Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Update: First 2 maintenances free on 08 xB, manual misprint!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Update: First 2 maintenances free on 08 xB, manual misprint!

I was told at last minute I only get 2 free oil changes on the 2008? I thought it was 3 before?

??? Anyone know???
Old 06-02-2007, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I just dug through the stuff that came with the car, and there was a tag that stated, "you new scion's first two maintenance services are free". It had the new xB, xD, and tC in the photo. So this must be new for 2008. So it looks like it isn't 3 anymore.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:16 AM

I was told by the service manager at my dealership that it's 3 free oil changes.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

On the 2008's? There was a little tag in the car that says two (I just found it). She originally wrote 3 on the sheet when finalizing the sale, but then the sales person came in and said, no it is 2, they changed it for 2008.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:46 AM

Yeah, the 08 XB. Maybe my service manager doesn't know what she's talking about.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member

Do a little searching folks - this has been discussed.

It was 3 but with the 2008 it's only 2.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was also told that it would include tire rotation, belt checks and stuff as opposed to just plain 'ol oil change..
Old 06-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Free oil changes for like

My 08 xB came with FREE oil changes for life thats the reason I went to the dealer I did. Don Jacobs Sicon in Milwaukee. I did check it out with the service manager they are free for as long as I or a family member own the car to charge for anything!
Old 06-02-2007, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a warning, some dealers promise free oil changes for life and guarantee the engine for life. Then, you read the fine print. One local dealer here gave free oil changes, as long as the "recommended" service was done with each one. That service was a minimum of $64.95, then they would deduct $24.95 for the free oil change. At certain intervals, it was $130 something and as much as $300 something for the recommended" service. If you read what they were doing, most of it was "checking" things, not fluid replacements, etc...

I decided against this dealer on this basis alone...
Old 06-02-2007, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Free oil changes for like

Originally Posted by ScionMKE
My 08 xB came with FREE oil changes for life thats the reason I went to the dealer I did. Don Jacobs Sicon in Milwaukee. I did check it out with the service manager they are free for as long as I or a family member own the car to charge for anything!
My car came for Don Jacobs....on a dealer trade to safro. I didn't know that they offered free oil changes for life! Oh well, Safro gave me one on top of the 3 from Scion.

As far as the 3 vs 2 free oil changes, I think they are offering a better deal considering you get the free tire rotations. At most dealerships thats 25 bucks right there.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This getting common at dealers. They are just setting it up to guarantee they have you as a dedicated customer. Not really a scam, but you will pay for those oil changes in keeping up with the "required" services.

This is just a variation of the "free tires for as long as you own your vehicle" deal. Car Talk does a pretty good explanation of that here:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/wheels...tml?source=rss
Old 06-02-2007, 07:25 PM

colonial scion in ct gave me free oil changes for life but they are every 5000 miles
Old 06-03-2007, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Xtreme_Graphics
Just a warning, some dealers promise free oil changes for life and guarantee the engine for life. Then, you read the fine print. One local dealer here gave free oil changes, as long as the "recommended" service was done with each one. That service was a minimum of $64.95, then they would deduct $24.95 for the free oil change. At certain intervals, it was $130 something and as much as $300 something for the recommended" service. If you read what they were doing, most of it was "checking" things, not fluid replacements, etc...

I decided against this dealer on this basis alone...
Wow, that is a good trick. I see tune-up services advertised where they want $80 for, and other than an oil change, everything else is "checking" stuff. What a rip off!
Old 06-03-2007, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you get a coupon for the 2 free services? I didn't get anything at the day of delivery. I assume they mail something or it is in a computer somewhere??? Anyone?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:03 AM

It's 2 now, at my dealer they thru in free lifetime car washes to, also lucky for me I get free oil changes as well because my brother is a tech there.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

talking to my service guy it is 2 free oil changes and a rotation but if I go where I bought it...it is free for life :D
Old 06-03-2007, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am guessing that since it comes from "Scion" and not the dealer you don't have to worry about a coupon and you can take it anywhere.

I went to the "new owners" event at my dealership and got a free oil change coupon, not sure how I will use it.

I was told the difference between the 2 free and 3 free oil changes was the recommended service intervals on oil change increased. I was also told that the "whole" first 2 services are included meaning they rotate tires too.

Originally Posted by xbtalk
Do you get a coupon for the 2 free services? I didn't get anything at the day of delivery. I assume they mail something or it is in a computer somewhere??? Anyone?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XBFred
I am guessing that since it comes from "Scion" and not the dealer you don't have to worry about a coupon and you can take it anywhere.

I went to the "new owners" event at my dealership and got a free oil change coupon, not sure how I will use it.

I was told the difference between the 2 free and 3 free oil changes was the recommended service intervals on oil change increased. I was also told that the "whole" first 2 services are included meaning they rotate tires too.

Originally Posted by xbtalk
Exactly it's just not oil changes anymore it's the first two FULL serivces that you get done.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:34 PM

the first service is an oil change. the second is a "minor service". fancy name for oil change with rotate. if the car has rear drums like the old xBs then they will adjust them, otherwise its just a visual inspection over the entire car
Old 06-03-2007, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will check, but I believe first service also has rotate tires at 5k miles

Quick Reply: Update: First 2 maintenances free on 08 xB, manual misprint!