Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Who has experience installing aftermarket navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
SL Member

Default Who has experience installing aftermarket navigation?

Ok, after what seems like an endless amount of searching, I can't find a stereo place that will help me install my in-dash navigation for cheap.

So...time to DIY.

Perhaps you guys can help me out here.

My Vehicle: 2008 Scion xB
Current Headunit: Factory
Future Headunit: Avic F90BT

Information that I have researched and gathered here:

Here's a PDF on how to install the factory navigation (if I had bought it with my car)

Here's a PDF on how to install the F90BT

Information about my wiring that I found here on this forum:

Code:
#513391: 2008 SCION XB 4DR SUV
Audio/Mobile Video
WIRE COLOR POLARITY LOCATION
Battery LIGHT GREEN (+) RADIO HARNESS
Accesory GRAY (+) RADIO HARNESS
Ground BROWN (-) RADIO HARNESS
Illumination GREEN (+) AT RADIO HARNESS
Power Antenna ORANGE (+) RADIO HARNESS
LF Speaker (+) PINK
LF Speaker (-) VIOLET
RF Speaker (+) LIGHT GREEN
RF Speaker (-) BLUE
LR Speaker (+) BLACK
LR Speaker (-) YELLOW
RR Speaker (+) RED
RR Speaker (-) WHITE

Speed Sense VIOLET (AC) AT RADIO HARNESS
ALSO AT ECU MODULE PIN A8
Speed Sense purple ac radio harness

Reverse Lights RED (+) AT INTERIOR FUSE BOX -
TOP LEFT CORNER
Reverse Light red + fuse box, top L, 30 pin plug, pin 30
"VSS Wire Behind Radio 20 pin plug PURPLE wire Pin 3"
Accessories that I'm going to buy/bought already:

Double DINN In-Dash Reciever (because according to research the F90BT is not wide enough to fit)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1209582...eiver-Kit.html

Receiver Wire Harness

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207017...e-Harness.html

I've read the bypass threads: here, here, here, and here

Ok, please, I have no experience in installing anything electrical...so...

1st. what's my first step? I don't know how to crimp OR solder wires....which of these products should I buy?

I think these POSI-PRODUCTS (halfway down the site) listed here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_820/Ins...ls.html?tp=990

will help an amateur like me, but which one do i buy? I don't know what guage wire sizes i'm looking for to buy the right set. I also don't know how many I need.

2nd. I'm pretty sure i'm going to do the software bypass, the software bypass has very detailed answers about what to do with those files in the SD card and yada yada

BUT

There isn't much information along with PICTURES that tell me what to do with a light green parking wire that everyone mentions very vaguely before going on about the software side of the bypass again.

What is going on with it? Please refer back to the top of the post and check out the PDF I've posted about installing the factory navigation. Is there something about the parking wire that I missed that I was supposed to do?

3rd. VSS wire, this is the information i've located about it:

Code:
Speed Sense VIOLET (AC) AT RADIO HARNESS
ALSO AT ECU MODULE PIN A8
Speed Sense purple ac radio harness
Is this wire supposed to be crimped/solder onto something else? I thought the wiring harness I'm buying would have taken care of everything. Where does this wire go in relation to the harness? Does it plug directly into a headunit?

4th. Reverse wire. Same question as the VSS Wire

Code:
Reverse Lights RED (+) AT INTERIOR FUSE BOX -
TOP LEFT CORNER
Reverse Light red + fuse box, top L, 30 pin plug, pin 30
"VSS Wire Behind Radio 20 pin plug PURPLE wire Pin 3"
Is this wire supposed to be crimped/solder onto something else? I thought the wiring harness I'm buying would have taken care of everything. Where does this wire go in relation to the harness? Does it plug directly into a headunit?

