Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

What kind of engine oil should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What kind of engine oil should I use?

The manual states that I should use a 0-20w. I live in Los Angeles, and I tried a couple places and I couldnt find that weight of oil. Does it make a big difference between 0-20w and 5-20w? Someone told me that the car is too early for a oil change, something about the rings on the pistons hasn't sealed. Little info my car has 4500 miles on it. Looking at getting synthetic oil.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i run 5w-30 valvoline durablend with a wix filter and i change both every 5k miles.

your just about to the mileage where you should change it. as for synthetic oil, its nice but not needed. synthetic blend can be just as good and much cheaper.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:25 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Just recently did my first oil change & I used Castrol 5w-20 with an oem toyota filter. Brand wise doesn't really matter as long as you change it on a regular basis. I know alot people say its overkill, but I change mine at 3k miles and have so for years. Once I go synthetic i'll let it run for 5k-6k before changing.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're a stickler like I am about using the recommended 0W-20, you will have to stick with full synthetic, as I am not aware of a dino oil in this grade yet.

I use Toyota's own 0W-20 full synthetic. It's reasonable at about $4.50 per quart at places like Mechanicsville Toyota online.

It's not like Toyota makes it anyway. It's probably Mobil or SOPUS, then re-labeled.

The part number is 00920-1QT0W-01.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How cold does it get in LA? I'm in MD and using Mobil One 5-20W. I've always preferred the extra protection of a heavier weight oil to the miniscule fuel economy benefit of lighter weight oils. If I lived somewhere that gets a lot colder than MD, I'd run 0-20W but the manual states that 5-20W is fine.

Multi-viscosity oils start with a base oil at the light end of the multi-vis range and use polymers to make the oil behave like a heavier weight when hot. I just don't like the idea of running 0W base oil. 5W is the same as sewing machine oil, which is pretty thin stuff.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't know you sewed Fred.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Funnyguy lol

Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com
Great info there on oil.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its ok to run a heavier oil but dont be surprised if your mpg suffers just a lil. you also may get a little more power out of a heavier oil.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeh, I'm good for a little levity once in a while. But I only do it in complete fun with people I appreciate and respect.

Sincerely, thanks for all the help you've given me in the various thread exchanges Fred (you too uberspeed).
Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm using Amsoil's 0w20 in mine w/ an Amsoil oil filter... I plan on running 5k intervals (I do a lot of 1mi or less driving). I get a sweet hookup on it, so it doesn't cost me any more than your standard over-the-counter synthetic.

I know synthetic is overkill for most, but I figure why not when I get such a good deal on it.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by goaliesmk
its ok to run a heavier oil but dont be surprised if your mpg suffers just a lil. you also may get a little more power out of a heavier oil.
BTW, isn't this logic a little skewed? Thicker oil (more resistance) will give you more power? That should be reversed... thinner oil (less resistance) will give you more power.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SiXX
Originally Posted by goaliesmk
BTW, isn't this logic a little skewed? Thicker oil (more resistance) will give you more power? That should be reversed... thinner oil (less resistance) will give you more power.
You are right. the heavier oil will have a slight decrease in power. Probably not noticable, however, if you check gas mileage religiously, you may notice a slight drop.

Assuming you live somewhere with normal temp. ranges, I would use the lightest weight oil recommended.

Also, I personally plan on switching to either Mobil1 or Toyota synthetic after the first 2 free Scion oil changes. Its not usually recommended to run synthetic too early to allow the rings to seal properly
Old 12-04-2007, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did my first oil change the other day. I got 5-20 synthetic blend Motorcraft oil at Walmart for $10.00 for a 5 quart jug. I will switch to full synthetic on my next oil cange at about 7,000 miles.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Remember one major advantage of synthetic oil, it will not sludge. Oil sludge in a small engine is fatal, and only happens with dino.

Remember that the heavier the oil, the more work is required to push it. Heavier oil also takes longer to circulate and reach proper pressure during startup. Another reason thinner oils are pushed is because they better lubricate tight clearances. Engines are being built with much tighter bearing clearances which require thinner oils to properly lubricate.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Only when I absolutely have to!

Smartass!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My father used to tell me: "Everybody likes a smart guy, nobody likes a smartass." Whoops!?! Me bad. (Won't be the first time, won't be the last.) Thanks for appreciating the joke Fred.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, i completely agree with the sludge build up from conventional oils. todays engines are so well built and don't require large clearances like the old engines do. i'm a firm believer in synth oils. thats not to say that everyone should run synth oil. i know that after i get my next and last comp oil change, i'll be running royal purlple 0w-20. i've already got their gear oil in the tranny. amsoil is another great oil!!! run what you want. just do a bit of research and see what you like.