Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Winter Handling

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:42 AM

Default Winter Handling

I am looking to purchase an 08 xB Manual and wanted to know how well they handle in the snow and wintery conditions. I live in a part of PA where when it snows, they don't plow the roads until the storm is over ... so getting anywhere is kind of tough without 4WD/AWD
Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the factory tires suck pretty bad... Id look into a better set of tires first and Im not really sure what else to suggest other than a Limited Slip Differential. IDK if stiffer suspension helps in winter lol.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:04 PM

I don't know how crazy I would want to go as I am going to be purchasing this for use as a business vehicle ...
Old 09-24-2009, 03:40 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Like xd40tc said just get a good set of tires. We don't get much snow here but last year we had a day of it that actually stuck to the ground and the traction control kept freaking out when I was try to take off from a stop sign/traffic light (I have a 5 speed btw). I blame the crap Goodyear Eagle RSA tires it came with for the problem.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:53 PM

Would two fronts be alright or would you recommend all four be done?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

If you only replace the front, you'll outdrive the rear. Just replace them all with a quality tire and you'll be fine.

I live in the middle of nowhere, IA and I get around just fine in the winter time. Even did "ok" with the stockers. I ended up getting some snow tires for free and never had any issues..
Old 09-24-2009, 04:00 PM

I figured as much. I've had FWD, Manual cars before and I find them much easier to drive in the winter anyways (except for my first which was a Nissan Sentra - spun that one around in a 180 once).
Old 09-24-2009, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

buy a 4x4
Old 09-24-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by mnscionxb
buy a 4x4
LOL! Already got one - a Nissan Rouge. Do you find the xB to be that bad?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by ChrisW
(except for my first which was a Nissan Sentra - spun that one around in a 180 once).
Funny you mention that. I had a 91 SE-R, BEST car to drive in the winter hands down....
Old 09-24-2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by HATEnFATE
Funny you mention that. I had a 91 SE-R, BEST car to drive in the winter hands down....
Of course, winter driving is fun NOW ... but when you have a light-as-a-piece-of-paper car and it is your first time driving in the snow ... what you call fun turns into an underwear changing event!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Originally Posted by HATEnFATE
The '91 SE-R was and still is an awesome car to drive, not to mention its light and IIRC has LSD! Do you still have it?

Back on topic, I have an '04 xB and I used to drive through some snow very spritedly and I was on high performance summer tires which shouldn't be used in the snow. I consider myself to be a skilled driver and as long as you know what you're doing and have good tires that are meant for the snow you'll be fine in almost any car.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:26 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Would two fronts be alright or would you recommend all four be done?
I highly recommend getting all 4 done. Are you getting all-season tires or winter specific tires? A slimmer tire would also help in winter coniditions as well.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by AAG
I highly recommend getting all 4 done. Are you getting all-season tires or winter specific tires? A slimmer tire would also help in winter coniditions as well.
If snow tires were recommended, then I was going to do 2 of them. If all season, then four.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Worst thing you can do is put 2 snow tires on your car. Your front will make the turn but you'll loose the back. The only safe way to do two snow tires is if you're putting them on the rear end of a RWD vehicle. All or nothing for FWD.

I don't have the SE-R anymore. I decided to let her(and the other 3) go. Unfortunatly, every one I've sold has been totalled by the new owners.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use the xB as my winter car and installed General-Tire Altimax Arctic snows on all four corners with the OE steel rims. I moved the stock Bridgestone All-Season tires to a set of alloy rims for the rest of the year. I got the tires from TireRack.com.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Altimax+Arctic
Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

If snow tires were recommended, then I was going to do 2 of them. If all season, then four.
If you get snow tires get all 4. You can get away with 2 new front All-season tires since the originals are A/S, but I would recommend 4 either way, the stock tires are terrible.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i was really concerned about winter driving, and having a business vehicle with no plans for modification, i would get a subaru. either an outback, or impreza wagon, or a forester.

they're probably a bit slower and get less mpg than the xb, but subaru's AWD system pwns all.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Subaru FTW. I had an Outback, loved it. Handled great, very comfortable seating, lot of great standard features and I averaged 28 mpg!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an o8. the stock tires are just bad get rid of them. I have falken 912's and but so far 18,000 on em. Love them. other than that. its all on your awarness and how you drive. I don't let weather affect me i just know how to drive better than ur average douche out here in upstate NY. So get new tires ASAP.

*btw discountire and tirerack are great places to look. either way i love my xb and go snowboarding and drift it all the time.

Quick Reply: Winter Handling