You can tell I've been researching everything, and I've provided as much information as I could, is there anything else I'm missing before I finish purchasing everything? Sadly, this will be the first time I've taken a car apart to install something, but I figured I'll learn from this experience.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its been a lil while but i believe all i did was ground my parking brake wire it was either ground it or give it power one of the two. it only works one way.. i did it right the the harness. no need to do the bypass
Old 01-27-2009, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1 - I've always just used the twisty wire connectors, they dont look nice, but they get the job done. Soldering would be best, but it's not required. It would be a good idea to do this BEFORE you tear open your dashboard. You can connect the universal wire harness to the pioneer harness in the comfort of your own home!

2 - I'm not sure. Bypassing my D3 was fairly simple. Moving a wire to a different place on the harness and grounding it. I dont have any experience with Pioneer's new models so I dont know what to tell you.

3 - From what I'm reading it looks like it's already there in the stock radio harness (to be used by the stock nav system). It might be on the universal adapter you are purchasing though, but it shouldn't be a problem to get a T splice and connect it to the right place on the Pioneer harness. Unfortunately, I decided against installing a Navi in my xB so I haven't seen this first hand.

4 - I believe I have seen threads where the reverse wire was somewhere by the E-brake. The thing about it is, you'll only need it if you plan on connecting a back-up camera. So you might not even need it. I never used it in my D3 in my old car, and it all worked just fine.

Good luck with the install. Come back to this thread if you have problems, I'll be watching.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:56 PM

I saw in another post that you got this installed. Did you have any trouble with the stock harness? And did you install satellite radio at the same time? Do your steering wheel controls still function? and your AUX input?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:56 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skittlebrau
I saw in another post that you got this installed. Did you have any trouble with the stock harness? And did you install satellite radio at the same time? Do your steering wheel controls still function? and your AUX input?
1.) No problem with the stock harness. You have 2 options, either buy wiring harness like I did (makes installation alot easier) or, splice your original harness, and crimp it with the new headunit.

2.) I did install Satellite Radio at the same time. I have XM and HD installed. You can chain them together using the IP-BUS that Pioneer provides natively, no splicing of wires necessary.

3.) Steering wheel controls still fuction with the help of a PAC SWI-PS controller that coverts the signal from the toyota/scion signal to a wired pioneer signal.

4.) I have iPod, and aux inputs into my headunit still function like a RS6 model
Old 02-11-2009, 12:00 AM
SL Member

you can also repin the second (rca preout harness) to bypass that ebrake wire. just google bypass for Avic BT90T and you can find it. where I work we solder all our connects, but that is because we have lifetime warranties on installs and solder is less likely to go bad or fall off.
metra makes smart harnesses that will plug into your avic and your scion therefore not soldering or crimping.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:50 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by bego
you can also repin the second (rca preout harness) to bypass that ebrake wire. just google bypass for Avic BT90T and you can find it. where I work we solder all our connects, but that is because we have lifetime warranties on installs and solder is less likely to go bad or fall off.
metra makes smart harnesses that will plug into your avic and your scion therefore not soldering or crimping.
uhhh, how do you make a "smart harness" when the F90BT comes with just wires with no type of connector attached??

LOL

you are going to have to crimp/solder at least on the avic side. You can get an adapter like i listed above in the 1st post to avoid crimping/soldering on the scion side.

Bypass listed here: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18977
Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 AM
SL Member

you can find some on the internet and there was a retailer that sold them, but they just went bankrupt.... I was simply making a suggestion because I would rather solder especially considering I have heard each smart harness was going for about $40 a piece and you need two (one for car side and one for avic side) personally I would spend a few minutes and at least crimp wires for that price
I am also curious if you knew how to take that stock deck out?
I have that kit that you listed too and I would just say be careful with it because I broke my first one when doing my D3, but that was just me being in a hurry because the day was running out
Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by bego
you can find some on the internet and there was a retailer that sold them, but they just went bankrupt.... I was simply making a suggestion because I would rather solder especially considering I have heard each smart harness was going for about $40 a piece and you need two (one for car side and one for avic side) personally I would spend a few minutes and at least crimp wires for that price
I am also curious if you knew how to take that stock deck out?
I have that kit that you listed too and I would just say be careful with it because I broke my first one when doing my D3, but that was just me being in a hurry because the day was running out

its super easy, i'll try to describe it the best i can with the pics i found on the newscionxb, so here it goes...

