Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Thinking about an xB

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:10 PM
SL Member

Default Thinking about an xB

I currently own an '08 xD and am thinking about getting something bigger. I've narrowed down my choices to Scion xB, Acura RDX, Lexus RX350, or Acura MDX. I had my sights on RX350 back in '09 but due to the recall, I am suspect about the whole Toyota/Lexus product line and don't want a 3.5L V6 going full throttle on me accidently. I know xB is made in Japan and based from xD, Scion's are not geared toward luxury. I have owned a Civic and know that Honda/Acura's are technology laden, which is both an advantage and a disadvantage. I also know that RDX is equipped with a turbo. I am planning to get a certified pre-owned.

Here is the link for the car comparisons:
http://autos.yahoo.com/car-compare/o...&trimId3=19008

Since alot of owners here buy and modify turbo's, I would like some feedback on turbo reliability, experiences with the RDX/MDX/RX350 if you have driven them before, and if you think I should wait until Toyota has resolved all their issues.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member

Default All good cars, I would wait or buy and mod the Xb

I have driven nearly all your choices at the golf club where I work. These are good cars. You may get a bargain with the recalls happening. I would wait until the problems are gone. New ones should be the safest ones in the world if Toyota wants to keep selling in America. That being said, the Turbo's are all outstanding and reliable. I own a 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo with 159,000 miles. It is fast and reliable with very few replacement parts.
I just did the front end and radiator, water pump, etc.

I personally do not have to dress up or drive to impress. I bought a 2006.5 Xb 2 months ago with 16,000 miles and I love it. I do not need extra power and I live in Santa Barbara Foothills. My little Bento (It means "concvenience") is perfect. I can load bikes and kayaks with my racks and the people/cargo carrying capacity is unbelievable. If your city uses the Xb for taxi cabs, then take a ride and evaluate. This is why I bought one. Our city has many with 125,000 to 349,000 miles with VERY LITTLE PROBLEMS. I get between 27 and 33 miles per gallon depending on load and where I drive. This is one fantastic vehicle and I owe this forum and our Taxi's for sharing information. I am modding mine and enjoy doing so. It is affordable to do! Buy the Xb and you can buy a Sunday sports car!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:03 AM
SL Member

You're trying to compare an xB with luxury cross-overs? That's like comparing a Corolla to an ES350, TSX, & TL. BTW, turbos require just a little more of this and that, but have a very high fun factor. Just go drive all of them and make your decision. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe I'm a dummy, but I just don't get what you're trying to do. If you want a turbo car, why buy an xB2? It's not designed for speed and it'll cost you plenty to have a turbo installed -- makes no sense to me. I've a turbo Eclipse with a few mods and it'll pull quite nicely and I love the car, but frankly, I rarely see much point in pulling more than moderately, and the xB2 will definitely do that with a few judicious mods and no turbo required. If your goal is speed, don't get an xB2 -- makes no sense!