Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Victim of road debris

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Team ScioNRG

Default Victim of road debris

So i'm driving on the northern state parkway and all of a sudden I see this nice sized rock flying towards my windshield. I had no chance to react and splat! hit the windshield leaving me about a quarter sized chip/crack on my driver side. Blows. But luckily it's covered under the insurance so hopefully they can repair it or replace it quickly . Has anyone every attempted to repair these chips/cracks before?

Will post some pics later.

Peace and hair grease!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep, just had about a month ago my windshield repaired on my Mini Cooper that got hit and caused about a dime size chip smack in the middle of the windshield. If your glass break coverage is like mine they charge you nothing if it can be repaired, they told me if the damage is confined to less than what can be covered by a dollar bill they repair it, no charge. If larger than the dollar bill test (a crack for example) they replace it and it cost you $100.

The repair, it sucks because you can see it. Hopefully it cracks for you, it's worth $100 for a new one that isn't blemished by an epoxy fix. If I would have know that I would have tested the intergrity of my windshield by pressing on that chip to make sure it didn't crack on me, you have to be safe you know...
Old 08-20-2007, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That isn't road debris, that just a fact of life down here.

Try having a 3 foot 2x4 coming towards you at 70+ mph. Put a nice dent in my Civic's hood, bumper and grille. Luckily it hit the front (calculated move) and bounced right over me.

I still haven't called my insurance company on that though.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:56 AM
SL Member

Yup call your insurance company as soon as you can. I got a decent size crack on the top of my windshield. It was bound to spread by the looks of it, but next day they came out and fixed it. Its not totally invisible, you can see a little blemish but it blends in with the rest of my window lol.

Long story short... get it fixed