matter of time before I keeled over and OUT.

Back to the xB2. I've test drove it once last year (2012 model I think) but I don't remember how it felt and I really didn't get a chance to test it like I wanted to with the sales agent blaring in my right ear("take this turn, slow down", etc). I'm going to take the good advice and go out and test drive it again, hopefully I can rent one for a weekend and I think that would settle it for me one way or another. Yes, there are other cars out there but how many ride a little high and have the room of a SUV without actually being a SUV? I don't think I could drive a Prius V, I can't hang with the Mazda 5 road noise, and no way would I ever consider the weak sisters Nissan Cube and Kia Soul. I'm not going to drive a Hyundai either because 1. I lived in Korea and they can be extremely rude and 2. I don't believe the hype, they haven't caught up with Japanese engineering/refinement yet. I'll simply put it this way, my next car will be Japanese until/unless the American car companies finally decide to stop making crap.

Finally, thanks again to everyone for your advice and wisdom. You certainly pointed out things I wasn't thinking of and you certainly know what you're talking about when it comes to cars.

BlingSlade

Quick Reply: Should I just buy a new xB?