Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Warranty about to expire, anything I should do before it does?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Warranty about to expire, anything I should do before it does?

so i'm nearing 35,000 miles right now. i have a little over 1,000 miles left before my warranty is up
anything i should do or go get checked out before the warranty is up? ive had the car for nearly 3 years and havent had any major problems yet.
the only thing i hate is that squeaking i get from the rear hatch/trunk
Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

2008 Scion xB Warranty Program

Basic 3 year / 36,000 miles
Free Maintenance N/A
Drivetrain 5 year / 60,000 miles Roadside N/A Rust 5 year / Unlimited miles
Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you still have power train warranty and rust..so don't think you're completely screwed after 36k miles =)
Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get the ToyotaCare Extended Service contract.

There are a variety of year and mileage combinations that can go as high as 8yr/125k miles. When I bought mine in April 2009, I went with the 0 deductible Platinum (better coverage than the Gold) 6yr/100k for $750. IIRC the 7yr/100k was $810 at that time, but I put too many miles on for the extra year to be needed. I never asked how much extra the 125k would cost, but now I wish I had, just for the extra peace of mind. All that was necessary was a copy of my registration to confirm year & sale date, and a current dated photo of my odo showing total mileage. (Oh, and a credit card.)

So far I have had the water pump, two wheel bearings, and a turn signal flasher replaced under warranty... to the tune of more than $1800 that I didn't have to pay any extra for. Certainly covered my $750 cost.

This is the place I bought mine:

Troy Dietrich
Toyota of Greenfield
12 Olive Street
Greenfield, MA01310

Phone: 413-772-0231
Fax: 413-774-2247
Email: tdietrich@toyotaofgreenfield.com
Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tell them your headlights leak water and also say this is going on with your tail lights & will will get new ones. Thats all i can think of
Old 01-24-2011, 11:43 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Like Cionide said, get the extended warranty. The engine wire harness cost more than that and there seems to be quite a bit a failures with them. Plus it'll cover a lot of other things that may potentially fail.

I see someone posted that rust if covered. Does that include surface rust? I changed the oil last week and noticed it on my right axle...
Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, trade it in.... LOL I keed, I keed! Ironically, I had a scare yesterday with my 08. I was driving around running some errands, stopped to eat something, restarted after lunch and BAM, VSC Off Flash, VSC, and CEL lit brightly. First thought - dreaded harness. Good news, car only has 16k miles, bad news, it was purchased in June of 2007. Out of warranty.

No loss of power, no weird stuff, but the lights remained illuminated the whole way home which was 40 miles. Get home, try to use my OBDII code scanner and I can't link, now i'm really freakin out! Then, do some research and find out that my scanner does not support ISO9141 or CAN. Fail! So I pulled the battery terminals (both) let the PCM clear.
Reconnected power and let it run and idle for 20 minutes, lights stay off. Go to the local Wally world this morning and pick up a decent OBDCan scanner and I get a pending for P0171. Just swapped my stock intake back into the car and was running a K&N before that on the end of a Fujita so I might have gotten some oil on the MAF.

Anyways, the reason I am sharing this is because I cancelled my Toyota Care with the idea that it's a Toyota (reliable, right?) and shouldn't need major service before I end up trading it in on the new hotness. So if you aren't going to get the Toyota Care, get a nice code scanner and get ready to troubleshoot.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you still havig that issue tealtoaster?

Almost sounds like the issue I had with my car just recently. I had bad spark plugs and caused that issue. Just did it when I was at full throttle, but did happen at idle one time. So maybe one time give it gas for a little while at WOT and see if the same thing happens again.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took the car for several small (30 minute or so) trips and I blipped the throttle repeatedly, drove it like Miss Daisy, and launched it like the General Lee. Could not get another pending. The one thing that is curious is that the EV monitor has not completed a diagnostic (icon is still flashing on the scanner) and that could be leading me in a direction I might have to go anyways. I'll preface below:

I pulled the stock intake out and put the Fujita in about 5000 miles ago, when I did that, I noticed that after fill up the car would idle like crap and nearly stall with a full tank of gas. After a few minutes of driving, the condition would go away. I figured it was because I was running an aftermarket intake. Well, with the stock box back in place (sans charcoal insert in upper portion of air box) the car still does it. So maybe I am having an evaporative system problem.

I will have to look into that. I guess this thread will probably convince this guy to buy the extended warranty unless he likes to fix complex engine control problems like I do. :D