1. With both hands grab firmly the black trim around the radio...

2. PULL BACK towards you, on the trim. you should feel it pop out
3. There is another small trim piece that needs to be pulled out, it is located at the bottom of the the radio.
4. There are four 10mm bolts that hold the radio in that need to be removed.
5. Once bolts are removed, the radio should pull right out!!!

Here's a PDF on how to install the factory navigation (if you had bought it with my car)

And there's no such thing as this smart harness that would connect on the avic side since its a bunch of wires not connected together. just admit you're wrong. there is a harness for the car side that is plug and play but not one for the avic.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:24 PM

Thanks for your quick and helpful answers! Here is a couple of follow-ups;

When you say you still have ipod and aux import, it still works through the same port as before right? the one by the ebrake area? not a new wire?

And did you mount your gps antenna in the dash and the XM on the roof like a factory install would be?

Thanks again for all the info! Nice to have someone else who did this to get all these answers from before I dig in too deep!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:23 PM
SL Member

Thanks for your quick and helpful answers! Here is a couple of follow-ups;

When you say you still have ipod and aux import, it still works through the same port as before right? the one by the ebrake area? not a new wire?

And did you mount your gps antenna in the dash and the XM on the roof like a factory install would be?

Thanks again for all the info! Nice to have someone else who did this to get all these answers from before I dig in too deep!
I re-routed the my Aux and iPod cable to inside the glove compartment because I never like my iPod sitting out in the middle. When you open up your car, you'll see that you can easily put the cables through there instead.

The GPS antenna, you can place it where the factory location would be, which is right above the air conditioning duct, take a look at the PDF file I posted. Follow it like you're installing the factory one (except the harness will be different obviously)

The XM antenna is on the roof, but the unit controlling it, you can place in 2 places. Either do it like factory, which goes underneath the driver's seat, or you can do it like me, and place it behind the cluster gauge.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:23 PM

okay, one last question for you. I assume you are using the TOY-SC1 for the interface for your satellite radio, what receiver are you using? and did you need to get the Pioneer Sirius Bus Interface thing also?

Basically, I am trying to figure out how your interface works for everything.

Right now I have a TOY-SC1, and Sirius SC-C1, that I WAS going to throw on the stock radio right away, but then I saw you super deal on the F90BT and HAD to have one!

So other than the module to add the steering wheel controls, what other pioneer gear did you need to install this?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 PM
SL Member

okay, one last question for you. I assume you are using the TOY-SC1 for the interface for your satellite radio, what receiver are you using? and did you need to get the Pioneer Sirius Bus Interface thing also?

Basically, I am trying to figure out how your interface works for everything.

Right now I have a TOY-SC1, and Sirius SC-C1, that I WAS going to throw on the stock radio right away, but then I saw you super deal on the F90BT and HAD to have one!

So other than the module to add the steering wheel controls, what other pioneer gear did you need to install this?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SWIP...+swips&tp=3405

PAC SWI-PS

Use the PAC SWI-PS to use the steering wheel controls with the pioneer headunit, its basically plug and play.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130GEXP...HD.html?tp=134

Pioneer GEX-P10HD

Use the Pioneer GEX-P10HD for HD radio.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700SIRP...age.html?tp=87

SiriusConnect™ Pioneer Package

Use this if you want SIRIUS (which I don't recommend, use XM) and get the "best of sirius" instead.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P920...0XM.html?tp=87

Pioneer GEX-P920XM

You can daisy chain all of 3 receivers NATIVELY, without splicing or cutting wires. It has an IP-BUS input and IP-BUS output on each unit which you can connect. You're not going to be able to use the TOY-SC1 or the Sirius SC-C1 on the Pioneer F90BT
Old 02-12-2009, 01:40 PM

I agree about XM since I would really like having the baseball games, but I have Sirius in my work vehicle, so I was thinking of going that way just for the familiarity of it.

Thanks for all the input! You have been a huge help. Luckily, I bought my TOY-SC1 from a local guy, so I can return it since it looks like I won't need it anymore!