What could scion have done better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BFDBOX
pure pricing,

basically you can not negotiate the price of the car no matter how much you put down. etc...etc... car is simply at a set price.
the profit margin is very small on scions, so because of that, they will not allow negotiating, also, it prevents dealers from selling them for thousands over MSRP like what happens with prius selling for thousands over and having to waith months.

i think scion did it so that its target market of younger car buyers wouldn't be pushed out for buying them by older more affluent buyers paying a premium for them over msrp.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 AM

I personally like the XB2, but I do agree that more power outlets would definitely be a good thing, and personally I like a while backing to dash instrumentation; but that's more of a style thing.

I haven't had any issues with the paint (super white) or with the dash being scratched. (knocking on my wood desk as I type).

And a factory option for a moonroof or roof like a mini would have been a cool thing!

Sound dampening underneath the car would have been nice too!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great car " For the price" so I hope all these quips are hypothetical lol cause the car would shoot up to about 23,000 without mods

single low light backup is dense and the single delay speed wiper just stinkos and the multifunction button to get to the time (who thought of that one? Put it on the radio at least.) armrest is subpar but works for me when alone. paint suckos.

carpet, plastic int, no problem with cheapness or scratches yet (no kids thank goodness lol)
Old 08-27-2008, 06:26 PM

Would have been nice if they put the multifunction button on the steering wheel.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a four cylinder

It be nice if it came in a V6. Since alot of scions marketing is to younger people and for people who want trick these things out, would of been nice to have looks and speed..

Is there a reason why they didnt think about putting a v6 into these things. I know theres room....crash safety ratings maybe??
Old 08-27-2008, 08:21 PM

Since Scion is a breakoff of Toyota, I would be willing to bet that the V6 was scrapped as an idea due to pricing; typically the v6 options on any toyota model that starts with a 4 is a good chunk more (not including the other items that they then require you to have in order to get the v-6 that is) and again looking at the target market, price was one of the driving factors.

I would also guess tha they wanted something "lighter" on gas consumption again to appeal to those that are looking for the "cheap" factor.

4 cyl engines also tend to be the thing to roll with for true tuners (easier to add the turbo kit or other "custom" engine mods)
Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whartman77
4 cyl engines also tend to be the thing to roll with for true tuners (easier to add the turbo kit or other "custom" engine mods)

yea its amazing how much power people can get out of 4 cylinders. Its actually quite amazing if you think about it
Old 08-29-2008, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everyone keeps _____ing about the paint on the car but if you go over to the lexus forum its the same way. Its the new regulations on paint that make it chip so easy. So its not just a problem with the Scions.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member

Default Only IF

HID Option for low beams/fogs
stealthing the ipod connectors
Hands Free integration with all head unit options and steering controls for calls
navigation and hands free voice activation/speech recognition
always hot accessory port instead of switched
SNS with video IN ports
GIVE US A DUAL RUMION SUB OPTION
and of course, paddle shifters
Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Only IF

Originally Posted by ScionPhreak
Hands Free integration with all head unit options and steering controls for calls
SNS with video IN ports

this was a 15000 dollar car not a 30 thou merc ok?????

only thing i would change would be the arm rest and maybe no wait thats it
Old 09-03-2008, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Only IF

Originally Posted by coryjames
Originally Posted by ScionPhreak
SNS with video IN ports

this was a 15000 dollar car not a 30 thou merc ok?????

only thing i would change would be the arm rest and maybe no wait thats it
Definately the arm rest too. You don't think Scion could offer most or all of that stuff and keep it under 20-21K car price?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Although I see a lot of complaints about stuff like paint/windshield/interior scratching, those can all be fixed easily except maybe the interior thing. As sucky as scratches are in the interior, it's fine to me for some reason, because I think it shows your car is used and driven, not some garage queen That's just my view.

My only gripe is the weird positioned arm rest, and the other's who ride in my car think it's weird they don't get one. But that's nothing really...
Old 09-08-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No light on the steering wheel volume/station controlers, No light on the dash light dimmer wheel, mirror ajuster. Wiper delays, sunvisors suck!, passenger arm rest, but then again, wtf do you want for 20k.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:21 AM

Considering the number of complaints some of you have made, my question is "How many of you would still purchase the XB2 knowing there were items of concern"? Do the 09's seems thave addressed some or all of the quality issues?

Motoretro
Old 09-08-2008, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by motoretro
Considering the number of complaints some of you have made, my question is "How many of you would still purchase the XB2 knowing there were items of concern"? Do the 09's seems thave addressed some or all of the quality issues?

Motoretro
I am keeping mine, I just like to complain! No change from 08 to 09.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Motoretro
QUALITY ISSUES? I realize this is a thread for people to dream about what they feel the universe should shower them with in an $18,000 CAR, but it's a little ridiculous to refer to these fantasies as "quality issues," don't you think?

If the Gen 1's are any indication, this is a car that will get you to 200,000 miles with little more than oil changes. A transmission dropping out is a "quality issue." The fact that your economy car did not come with hands-free bluetooth integration is NOT.

Furthermore, paint chipping when a rock hits your car is pretty standard across the car market, unless you have an older (read: plastic) Saturn. As for the armrest / dual subs / 4WD / self-parking option...if you want to pay 40 grand for a car, you are more than welcome to do so. There's plenty of cars on the market right now without increasing the price of the xB EVEN MORE. Remember when they were $15,000? Do we really want this trend to continue?

I think y'all went to the wrong dealership...Lexus was across the parking lot.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:15 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Motoretro
I definetly would have bought my first choice (04 GTO), but at the time I bought mine, there were going for low 20s. Less than a year later (due to gas prices), they've dropped to mid teens! I wished I would have waited, but I badly needed a new car at the time.

The main reason I bought the xb2 was because it was really affordable and it wasn't an "ECONOMY" car (ex. yaris, versa, aveo, etc.). It was the best car I could buy for under $20k brand new.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just want a better tranny.... i can work w/ everything else. less road noise would of been cool but hey.... what do you expect for 18k
Old 09-10-2008, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ZOMGXB

Motoretro
QUALITY ISSUES? I realize this is a thread for people to dream about what they feel the universe should shower them with in an $18,000 CAR, but it's a little ridiculous to refer to these fantasies as "quality issues," don't you think?

If the Gen 1's are any indication, this is a car that will get you to 200,000 miles with little more than oil changes. A transmission dropping out is a "quality issue." The fact that your economy car did not come with hands-free bluetooth integration is NOT.

Furthermore, paint chipping when a rock hits your car is pretty standard across the car market, unless you have an older (read: plastic) Saturn. As for the armrest / dual subs / 4WD / self-parking option...if you want to pay 40 grand for a car, you are more than welcome to do so. There's plenty of cars on the market right now without increasing the price of the xB EVEN MORE. Remember when they were $15,000? Do we really want this trend to continue?

I think y'all went to the wrong dealership...Lexus was across the parking lot.
I'm. With. Stupid.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now, i know paint will chip when rocks hit it. thats a given. BUT, the paint is a "quality" issue, in my case. at all the rocker panels, except the drivers (for some reason) there are pin holes in the paint that are rusting (meaning ____ poor primer job, too. and i know that the front of this thing is like a flat nose semi, but damn, i've NEVER had this much paint damage from driving to/from work. it seems to me that it didn't adhear to the primer very well. i still love the car, and would buy it again, but i don't like seeing rust in a car, especially when no one (in the rear, anyway) has used the areas that are rusting. it just makes me sad!!!

Quick Reply: What could scion have done better?