Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

TYC LED Tails Brake Light Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default TYC LED Tails Brake Light Failure

I have the factory accessory LED tails on my 2008 xB. The turn signals work fine, and the parking lights work fine. Only the brake lights on the LED tails failed. This is really weird. First the ones on the drivers side stopped working (just a few of the LEDs would light up very faintly when you step on the brakes. The passenger side still worked fine. Then a few weeks later the same thing happened to the passenger side. This is obviously very dangerous as the only real brake light was the center high mount one. So I put the original tails back on today and they work just fine. I had them on for quite a while, almost a year I think. The problem is they were a gift, so I don't have a receipt for them. Should I just carry them into a dealer parts store and see what they will do? Or take them to a service dept? Or put them back on and take the car into service? Will they deny any warranty because I didn't buy the car with them on? If they deny warranty, is there a way to get them fixed or do I just have to throw them away and buy a new set? It seems crazy that such an expensive thing would fail. I know the fixtures have circuit boards and capacitors inside. But I noticed that they are made in Taiwan, not Japan. If I have to get new ones I would like to find some that are actually made in Japan. I thought TYC products are supposed to be very high quality.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try the dealership, and try and get a reciept. Sucks to hear about that. I bought some aftermarket LED license plate bulbs, had a burning out problem too. Weird.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Yep. Happened to me. Take them back to the dealer with the receipt and you should get some new ones. That's what happened with me, at least.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

same with my lights... got new ones but yet to put them on
Old 12-23-2008, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how long did you guys have the lights before having any type of problems?
i've heard the anzo led have some problems also
Old 12-23-2008, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I had mine about 8 months.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now i'm getting alittle worry coz mine is aroung 6months
good thing i kept the stock for back up
Old 12-24-2008, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My understanding is they have a lifetime warranty from TYC. So given that I don't have a receipt, I should still be able to swap them out at the dealership. Unless someone in the area has a receipt I can use
Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not sure where you heard one year from, but i believe its one year, mines went out about 11 months in, got them into the dealership 3 days before the one year mark....now got another year for the new lights which not sure if i want to put them back on
Old 12-25-2008, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It sounds like they are very poorly made and they all fail in a short period of time. This is very dangerous given that it is the brake light portion that fails, and it gives you no warning. No light on the dash, nothing. This could cause a lot of accidents. I believe Toyota should issue a recall on these units. It makes me curious, why are there so many problems with LED lights? It seems no matter who makes them, they all fail. I notice that the ones for sale on ebay only have a 90 day guarantee. It seems to me like it's just flushing $200+ down the drain. Maybe there is a shop somewhere that can repair these units properly so they don't fail?
Old 12-25-2008, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is the reason i dont want to get the led tails, too many failures with them.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Need receipt for TYC tails - Orange County - Help please!

I called up my local Toyota parts dept. and talked to the guy there. He was very helpful and said that they carry a one year warranty. I have no receipt for them. He said that without a receipt there is nothing he can do. But he said if I can get a receipt from somebody he would be more than happy to replace them for me (it just has to be within the one year time frame, and it can be from any dealer.) I would really appreciate if someone in the area with a receipt can help me out with this. Otherwise I will just throw the taillights in the trash and call it a loss. I feel really stupid throwing away a $300 set of taillamps but I don't know what else to do. Thanks to anyone who can help!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Anybody with a receipt? The only other thing I can think of is to buy a new set, then exchange the old set with the receipt. Then I will have two good sets and a receipt. Then I can ebay off one set, and keep the other set and receipt. Any other ideas? Thanks!
Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the dealer should have a record of the order on the computer! I ordered My set from sparks online and they actually found my order in their computer! Sent me a new set cause 1 went and a couple of days later 2nd one went out and a prepaid sticker to pay shipping back to them. When I called all they needed was mileage and Vin # to verify the order and do the paperwork!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:09 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Don't throw them away, find someone who can repair them or send them to me and I'll pay for the shipping. LOL
Old 12-27-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Another question I have is this: Assuming the lights will fail every 6-8 months, does the clock restart on the 1 year warranty every time they replace them? If so, I can keep getting them replaced over and over again. If not, then I will have to think of something else. Also, maybe I will try calling the Scion experience and see if they can replace them for me. Has anyone tried that yet? The dealership even acknowledged that they were a low quality part because they are not made by Toyota. Isn't Toyota harming their own reputation by selling parts that are not up to their standards?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i believe the clock does start over....
Old 12-28-2008, 10:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That would be rare. Most warranties are from the date of original purchase. If you get your second set on day 364, you get a one day warranty with those lights.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any OEM replace item gets a 12-month warranty from date of replacement, unless otherwise noted, including accessories. Just remember to mention it was replaced so they can check the date it was performed.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good to know.

Quick Reply: TYC LED Tails Brake Light Failure