Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Side Pillar Creak

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So.. after some center punches on a bunch of welds, i got my car back from the dealership....

Click is gone.... well almost. It is significantly reduced. I dont know if im looking for a noise now or if there is still a little itty bitty click. It's not bad at all though. At least not bad enough to make a stink about it.

Luckily, no scratches and no trace of them taking anything apart. Phwew.... Good luck to anyone else that has the same issue!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

was this directly over the b pillar top.. anyone know how to remove the b pillar
Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

iv started to notice that when i go over speed bumps @ an angle or up a drive way at an angle theres a stretching almost creaking sound coming from the driver side...... and then theres the sound from the front passanger windshield, not sure how to explain it, i thought it was the windshield wiper rubbing up and down with the force of air but its not that
Old 11-28-2008, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I call it a plastic pop
Old 11-29-2008, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by marving11
So.. after some center punches on a bunch of welds, i got my car back from the dealership....

Click is gone.... well almost. It is significantly reduced. I dont know if im looking for a noise now or if there is still a little itty bitty click. It's not bad at all though. At least not bad enough to make a stink about it.

Luckily, no scratches and no trace of them taking anything apart. Phwew.... Good luck to anyone else that has the same issue!
can you tell me what and where he dit it. the fN clicks are driving me nuts, hate that sh$t
Old 12-01-2008, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see my last post said it was all fixed! HA! I was fooled...

Probably a week or 2 after the clicks came back.. brought it and left it for the day with the stealership 2 times. Both times they said that they couldnt hear it.

So, i took it to a different dealership... guess what.. they couldnt hear it.. so i finally forced them to go for a drive with me.... and of course the clicks were there but not loud enough to pin point where they were at....

I gave up... i drive every day with a clicking noise in my left ear... ive tried taking it apart myself and leaving it all torn apart listening for the click... i cant find it or make it stop..

my guess .. the click is coming from the body of the car with it flexes. Along the top of the door sill 3 sheets of metal are punched together.. when the body flexes, i think these sheets shift a bit causing a click.. kinda like when you run a sticky hand flat across a table - stop go stop go stop go... each time making a noise..

so im done obsessing over it.. im jjust going to let it go and just ask about it again on my next oil change.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by marving11
I see my last post said it was all fixed! HA! I was fooled...

Probably a week or 2 after the clicks came back.. brought it and left it for the day with the stealership 2 times. Both times they said that they couldnt hear it.

So, i took it to a different dealership... guess what.. they couldnt hear it.. so i finally forced them to go for a drive with me.... and of course the clicks were there but not loud enough to pin point where they were at....

I gave up... i drive every day with a clicking noise in my left ear... ive tried taking it apart myself and leaving it all torn apart listening for the click... i cant find it or make it stop..

my guess .. the click is coming from the body of the car with it flexes. Along the top of the door sill 3 sheets of metal are punched together.. when the body flexes, i think these sheets shift a bit causing a click.. kinda like when you run a sticky hand flat across a table - stop go stop go stop go... each time making a noise..

so im done obsessing over it.. im jjust going to let it go and just ask about it again on my next oil change.
Thanks, me to I am done. I don't want them to tear up my car for the click. everyone that has an 08 or 09 has the click I know of. must be inherit in the cars design.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UPDATE ON CLICK OVER SIDE PILLAR
I was told it was the side curtain air bag system, I WILL SEE TOMORROW. I do know the 10mm bold holding it were loose. anyone else
Old 12-03-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by jonmach12
iv started to notice that when i go over speed bumps @ an angle or up a drive way at an angle theres a stretching almost creaking sound coming from the driver side...... and then theres the sound from the front passanger windshield, not sure how to explain it, i thought it was the windshield wiper rubbing up and down with the force of air but its not that
I have this same issue. I have taken it to the dealer twice now and the first time, they said it was because of stuff in my glove, which is BS, and the second time they said they fixed it. I just picked my car up yesterday and drove it to work this morning and the noise is still there.
The sound is hard to explain, its like a sticky sound right in the corner of the passenger side windshield.

So far I have taken my car back to the dealer a total of 10 times for various creaks and noises.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will post the fix to the B-Pillar click later tonight. FIX FOUND...I will do a seprate thread
Old 12-04-2008, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The noise i have by the passanger windshield has gotten LOUS, but i think i finally figured out what it is. The black rain gudder thing on the outside its moving with every bump i hit making the noise, not i just need to find out how to make it stop.....
Old 12-04-2008, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jonmach12
The noise i have by the passanger windshield has gotten LOUS, but i think i finally figured out what it is. The black rain gudder thing on the outside its moving with every bump i hit making the noise, not i just need to find out how to make it stop.....
I would use a black silicone.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm.... i'll have to try that thanks!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:58 PM

I would call the noise I am getting a loud "tap". It sounds like it is coming from the top of the windshield, in the corner, on the passenger side. It sounds like a plastic piece is tapping against metal somewhere in the roof. Maybe the rain channel piece is loose/defective? It started out only being once in a while, but now it is over every decent-sized bump. On extra-large bumps (Wisconsin roads suck because of our nasty winters), I have heard something similar on the drivers side, too. If the road is smooth, it won't happen. I guess I'll have to take it in, but I think I'll have to ask them to ride with me so it gets documented as actually being there. The last thing I want is to leave my car at the dealership for a few days, only to be told "we couldn't replicate the issue".
Old 12-19-2008, 01:42 AM
ckd
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's what I have found with my B pillar clicking. I tore the whole thing apart and went through the bolts holding the air bag the roof support etc. like others have posted and still was there. I even drove around with the roof support bolts loose and that wasn't the clicking I was getting. It began to sound like a bad spot weld to me and in a last ditch effort I sprayed a dry film lube and I'm sure WD40 might wourk in between the seems behind the door seal up by the roof or top corner area of the B pillar. I was able to stick the straw in between some of the outer and inner sheet metal of the car and knock on wood its been over two weeks and no clicking. I sprayed from the drivers side door area and the rear door area. All I can think of is maybe theres a bad spot weld thats flexing slightly and giving off that clicking noise.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, funny i found this thread today, cuz i just started hearing a noise when i was driving around with my girl tonight, we couldnt figure out what it was to save our lives. i took the ____ outta the center console, the glove box, took my skateboards out of the trunk and everything. damn scions, oh well, what do you expect for $17,000?
Old 12-19-2008, 05:32 PM
ckd
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know for sure it was not the plastic on my B pillars because I removed all the pieces and drove around for a week with them off and still had the problems.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dealer did mine and no noise for a month now. quiet like hell

they said the supports were missaligned and not tight and they also padded the beam...